    4) How would you design a camera - compact or dSLR or other - to stay as
    cool as possible in use in the heat?

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net
    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jul 10, 2007

  2. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Unclaimed Mysteries wrote:
    > 1) How does your camera behave in hot weather?
    >
    > 2) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while in use?
    >
    > 3) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while traveling?
    >
    > 4) How would you design a camera - compact or dSLR or other - to stay as
    > cool as possible in use in the heat?

    Depending on the model, some will expose themselves (sorry about that)
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jul 10, 2007

  3. "Unclaimed Mysteries":

    > 1) How does your camera behave in hot weather?

    Badly. I found myself out in the Hiroshima prefecture summer blazing sun
    with a black camera and a black bag and a black tripod hiking on the hills*
    with almost no shade, and the camera, bag, and tripod temperatures all went
    through the roof. There was no way I could leave the camera (Mamiya 645Pro)
    on the tripod long enough to take a panorama, and the tripod got too hot to
    touch. Presumably, the 5D would be the same story, if not worse.

    *: Here's the neighborhood in a cooler season
    http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/41640617/original

    > 4) How would you design a camera - compact or dSLR or other - to stay as
    > cool as possible in use in the heat?

    White bag, silver camera, white tripod. Unfortunately, there are no such
    things any more. Sigh.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jul 10, 2007
  4. David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Unclaimed Mysteries":
    >
    >> 1) How does your camera behave in hot weather?

    > Badly. I found myself out in the Hiroshima prefecture summer blazing sun
    > with a black camera and a black bag and a black tripod hiking on the hills*
    > with almost no shade, and the camera, bag, and tripod temperatures all went
    > through the roof. There was no way I could leave the camera (Mamiya 645Pro)
    > on the tripod long enough to take a panorama, and the tripod got too hot to
    > touch. Presumably, the 5D would be the same story, if not worse.
    >
    > *: Here's the neighborhood in a cooler season
    > http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/41640617/original

    Nice smooth pano. Stitched? No way.

    >> 4) How would you design a camera - compact or dSLR or other - to stay as
    >> cool as possible in use in the heat?

    > White bag, silver camera, white tripod. Unfortunately, there are no such
    > things any more. Sigh.

    But, what about the BWLs? Won't somebody think of the BWLs?

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    In a time of deception telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -
    George Orwell
    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jul 10, 2007
  5. Dave Cohen wrote:
    > Unclaimed Mysteries wrote:
    >> 1) How does your camera behave in hot weather?

    It behaves well.

    >> 2) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while in use?
    >> 3) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while traveling?

    I just cover it with a towel or a shirt, but that is mostly to keep dust off
    the camera.

    >> 4) How would you design a camera - compact or dSLR or other - to
    >> stay as cool as possible in use in the heat?

    What about the age-old standard method: use white color to reflect the sun
    light

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jul 10, 2007
  6. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Unclaimed Mysteries wrote:
    > 1) How does your camera behave in hot weather?

    Just fine in the heat, but I rarely go to cold places, so I don't know
    about that. Note that smaller sensors will probably have more noise
    when warm than cold, so avoid high ISO settings.

    > 2) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while in use?

    It gets rather hot here in Texas, so I have a metallic colored camera,
    and I try to keep it out of direct sun, and remove it from the car when
    I stop for a long period of time.

    > 3) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while traveling?

    See above, and I have, in the past, put it into a cooler to slow the
    heating if I have to leave it in the car. Note, NO ICE in the cooler,
    it is just to slow the heating.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 10, 2007
  7. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Ron Hunter Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Unclaimed Mysteries":
    >
    >> 1) How does your camera behave in hot weather?

    > Badly. I found myself out in the Hiroshima prefecture summer blazing sun
    > with a black camera and a black bag and a black tripod hiking on the hills*
    > with almost no shade, and the camera, bag, and tripod temperatures all went
    > through the roof. There was no way I could leave the camera (Mamiya 645Pro)
    > on the tripod long enough to take a panorama, and the tripod got too hot to
    > touch. Presumably, the 5D would be the same story, if not worse.
    >
    > *: Here's the neighborhood in a cooler season
    > http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/41640617/original
    >
    >> 4) How would you design a camera - compact or dSLR or other - to stay as
    >> cool as possible in use in the heat?

    > White bag, silver camera, white tripod. Unfortunately, there are no such
    > things any more. Sigh.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    One can get silver colored cameras, and a wood tripod would work well,
    although I wouldn't want to carry one far. A white bag is no problem,
    but one would have to color it white as I have never seen such a color.
    There are, however, cases for camera gear that are aluminum, and
    insulated...
    Ron Hunter, Jul 10, 2007
  8. Unclaimed Mysteries

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:12:14 +0000, Unclaimed Mysteries wrote:

    > David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >> "Unclaimed Mysteries":
    >>
    >>> 1) How does your camera behave in hot weather?

    >> Badly. I found myself out in the Hiroshima prefecture summer blazing sun
    >> with a black camera and a black bag and a black tripod hiking on the hills*
    >> with almost no shade, and the camera, bag, and tripod temperatures all went
    >> through the roof. There was no way I could leave the camera (Mamiya 645Pro)
    >> on the tripod long enough to take a panorama, and the tripod got too hot to
    >> touch. Presumably, the 5D would be the same story, if not worse.
    >>
    >> *: Here's the neighborhood in a cooler season
    >> http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/41640617/original
    >>

    > Nice smooth pano. Stitched? No way.

    If you look closely, you'll see that it's apparently three photos stitched
    together - I note that the left and right one have similar lighting, while
    the center is slightly darker.

    ray, Jul 10, 2007
  9. Unclaimed Mysteries

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:52:56 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > One can get silver colored cameras, and a wood tripod would work well,
    > although I wouldn't want to carry one far. A white bag is no problem,
    > but one would have to color it white as I have never seen such a color.
    > There are, however, cases for camera gear that are aluminum, and
    > insulated...

    In case you were referring to silver colored P&S cameras, some
    silver DSLRs were also produced, such as Nikon's D50. Wasn't
    Canon's 300D or 350D somewhat silvery?

    Bags are no problem if you can get to B&H. Many brands, many
    colors, although I don't recall seeing anything whiter than a light
    tan. I have several genuine camera bags, but the one I use most
    often for the D50 is a small one I found in Rite-Aid, designed
    probably for food or a six-pack of 12oz. cans. It's a pretty well
    built zippered, insulated nylon bag, brand name "Cascade Ridge",
    just large enough to hold the camera with any of my lens except for
    the 75-300mm zoom. It has one more thing going for it, it only cost
    about $6.00. I'd also trust it more than many other bags to keep
    the camera dry in a downpour, thanks to the insulation's lining
    being a waterproof plastic.

    Any bag, though, can be carried within one or two white plastic
    shopping bags. Advantages are that they're free, and help disguise
    the fact that you're carrying photographic equipment worth far more
    than what they usually contain when leaving the supermarket. :)
    ASAAR, Jul 10, 2007
  10. "ray" <> wrote:

    >>> *: Here's the neighborhood in a cooler season
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/41640617/original

    >> Nice smooth pano. Stitched? No way.

    The lack of immediately apparent stitching artifacts is because it's grossly
    downsampled; each of the three frames started out at 8800 x 5600 pixels =
    49MP. No wimpy digital cameras involved.

    > If you look closely, you'll see that it's apparently three photos stitched
    > together - I note that the left and right one have similar lighting, while
    > the center is slightly darker.

    It's three frames with the same exposure, Fuji Reala 120, 35mm equivalent
    lens (55mm actual focal length) so it's close to 180 degrees.

    The sun is off to the right just out of the frame so the sky at the right is
    brighter and the foliage almost backlit. At the left, the foliage is in full
    frontal sunlight, so it's brighter.

    But I could have messed up the scanning exposure or photoshoping the
    individual images prior to stitching; wouldn't have been the first, or last,
    time.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jul 10, 2007
  11. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Clark Martin Guest

    In article <4rNki.6270$>,
    Unclaimed Mysteries
    <> wrote:

    > 1) How does your camera behave in hot weather?

    I have a K-M Z5. First time I used it in hot weather I got a surprise,
    a thermometer ICON popped up in the EVF. It never got to the top mark
    so I don't know what happens when it gets real hot. But after I saw it
    I made sure I kept the camera cool, mostly by keeping it out of the sun
    by shading it with my body.

    This weekend it was hot enough for the thermometer to show up again.

    > 2) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while in use?

    Only as above.

    > 3) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while traveling?

    keep the case out of direct sunlight.

    > 4) How would you design a camera - compact or dSLR or other - to stay as
    > cool as possible in use in the heat?

    Keep the power dissipation as low as possible.

    --
    Clark Martin

    Clark Martin, Jul 10, 2007
  12. Unclaimed Mysteries

    DeanB Guest

    On Jul 10, 1:50 pm, Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    > Unclaimed Mysteries wrote:
    > > 1) How does your camera behave in hot weather?

    > Just fine in the heat, but I rarely go to cold places, so I don't know
    > about that. Note that smaller sensors will probably have more noise
    > when warm than cold, so avoid high ISO settings.
    >
    > > 2) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while in use?

    > It gets rather hot here in Texas, so I have a metallic colored camera,
    > and I try to keep it out of direct sun, and remove it from the car when
    > I stop for a long period of time.
    >
    > > 3) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while traveling?

    > See above, and I have, in the past, put it into a cooler to slow the
    > heating if I have to leave it in the car. Note, NO ICE in the cooler,
    > it is just to slow the heating.
    >

    > > 4) How would you design a camera - compact or dSLR or other - to stay as
    > > cool as possible in use in the heat?

    > >Definitely NOT a black case. Plastic case insulates better than metal. - Hide quoted text -

    Can you not shade the camera when its on the tripod? Either using a
    flash umbrella or something more modest like an aluminum plate on an
    arm also bolted to the tripod?
    DeanB, Jul 10, 2007
  13. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Charles Guest

    RichA?
    Charles, Jul 10, 2007
  14. Unclaimed Mysteries

    SMS Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > See above, and I have, in the past, put it into a cooler to slow the
    > heating if I have to leave it in the car. Note, NO ICE in the cooler,
    > it is just to slow the heating.

    That's fine, as long as the humidity isn't too high, the cooler isn't
    sealed tight, and you don't take the cooler from warm to cool weather.
    What you want to avoid is putting the camera into a non-breathable case
    or bag when the humidity is high and when you're going to take it from
    hot humid conditions into cool dry conditions. You can buy desiccant
    packets from B&H or other places to avoid problems.

    Good camera bags have rain covers available.
    SMS, Jul 10, 2007
  15. Unclaimed Mysteries

    Guest Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:18:24 GMT, Unclaimed Mysteries
    <> wrote:

    >1) How does your camera behave in hot weather?
    >
    >2) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while in use?
    >
    >3) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while traveling?
    >
    >4) How would you design a camera - compact or dSLR or other - to stay as
    >cool as possible in use in the heat?

    I use a ( childrens ) soft-sided insulated lunchbox.
    Fits all my camera stuff.
    Stays cool in the back seat of the car in the Arizona summer.
    Doesn't look like a bag o' expensive goodies to the casual passer-by.

    <rj>
    Guest, Jul 11, 2007