    when the computer is turned off and can you add normal sip settings into the
    adaptor ?

    Stephen

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 20, 2006

  2. ¬Stephen Hammond

    RH Guest

    "¬Stephen Hammond" <> wrote in message
    news:ejs8oj$l5s$1$...
    > Can you have a skype phone lan adaptor for a normal phone (pstn I believe)
    > when the computer is turned off and can you add normal sip settings into
    > the
    > adaptor ?

    Your looking for a stand alone Adapter for skype. Sorry there are none
    about at present, and nor is there likely to be. SIP is based on protocol
    so lots of companies have made adapters, Skype uses its own closed system
    and as such Skype controls who has the technology, If you don't wnat to have
    a PC running 100% of the time the nearest thing are new wifi skype phones
    that are around

    RH, Nov 20, 2006

  3. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Guest

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:57:52 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    <>, wrote:

    >Can you have a skype phone lan adaptor for a normal phone (pstn I believe)
    >when the computer is turned off and can you add normal sip settings into the
    >adaptor ?
    >
    >Stephen

    Yes, just go to Google
    http://groups-beta.google.com/advanced_search?q=&
    Put in skype and pstn and sip
    then you can read the extensive debates about the same question.
    You could even email all the other people who asked the same question
    and swap spam and troll tips.

    HTH

    , Nov 20, 2006
  4. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ken Guest

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:19:40 +0000, wrote:

    >On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:57:52 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    ><>, wrote:
    >
    >>Can you have a skype phone lan adaptor for a normal phone (pstn I believe)
    >>when the computer is turned off and can you add normal sip settings into the
    >>adaptor ?
    >>
    >>Stephen
    >>

    >Yes, just go to Google
    >http://groups-beta.google.com/advanced_search?q=&
    >Put in skype and pstn and sip
    >then you can read the extensive debates about the same question.
    >You could even email all the other people who asked the same question
    >and swap spam and troll tips.
    >
    >HTH

    But of course no one says anything about VOIP needing the Modem router
    on all the time.

    Ken, Nov 20, 2006
  5. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Ken" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > But of course no one says anything about VOIP needing the
    > Modem router on all the time.

    Why should they..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 20, 2006
  6. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Nick Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > "Ken" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > But of course no one says anything about VOIP needing the
    > > Modem router on all the time.

    > Why should they..?
    >
    > Ivor

    I thought you'd hibernated for winter.
    You going to Dudley on Saturday?

    Nick, Nov 20, 2006

  7. >
    >> But of course no one says anything about VOIP needing the
    >> Modem router on all the time.

    > Why should they..?
    >
    > Ivor

    Why is skype so popular when is so shit then ?

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 20, 2006
  8. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Jono Guest

    ¬Stephen Hammond expressed precisely :

    >>> But of course no one says anything about VOIP needing the
    >>> Modem router on all the time.

    >> Why should they..?
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > Why is skype so popular when is so shit then ?

    For similar reasons as why Windows is so popular, I guess.

    Jono, Nov 20, 2006
  9. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:00:26 GMT, Jono <>
    wrote:

    >¬Stephen Hammond expressed precisely :

    >>> Why should they..?
    >>>
    >>> Ivor

    >> Why is skype so popular when is so shit then ?

    >For similar reasons as why Windows is so popular, I guess.

    Skype is popular because it works out of the box and most people who
    use it aren't very technical and are ignorant of alternatives.
    Skype is a dead end. If you use SIP and don't like your provider there
    are literally hundreds more to choose from - on the Skype system you
    have Skype and that is it.
    Further, when SIP is ever mentioned in the media it seems that they
    think that Vonage is the only SIP provider. Hence the mainstream see
    the Skype system, where you sit at your computer, or Vonage at a set
    fee per month.
    There are a number of different types of adapter for Skype, some are
    reasonably priced but require the computer to be switched on - others
    at stupidly high prices.
    If the idea of using voip is to save money on calls you MUST factor in
    all the ongoing costs. A computer, running 24/7, and without the
    monitor being switched on, will cost approximately £5/month in
    electricity.
    A modem, and possibly a router, will need to be on as well. However
    the cost of running these latter items is small in comparison.
    I have measured the consumption running:-
    1. Cable Modem
    2. 4 port router
    3. SIP ATA
    4. DECT base station.
    Total cost per month for running all of these items is approx. £1.
    The cost of running Skype for general, everyday, use cannot match the
    lower cost of running SIP. Further SIP, using an ATA is far more user
    friendly and the outlay for an ATA is not great.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 20, 2006
  10. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
    >>>But of course no one says anything about VOIP needing the
    >>>Modem router on all the time.

    >>Why should they..?
    >>
    >>Ivor

    > Why is skype so popular when is so shit then ?

    For the same reason that Norton AV and McAfee are so popular and yet so
    shite. They shout the loudest.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 20, 2006
  11. ¬Stephen Hammond

    martian Guest

    and empty vessels make the most noise!!

    martian, Nov 20, 2006
  12. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Martin² Guest

    >Why is skype so popular when is so shit then ?

    It's free to start with, just load a bit of software and (if you have mike
    and headset) off you go..., until you want to make and receive calls to non
    Skype users, when you have to start paying.
    Than of course it only works when your computer is ON, unless you buy one of
    the new fancy and expensive gadgets.
    What they don't tell you that it's a P2P software, so it uses your bandwidth
    to track other calls.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Nov 21, 2006
  13. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > > "Ken" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > [snip]
    > >
    > > > But of course no one says anything about VOIP needing
    > > > the Modem router on all the time.

    > > Why should they..?
    > >
    > > Ivor
    > >

    > I thought you'd hibernated for winter.
    > You going to Dudley on Saturday?

    Hopefully :)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 21, 2006
  14. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "¬Stephen Hammond" <> wrote in
    message news:ejsp86$1fc$1$
    > > > But of course no one says anything about VOIP needing
    > > > the Modem router on all the time.

    > > Why should they..?
    > >
    > > Ivor

    > Why is skype so popular when is so shit then ?

    Ah now that is the $64000 question..!

    Over-active marketing..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 21, 2006
  15. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Puffnstuff Guest

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:39:15 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    <> wrote:

    >>> But of course no one says anything about VOIP needing the
    >>> Modem router on all the time.

    >> Why should they..?
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > Why is skype so popular when is so shit then ?

    Because it isn't shit and that's the problem
    The techie nerds need something difficult so they can chat in their
    know it all techie lingo and when something works faultlessly they
    have nothing they can bullshit about to lesser mortals.

    Puffnstuff, Nov 21, 2006
  16. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:49:37 +0000, Puffnstuff <> wrote:

    >>> Why should they..?
    >>>
    >>> Ivor

    >> Why is skype so popular when is so shit then ?
    >>

    >Because it isn't shit and that's the problem
    >The techie nerds need something difficult so they can chat in their
    >know it all techie lingo and when something works faultlessly they
    >have nothing they can bullshit about to lesser mortals.

    This may well be the way it looks to you but I don't agree. . I think
    that the people who do know what they are talking about get frustrated
    that the ' lesser mortals' (your term not mine) just can't see the
    light. If anything the 'techie nerds' (again, your term not mine)
    are being altruistic. I used to work as a voluteer on a telephone
    helpline. The model we used was not to be directive but to offer
    alternatives as a solution, if there were any, - unless you could see
    a boulder was about to drop on someone's head then you might give
    advice. When people, in the know, give advice it is a little like
    that. They can see the mistakes being made and they are trying to help
    out.
    However, I do think that tech people will try do do things in a more
    professional way and, not being understood, will strike fear in those
    who are not very technically inclined. What we don't understand we
    fear!
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 21, 2006

  17. >>>>

    >>> Why is skype so popular when is so shit then ?
    >>>

    >>Because it isn't shit and that's the problem

    Well Skype isn't that good if you have to have the computer on :(

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 21, 2006
  18. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

    >>>Because it isn't shit and that's the problem

    > Well Skype isn't that good if you have to have the computer on :(

    And routing the calls through completely untrusted systems give me the
    heebe-geebees.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 21, 2006
  19. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Puffnstuff Guest

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:28:29 +0000, Desk Rabbit <>
    wrote:

    >> Well Skype isn't that good if you have to have the computer on :(
    >>

    >And routing the calls through completely untrusted systems give me the
    >heebe-geebees.

    And you use Plusnet and Windoze?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    Puffnstuff, Nov 21, 2006
  20. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Martin² Guest

    Desk rabbit:
    >And routing the calls through completely untrusted systems give me the
    >heebe-geebees.

    It's encrypted, and hasn't been cracked yet, worst case you lose the call.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Nov 22, 2006