    part but at some point it must jump over to land telephone lines at the
    callee end. Who mintains these telephone patches?

    Thanks for your help.
    Bruce W...1, Oct 15, 2003

  2. > How does voice over IP work? I understand the computer and internet
    > part but at some point it must jump over to land telephone lines at
    > the callee end. Who mintains these telephone patches?

    Your VoIP provider, such as Vonage or Voicestream. When you pay money
    for VoIP service, the connection to the real phone network is what
    you're paying for. (If you only want to talk to other VoIP users, you
    can do that for free via FWD.)

    The VoIP providers in turn buy service from CLECs (competitive local
    phone companies) who already have switches in place. For example, I
    have Vonage service with an upstate NY phone number. Vonage contracts
    with Paetec, a CLEC with facilities in upstate NY, to provide my phone
    number, and I gather they have colocated equipment at the CLECs to do
    the IP-POTS conversion.

    One thing I don't know is how they route outgoing phone calls. If I
    call, say, Los Angeles, I don't know whether Vonage hands the call to
    the phone system at the Vonage central site in New Jersey, or whether
    they point my call at their co-lo equipment in L.A. and hand it off
    there as a local call, or whether they try to route it to their site
    that's closest to me to minimize IP network delays. With the screwy
    state of phone charges these days, it's not at all obvious which would
    be cheaper.

    Regards,
    John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
    John R. Levine, Oct 15, 2003