How far can this lens "see-through"?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by duusu, Nov 27, 2006.

  1. duusu

    duusu Guest

    I have a question about something I recently learned about -- I don't
    know how long it's been around.

    To refresh your memory, or if you don't know about it, check this
    out...

    http://www.kaya-optics.com/products/experiments.shtml

    Until now, all this seems true. I don't know if I'm allowed to
    disbelieve it, but it seems like it didn't create much contraversy.

    There is something that I keep myself with no answer, making me
    disbelieve it:
    In the page I linked above, the last picture you'll see the manequin
    wearing sunglasses. Now, according to Kaya, you can "see-through".
    Now I can see her eyes through the sunglassess, but why can't I see
    through her flesh? Where are her bones and inner organs? I thought
    this is see-through. When does the lens know where to stop?

    Also, another picture showed a big ink stain on a piece of paper. With
    the magic lens you can see through the ink and can actually read the
    word underneath, but I ask myself "why can I see through the ink but
    not through to read the next page?"

    Someone explain this brainkiller please. Or lie to me and say this is
    a scam. But they have videos of people in a swimming pool and you can
    see through.... things. Why can't I see the guy behind her?

    Thanks, everyone.
    duusu, Nov 27, 2006

  2. duusu

    fauger Guest

    1. Advertising

  3. duusu

    duusu Guest

    I don't read Polish.
    duusu, Nov 27, 2006
  4. duusu

    duusu Guest

    I don't read Polish.
    duusu, Nov 27, 2006
  5. duusu

    bongo Guest

    bongo, Nov 27, 2006
  6. duusu wrote:

    > Now I can see her eyes through the sunglassess, but why can't I see
    > through her flesh? Where are her bones and inner organs? I thought
    > this is see-through. When does the lens know where to stop?

    The trick is not in the lens. The trick is in the fabrique of the
    shirt. The lens passes IR light, but stops everything else. The
    fabrique is especial -- it passes IR light. Some of synthetic fabrique
    does it. But not all. And, as a rule, the fabrique made of natural
    fibres (cotton, wool) absorbs IR. With the cotton shirt, you will not
    see the "see-through" effect described in the article.

    Amen.
    =?iso-8859-1?B?bWlubmVz+HR0aQ==?=, Nov 27, 2006
  7. duusu

    mogh baba Guest

    mogh baba, Nov 27, 2006
  8. "duusu" <> wrote in message news:...

    > I have a question about something I recently learned about -- I don't
    > know how long it's been around.
    >
    > To refresh your memory, or if you don't know about it, check this
    > out...
    >
    > http://www.kaya-optics.com/products/experiments.shtml
    >
    > Until now, all this seems true. I don't know if I'm allowed to
    > disbelieve it, but it seems like it didn't create much contraversy.
    >
    > There is something that I keep myself with no answer, making me
    > disbelieve it:
    > In the page I linked above, the last picture you'll see the manequin
    > wearing sunglasses. Now, according to Kaya, you can "see-through".
    > Now I can see her eyes through the sunglassess, but why can't I see
    > through her flesh? Where are her bones and inner organs? I thought
    > this is see-through. When does the lens know where to stop?
    >
    > Also, another picture showed a big ink stain on a piece of paper. With
    > the magic lens you can see through the ink and can actually read the
    > word underneath, but I ask myself "why can I see through the ink but
    > not through to read the next page?"
    >
    > Someone explain this brainkiller please. Or lie to me and say this is
    > a scam. But they have videos of people in a swimming pool and you can
    > see through.... things. Why can't I see the guy behind her?
    >
    > Thanks, everyone.

    This nonsense actually led Sony to remove a valuable
    feature from some of their early Mini-DV cameras in the
    priggish belief that people could use the "X-Ray" feature
    to see through clothes. As a result, we can no longer
    shoot the beautiful daylight IR in video that had been
    possible (see http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/ir.htm for
    some sample frame-grabs from the early Sony TRV-9).
    With many camcorders the IR blocking filter can be
    switched out for "night vision" (using IR light sources),
    but current Sonys force overexposure in daylight. Even
    with IR functionality not disabled and a good IR-pass
    filter in place, the "X-Ray" effect would only work a bit
    with some open-weave materials - hardly worth bothering
    with (if you have ulterior motives...;-). In other words,
    forget it.
    --
    David Ruether

    http://www.ferrario.com/ruether
    David Ruether, Nov 27, 2006
  9. duusu

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 03:49:07 -0800, minnesøtti
    wrote:

    > duusu wrote:
    >
    >> Now I can see her eyes through the sunglassess, but why can't I see
    >> through her flesh? Where are her bones and inner organs? I thought
    >> this is see-through. When does the lens know where to stop?

    > The trick is not in the lens. The trick is in the fabrique of the
    > shirt. The lens passes IR light, but stops everything else. The
    > fabrique is especial -- it passes IR light. Some of synthetic fabrique
    > does it. But not all. And, as a rule, the fabrique made of natural
    > fibres (cotton, wool) absorbs IR. With the cotton shirt, you will not
    > see the "see-through" effect described in the article.

    The fabric isn't all that special. Ever have a 16 year old ask you not to
    use nightshot mode on a Sony camcorder because her Daddy shot her 15th
    birthday that way and "it was embarrassing"?

    As for the Kaya filter, B&H has similar products in stock from most of the
    major filter manufacturers with prices starting around 30 bucks.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Nov 27, 2006
  10. duusu

    Marvin Guest

    It isn't quite a scam because they don't say you can lok
    deep into the body htis way - at least that I saw. You can
    take photos like this with many digicams that can take
    near-infrared (NIR) photos, or with film cameras and
    infrared film. (The film does not, however, cover as large
    a wavelength range as a digicam does.)

    NIR light is more penetrating than visible. Even red light
    is more penetrating than other colors, as you can easily see
    by holding a lit flashlight to the palm of your hand. But
    while NIR does penetrate into tissue, it can't return an
    image from deep in the body. The light scattters much too
    much. It is like trying to lo0k through a glass of milk.
    Light does get through, but it scatters too much to allow
    you to see any detail.

    Marvin, Nov 27, 2006
  11. "J. Clarke" <> writes:

    >The fabric isn't all that special. Ever have a 16 year old ask you not to
    >use nightshot mode on a Sony camcorder because her Daddy shot her 15th
    >birthday that way and "it was embarrassing"?

    What matters is the IR absorption properties of the dyes used on the
    fabric. "Black" fabric may absorb only visible light while passing IR
    freely (apparently typical of organic dyes), or it might absorb all
    frequencies of light.

    The dyes used in colour film pass IR pretty freely; that's why it's not
    safe to look at the sun using any number of thicknesses of colour film
    stacked together. (Not much visible light gets through, so your eyes
    don't blink or squint, but most of the IR is still getting through and
    will cause damage). That's also how film scanners with "ICE" work -
    they make a 4th pass using IR light, and the image dyes are transparent
    in IR but dirt and scratches appear dark.

    On the other hand, the metallic silver in B&W negatives does absorb IR,
    and so does carbon black in ink, so these are opaque even in IR.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Nov 28, 2006