    Please, which should I choose? And, where and how in Mozilla browser
    preferences can I permanently solve this "x-msdownload" problem?

    All suggestions appreciated.

    Clint, Jul 14, 2004

  2. Clint

    Jim K Guest

    Clint wrote:
    > I try to download newest Mozilla to replace my old version, but I get
    > presented with a query box that baffles me every time.
    >
    > In essence, the box warns me that the download file is "of type
    > application/x-download (Application)", and informs me that "Mozilla does
    > not know how to handle this file".

    This just means that Mozilla cannot do anything with this file because
    it is not a web page or some other document that Mozilla can handle
    natively. The same prompt will come up if you try to open an
    OpenOffice.org document, Word document, etc.

    > In further text, the box offers radio-button choices as whether I should
    > open the file or save it to disk.

    Click Save to Disk. Save the file in an easy to find location. Then,
    shut down Mozilla and run the downloaded file.

    > I don't know which of these choices to mark, and---fearing that a wrong
    > choice might do irreparable damage---I cancel the download and
    > regretfully abandon whole update process.

    The wrong choice won't hurt anything in this case. However, you should
    always use caution when downloading files from unknown sites because
    they could contain spyware, viruses, trojans, etc.

    > Please, which should I choose? And, where and how in Mozilla browser
    > preferences can I permanently solve this "x-msdownload" problem?

    You can probably tell Mozilla to automatically save these files by
    clicking the "Always use selected action" box in the download prompt.
    However, I strongly recommend leaving it as is for security reasons. It
    won't hurt anything, and will prevent you from downloading things you
    don't want.

    Jim K, Jul 14, 2004

  3. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:16:34 -0500, in Newsgroup--> alt.fan.mozilla, the
    personage of "Clint" <>, courtesy of Message-id
    <hS9Jc.2206$> and wondering whence the lambs &
    piglets, bleated & squealed:

    >I try to download newest Mozilla to replace my old version, but I get
    >presented with a query box that baffles me every time.
    >
    >In essence, the box warns me that the download file is "of type
    >application/x-download (Application)", and informs me that "Mozilla does
    >not know how to handle this file".
    >
    >In further text, the box offers radio-button choices as whether I should
    >open the file or save it to disk.
    >
    >I don't know which of these choices to mark, and---fearing that a wrong
    >choice might do irreparable damage---I cancel the download and
    >regretfully abandon whole update process.
    >
    >Please, which should I choose? And, where and how in Mozilla browser
    >preferences can I permanently solve this "x-msdownload" problem?
    >
    >All suggestions appreciated.

    ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...ozilla1.7.1/mozilla-win32-1.7.1-installer.exe

    Worth a try :)

    Vrodok the Troll, Jul 14, 2004
  4. Clint

    Clint Guest

    Many thanks, Jim. I followed your directions and now have the new
    Mozilla up and running.

    Clint

    Clint, Jul 16, 2004