    HD-DVD)?

    Compared to dvds, cds are indestructable. Is there a similar difference
    between dvd and blu-ray?
    scott michaels, Feb 20, 2008

  2. scott michaels wrote:
    > How easily are blu-ray discs (I guess it really does not matter with
    > HD-DVD)?
    >
    > Compared to dvds, cds are indestructable. Is there a similar difference
    > between dvd and blu-ray?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jEbZt6AIQ

    Derek Janssen (don't know about "indestructable", but they're definitely
    *thicker*)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 20, 2008

  3. On a pleasant day while strolling in alt.video.dvd, a
    person by the name of scott michaels exclaimed:
    > How easily are blu-ray discs (I guess it really does not matter with
    > HD-DVD)?
    >
    > Compared to dvds, cds are indestructable. Is there a similar difference
    > between dvd and blu-ray?

    Supposedly blu-ray is quite robust - at least scratch
    resistant, because of the special coating they got.
    HD-DVD is the same materials as DVD but with the higher
    data density, more easily damaged than DVD.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Feb 21, 2008
  4. scott michaels

    Mccain Guest

    "Aaron Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    > On a pleasant day while strolling in alt.video.dvd, a
    > person by the name of scott michaels exclaimed:
    >> How easily are blu-ray discs (I guess it really does not matter with
    >> HD-DVD)?
    >>
    >> Compared to dvds, cds are indestructable. Is there a similar difference
    >> between dvd and blu-ray?

    > Supposedly blu-ray is quite robust - at least scratch
    > resistant, because of the special coating they got.
    > HD-DVD is the same materials as DVD but with the higher
    > data density, more easily damaged than DVD.

    I'd say the are exactly the same. Beta Ray records it's data close to the
    upper edge of the disc which makes it more vulnerable then other optical
    media so an extra coating is applied to protect the data. but that coating
    is not strong and is causing problems. Many discs have been "rotting" and
    "spotting"already and I've seen coatings turn brownish from hot drives
    running in demo machines all day. At least that is what my manager told me.

    Just look up blu Ray rot in a search engine.

    I think a good time to consider buying a player would be late fall 2009
    Early 2010. By then we should know what the next big thing will be and Beta
    Ray specs will be at at least profile 2.0 or 2.5 with cheapers drives around
    and movies..hopefully and the bugs should be mostly worked out.
    Mccain, Feb 22, 2008
  5. On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:04:58 GMT, "Mccain"
    <> wrote:

    >"Aaron Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    >> On a pleasant day while strolling in alt.video.dvd, a
    >> person by the name of scott michaels exclaimed:
    >>> How easily are blu-ray discs (I guess it really does not matter with
    >>> HD-DVD)?
    >>>
    >>> Compared to dvds, cds are indestructable. Is there a similar difference
    >>> between dvd and blu-ray?

    >> Supposedly blu-ray is quite robust - at least scratch
    >> resistant, because of the special coating they got.
    >> HD-DVD is the same materials as DVD but with the higher
    >> data density, more easily damaged than DVD.
    >>

    >I'd say the are exactly the same. Beta Ray records it's data close to the
    >upper edge of the disc which makes it more vulnerable then other optical
    >media so an extra coating is applied to protect the data. but that coating
    >is not strong and is causing problems. Many discs have been "rotting" and
    >"spotting"already and I've seen coatings turn brownish from hot drives
    >running in demo machines all day. At least that is what my manager told me.
    >
    >Just look up blu Ray rot in a search engine.
    >
    >I think a good time to consider buying a player would be late fall 2009
    >Early 2010. By then we should know what the next big thing will be and Beta
    >Ray specs will be at at least profile 2.0 or 2.5 with cheapers drives around
    >and movies..hopefully and the bugs should be mostly worked out.

    just the fact that he uses the term Beta-Ray shows his strong
    anti-blu-ray bias. I would take the commentary about rot with a giant
    piece of salt.

    grant kinsley, Feb 25, 2008
  6. scott michaels

    Philly Guest

    "grant kinsley" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:04:58 GMT, "Mccain"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Aaron Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    >>> On a pleasant day while strolling in alt.video.dvd, a
    >>> person by the name of scott michaels exclaimed:

    >>> Supposedly blu-ray is quite robust - at least scratch
    >>> resistant, because of the special coating they got.
    >>> HD-DVD is the same materials as DVD but with the higher
    >>> data density, more easily damaged than DVD.
    >>>

    >>I'd say the are exactly the same. Beta Ray records it's data close to the
    >>upper edge of the disc which makes it more vulnerable then other optical
    >>media so an extra coating is applied to protect the data. but that coating
    >>is not strong and is causing problems. Many discs have been "rotting" and
    >>"spotting"already and I've seen coatings turn brownish from hot drives
    >>running in demo machines all day. At least that is what my manager told
    >>me.
    >>
    >>Just look up blu Ray rot in a search engine.
    >>
    >>I think a good time to consider buying a player would be late fall 2009
    >>Early 2010. By then we should know what the next big thing will be and
    >>Beta
    >>Ray specs will be at at least profile 2.0 or 2.5 with cheapers drives
    >>around
    >>and movies..hopefully and the bugs should be mostly worked out.
    >>

    > just the fact that he uses the term Beta-Ray shows his strong
    > anti-blu-ray bias. I would take the commentary about rot with a giant
    > piece of salt.

    Is it finished? no. It's in beta.
    Yeah I have a PS3 and profile 1.0 player and HD-DVD but call it what it
    is... Beta Ray

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857067
    Philly, Feb 26, 2008