How Effective Are Firewalls and Anti Virus Applications

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jeroen, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. Jeroen

    Jeroen Guest

    "anonme" <"anonme(invalid)"@msn.com> wrote in message
    > No need for a firewall or anti-virus application if your on a Windows
    > Platform and you didn't disable the services Windows leaves open, before
    > your computer went online to the Internet. Your computer already has
    > file and print sharing open and anyone in the world can view what is on
    > your hard drive, add whatever they desire to add, including Backdoors
    > and Trojan Horses. And don't forget that Trojan Horses disable your
    > firewall, whether hardware or software and any anti-virus application on
    > your computer. Want proof of this technology, e-mail me at
    > snailmail222000@yahoo and with your permission this babe will send you
    > the "Redwood Broker Backdoor". Only the "elite" malicious hackers know
    > about this and you won't find any information on the Internet pertaining
    > to it. Let's expose the malicious hackers activity and share this
    > knowledge with the world.
    >
    > Don't forget the malicious hackers use victims computers, running
    > Virtual Private Networks and Dial-Up Servers with Pre-paid Phone Cards.
    >
    > Want to learn it all check out: www.secure2003flop.com
    >
    > Tracker

    Right, so, if I mail you you will send me a virus??
    And it is an unknown virus only elite malicious hackers know about? So
    aren't you an elite malicious hacker by our own definition?

    anonme, Nov 22, 2003

  3. Jeroen

    grw Guest

    Where are the reality police when you need them....

    grw, Nov 22, 2003
  4. Jeroen

    Robert Moir Guest

    grw wrote:
    > Where are the reality police when you need them....

    Theres a whole platoon of them searching my front garden for a pink elephant
    i saw on the way home from the pub last night. Should I call them in to read
    tracker's post?
    Robert Moir, Nov 22, 2003
  5. Jeroen

    grw Guest

    I think the pink elephant has more importance, tell them not to rush.

    grw, Nov 22, 2003
  6. cool another entry for the hosts. Thanks more please!

    --
    George Hester
    __________________________________

    George Hester, Nov 22, 2003
  7. Jeroen

    Jason Guest

    * grw <>:
    > Where are the reality police when you need them....

    They see debbie coming and just hang thier hangs as they recognize a
    lost cause when they see one.

    Jason
    Jason, Nov 22, 2003
  8. Jeroen

    Mike Guest

    > No need for a firewall or anti-virus application if your on a Windows
    > Platform and you didn't disable the services Windows leaves open, before
    > your computer went online to the Internet.

    Dangerous rubbish. A firewall and AV program are essential parts of todays
    Internet connected computer.

    > And don't forget that Trojan Horses disable your
    > firewall, whether hardware or software

    And just how would a Trojan disable the firmware in my router??? Or the
    Firmware and config in my Watchguard Firebox?

    >and any anti-virus application on
    > your computer. Want proof of this technology, e-mail me at
    > snailmail222000@yahoo and with your permission this babe will send you
    > the "Redwood Broker Backdoor". Only the "elite" malicious hackers know
    > about this and you won't find any information on the Internet pertaining
    > to it.

    More rubbish. I found some info here:-
    http://www.glocksoft.com/Reports/PortScanner.htm
    and here http://www.tcports.de/port_3000-3049.html here
    http://thaicert.nectec.or.th/paper/firewall/win2k-firewall/portref.txt

    > Let's expose the malicious hackers activity and share this
    > knowledge with the world.

    OK, give us the information then. Share it, don't sell it.

    > Don't forget the malicious hackers use victims computers, running
    > Virtual Private Networks and Dial-Up Servers with Pre-paid Phone Cards.

    You never have explained this fixation with VPNs being the tool of the devil
    hackers have you?

    > Want to learn it all check out: www.secure2003flop.com

    We could if the site worked! ROFL! Hacked again Tracker?
    Mike, Nov 22, 2003
  9. Bruce Chambers, Nov 22, 2003
  10. <http://www.clueponbook.com/stupid.html>
    Dirk Claessens, Nov 22, 2003
  11. Jeroen

    Mad Max Guest

    What language are you people speaking ? Thought it was English at first
    glance, then it became more confusing with each word. Must be some form of
    Computerese , or a rare form of Pig Latin. On second thought , I understand
    my animals much better than this gobblydegook.

    Mad Max

    Mad Max, Nov 22, 2003
  12. Jeroen

    Volker Birk Guest

    In alt.computer.security Mike <> wrote:
    > "anonme" <"anonme(invalid)"@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> No need for a firewall or anti-virus application if your on a Windows
    >> Platform and you didn't disable the services Windows leaves open, before
    >> your computer went online to the Internet.

    > Dangerous rubbish. A firewall and AV program are essential parts of todays
    > Internet connected computer.

    Sorry, but this is wrong also. Of course, it is a better idea to
    stop offering services first.

    I think, the problem with Tracker is that she offers factoids and
    refuses to discuss them.

    VB.
    --
    X-Pie Software GmbH
    Postfach 1540, 88334 Bad Waldsee
    Volker Birk, Nov 22, 2003
  13. Jeroen

    Bill Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:13:40 +0100, Volker Birk <>
    wrote:

    >I think, the problem with Tracker is that she offers factoids and
    >refuses to discuss them.

    Most likely because she doesn't understand what she just posted.
    Bill, Nov 22, 2003
  14. Jeroen

    n1pop Guest

    Please don't feed the troll.
    n1pop, Nov 22, 2003
  15. Jeroen

    Frans Meijer Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:16:30 -0000, Mike wrote in
    <bpnniq$iq9$>:

    >"anonme" <"anonme(invalid)"@msn.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> And don't forget that Trojan Horses disable your
    >> firewall, whether hardware or software

    >And just how would a Trojan disable the firmware in my router??? Or the
    >Firmware and config in my Watchguard Firebox?

    Well, it's a horse, so it would just have to stand on your router a bit
    to disable the firmware in it.
    Frans Meijer, Nov 22, 2003
  16. Jeroen

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:16:30 -0000, Mike wrote in
    > <bpnniq$iq9$>:
    >

    > >"anonme" <"anonme(invalid)"@msn.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> And don't forget that Trojan Horses disable your
    > >> firewall, whether hardware or software

    > >And just how would a Trojan disable the firmware in my router??? Or the
    > >Firmware and config in my Watchguard Firebox?

    > Well, it's a horse, so it would just have to stand on your router a bit
    > to disable the firmware in it.

    I've installed Watchguard appliances in many locations over the year,
    including government locations and never seen someone disable the
    Firebox units - in fact, on a properly managed firebox I've never even
    read of a documented break.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Nov 22, 2003
  17. Jeroen

    NT Canuck Guest

    NT Canuck, Nov 23, 2003
  18. Jeroen

    NT Canuck Guest

    NT Canuck, Nov 23, 2003
  19. Jeroen

    zliminator Guest

    weren't they being fasicious(sic)? You can't disable the firmware since its
    written in a prom, right?

    zliminator, Nov 23, 2003
  20. Jeroen

    Steve H. Guest

    zliminator wrote:
    > weren't they being fasicious(sic)? You can't disable the firmware since its
    > written in a prom, right?

    >>>Well, it's a horse, so it would just have to stand on your router a bit
    >>>to disable the firmware in it.

    >>I've installed Watchguard appliances in many locations over the year,
    >>including government locations and never seen someone disable the
    >>Firebox units - in fact, on a properly managed firebox I've never even
    >>read of a documented break.
    >>
    >>--
    >>--
    >>
    >>(Remove 999 to reply to me)