    800, 1000 and even 3200!

    Is this just a marketing tool or have noise levels been reduced to make
    such high iso's useful?
    Richard Blackwood, Jul 4, 2006

  2. Richard Blackwood

    This old Bob Guest

    There is very little noise at high ISO on the better cameras. ISO 1600 is
    very clean on the 20D, for example.

    This old Bob, Jul 4, 2006

  3. On 4 Jul 2006 12:44:30 -0700, "Richard Blackwood"
    <> wrote:

    >My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
    >it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
    >800, 1000 and even 3200!
    >
    >Is this just a marketing tool or have noise levels been reduced to make
    >such high iso's useful?

    ISO 3200 on my 5D has very little noise.

    I've been amazed...

    --

    Scott in Florida
    Scott in Florida, Jul 4, 2006
  4. Richard Blackwood

    sally Guest

    "Richard Blackwood" <> wrote in
    > My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
    > it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
    > 800, 1000 and even 3200!

    Noise depends a lot on the size of your sensor. The tiny sensors in
    compact cameras will get very noisy at higher ISO speeds.
    sally, Jul 4, 2006
  5. Richard Blackwood

    Dave Guest

    The Canon 20D also incorporates noise reduction circuitry. I'm not sure if
    other Canons do or other brands of DSLRs.

    Dave, Jul 4, 2006
  6. On 4 Jul 2006 12:44:30 -0700, "Richard Blackwood"
    <> wrote:

    >My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
    >it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
    >800, 1000 and even 3200!
    >
    >Is this just a marketing tool or have noise levels been reduced to make
    >such high iso's useful?

    I routinely shot ISO3200 with my canon 5D. It's very useful produces
    great images. In fact it can be pushed to over 12800. Might want to
    use a little NN at that point.

    --

    "One, two, and the Depot RAR-O, I will buy you a sweet Banana.
    One, two, and the Depot RAR-O, I will buy you a sweet Banana.

    "Sweet Banana"
    Battle hymm of the Rhodesian African Rifles
    John A. Stovall, Jul 4, 2006
  7. Richard Blackwood

    Pete D Guest

    "John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message
    > On 4 Jul 2006 12:44:30 -0700, "Richard Blackwood"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
    >>it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
    >>800, 1000 and even 3200!
    >>
    >>Is this just a marketing tool or have noise levels been reduced to make
    >>such high iso's useful?

    > I routinely shot ISO3200 with my canon 5D. It's very useful produces
    > great images. In fact it can be pushed to over 12800. Might want to
    > use a little NN at that point.

    Just a touch? ;-)
    Pete D, Jul 5, 2006
  8. Check out the specs and features on the Canon Digic Chipset.

    Noise avoidance is a major design feature of this product line and a big
    reason why I chose to go all Canon when it was time to trade in my
    analog Minolta outfit.

    Digic is in their whole line of products.

    -allan morrison

    Allan Morrison, Jul 5, 2006
  9. Richard Blackwood

    Guest

    Richard Blackwood wrote:
    > My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
    > it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
    > 800, 1000 and even 3200!
    >
    > Is this just a marketing tool or have noise levels been reduced to make
    > such high iso's useful?

    For point & shoot cameras, yes, for the most part it's just a marketing
    tool. Their sensors are very small and generate a ton of noise at
    higher ISOs. For me those high ISO pictures are just unusable. One
    standout in this respect is the new Fuji sensor (Fuji F10, F11, and F30
    use it), which does a great job of keeping the noise down without
    losing detail.

    DSLR cameras have much larger sensors and consequently much less noise.
    I played with a friend's Nikon D70 this weekend, and ISO 1600 pictures
    from his camera look as good or better than ISO 200 pictures from my
    point & shoot (Panasonic Lumix LX1).

    -Gniewko
    , Jul 5, 2006
  10. Richard Blackwood

    EspenM Guest

    "Richard Blackwood" <> wrote:
    > My Canon A40 has ISO 400 as its highest setting. I've hardly ever used
    > it because of the noise. I see now that many cameras are offering ISO
    > 800, 1000 and even 3200!
    >
    > Is this just a marketing tool or have noise levels been reduced to make
    > such high iso's useful?

    The P&S's are getting better and better. See crops and comparison with Canon
    A700 from the new Fuji F30 here:
    URL:http://www.neocamera.com/review_fuji_f30_crops.html
    URL:http://www.neocamera.com/review_fuji_f30_crops2.html

    --