    seems to m the most frequently you can do this is every 15mins ??

    Can this be set lower?

    Cheers

    Jax, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Jax

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 07:45:58 +0000, Jax <> wrote:

    >We havea SBS 2000 server which is popping 3 catchall accounts - Its
    >seems to m the most frequently you can do this is every 15mins ??
    >
    >Can this be set lower?

    Not as far as I know.

    But the question is, why? Surely you can wait 15 minutes for an email?

    I pop my email every hour.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Jax

    Jax Guest

    >>We havea SBS 2000 server which is popping 3 catchall accounts - Its
    >>seems to m the most frequently you can do this is every 15mins ??
    >>
    >>Can this be set lower?
    >>

    > Not as far as I know.
    >
    > But the question is, why? Surely you can wait 15 minutes for an email?
    >
    > I pop my email every hour.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Why? Client asked for it.... I guess if you want it more frequent you
    should setup exchange as a full blown SMTP server

    Thanks

    Jax, Mar 6, 2004
  4. Jax <> wrote in message news:<4049a2e1$0$19234$>...

    > Why? Client asked for it.... I guess if you want it more frequent you
    > should setup exchange as a full blown SMTP server

    plus the fact that POP3 isn't a server protocol, and getting a server
    to POP maildown and then redeliver it out is a very ugly kludge

    Nathan Mercer, Mar 6, 2004
  5. Jax

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:04:29 +0000, Jax <> wrote:

    >>>We havea SBS 2000 server which is popping 3 catchall accounts - Its
    >>>seems to m the most frequently you can do this is every 15mins ??
    >>>
    >>>Can this be set lower?
    >>>

    >> Not as far as I know.
    >>
    >> But the question is, why? Surely you can wait 15 minutes for an email?
    >>
    >> I pop my email every hour.

    >Why? Client asked for it.... I guess if you want it more frequent you
    >should setup exchange as a full blown SMTP server

    Can't they be persuaded otherwise? Just mention Exchange and the cost
    of setup and support versus what they have now.

    Also, if they are paying for traffic, then they will just be checking
    their SPAM every 5 minutes (with an ocassional real email. Connecting
    and disconnecting creates overhead, then when they are connected they
    check the mailserver and maybe 9 out of 10 times they get nothing.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 6, 2004
  6. On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:42:54 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > plus the fact that POP3 isn't a server protocol, and getting a server
    > to POP maildown and then redeliver it out is a very ugly kludge

    Yet it's a kludge many Minesweeper Consultant Solitaire Experts insist on
    using _over_ smtp.

    Morons with certificates, go figure.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Mar 7, 2004
  7. Jax

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:42:54 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > plus the fact that POP3 isn't a server protocol

    Do tell us what the letters in the acronym "POP" stand for...

    Post Office ...what?

    Lennier

    --
    Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
    really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our

    Lennier, Mar 7, 2004
  8. Jax

    AD. Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 13:45:06 +1300, Lennier wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:42:54 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >> plus the fact that POP3 isn't a server protocol

    > Do tell us what the letters in the acronym "POP" stand for...
    >
    > Post Office ...what?

    Just coz it says protocol, doesn't make it a 'server protocol'. Or more
    specifically it shouldn't be used as a server to server protocol.

    POP3 strips the SMTP envelope off the messages, which is fine when the
    POP3 mailbox is the last destination for that message (what it was
    designed for) - but it creates ugly kludges for sending it on elsewhere
    after that.

    They'd be far better off using ETRN etc if they don't want port 25 open to
    the net.

    Just because something can be made to work, doesn't necessarily mean it's
    a good idea.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 7, 2004
  9. Jax

    CollectorNZ Guest

    Jax wrote:

    >>> We havea SBS 2000 server which is popping 3 catchall accounts - Its
    >>> seems to m the most frequently you can do this is every 15mins ??
    >>>
    >>> Can this be set lower?
    >>>

    >> Not as far as I know.
    >> But the question is, why? Surely you can wait 15 minutes for an email?
    >>
    >> I pop my email every hour.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > Why? Client asked for it.... I guess if you want it more frequent you
    > should setup exchange as a full blown SMTP server
    >
    > Thanks

    The answer to collecting mail more frequently than 15 minute intervals
    is to use SMTP Dequeing! >:eek:

    CollectorNZ, Mar 7, 2004
  10. Jax

    only-me Guest

    As a small company we use Mdaemon mail server and it can pop every minute.
    The downside is that BCC mail has the address stripped and we have to use
    filtering to figure out who gets what for these.
    Compromise, compromise.

    only-me, Mar 7, 2004