How get Vista PC to write to Win 7 PC someplace other than Public

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by angela g, Dec 28, 2009.

  1. angela g

    angela g Guest

    My old XP laptop and my Vista PC got along very well sharing files on my
    wireless network. Setting up the privileges and sharing was straight forward
    and it pretty much always worked as I expected.

    5.5-year-old laptop finally died last month so I bought a new Win7 laptop.
    The wireless network setting and sharing LOOKED straight forward but the only
    way I can write to the Win 7 laptop from the Vista is if the files are I want
    to write to are in the public documents folder. I've gone thru the motions
    more than once so the Vista should be able to write to other folders on
    laptop but those changes or settings just don't "take".

    Since I have separate virtual drives on each PC, there is no practical way
    for me to limit my file share to Pub Docs Folder on laptop.

    As far as I can tell, I can't use Homegroup since that is apparently only
    for Win 7.

    How can I make Vista have as much accessibility to my Win 7 laptop as it did
    to my old XP laptop?

    Thanks in advance.
    angela g, Dec 28, 2009

  2. You may want to create the same user with the same password on all
    computers. Or this search result may help.
    Windows 7 Issues
    Added Windows 7 to domain and now have no admin privileges · Create
    Windows 7 System Image ... Windows 7: New unidentified network after every
    reboot ...
    www.chicagotech.net/windows7/win7issues.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), Dec 29, 2009

  3. Hi
    When you configure the Network in Win7 use the Work network settings, and
    set the folders that you want to share with permission and users in the same
    way that it is done in Vista.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 30, 2009