    D.L. Man Guest

    I want to start a new group but I'm having trouble finding out how to start
    one.

    D.L. Man, Dec 31, 2004

  2. D.L. Man

    Dan DiNicolo Guest

    Dan DiNicolo, Dec 31, 2004

  3. D.L. Man

    D.L. Man Guest

    D.L. Man, Dec 31, 2004
  4. D.L. Man

    Rob K Guest

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:49:05 -0700, D.L. Man wrote:

    > I want to start a new group but I'm having trouble finding out how to start
    > one.

    This was a *very* frequently asked question in this group.
    Search Google for "how do I start my own NG" and all the answers. It
    boils down to : forget it if you want a proper NG, otherwise go Yahoo
    groups.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Dec 31, 2004
  5. D.L. Man

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rob K wrote:
    > This was a *very* frequently asked question in this group.
    > Search Google for "how do I start my own NG" and all the answers. It
    > boils down to : forget it if you want a proper NG, otherwise go Yahoo
    > groups.

    And now there are google [yahoo-like] groups. Which I know nothing
    about.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 31, 2004
  6. D.L. Man wrote:

    > I want to start a new group but I'm having trouble finding out how to start
    > one.

    Start it at Yahoo. Yahoo Groups.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 31, 2004
  7. D.L. Man

    trout Guest

    D.L. Man wrote:

    > I want to start a new group but I'm having trouble finding out how to
    > start one.

    If it won't start after a few attempts, you may need to replace the
    ignition. Or simply have a few buddies push your newsgroup to the top of
    a hill, and then try to crank it as you're rolling.
    --
    "It's all downhill, from there."

    trout, Dec 31, 2004
  8. On 31 Dec 2004, trout scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > D.L. Man wrote:
    >
    >> I want to start a new group but I'm having trouble finding out
    >> how to start one.

    > If it won't start after a few attempts, you may need to
    > replace the
    > ignition. Or simply have a few buddies push your newsgroup to the
    > top of a hill, and then try to crank it as you're rolling.

    Or he could do the bit with the two chickens and the naked dancing
    on the front lawn...

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    I typed the word Google into Google.

    The Old Sourdough, Dec 31, 2004
  9. D.L. Man

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 06:15:46 -0600, The Old Sourdough <sameas@above> wrote:

    >On 31 Dec 2004, trout scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> D.L. Man wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to start a new group but I'm having trouble finding out
    >>> how to start one.

    >> If it won't start after a few attempts, you may need to
    >> replace the
    >> ignition. Or simply have a few buddies push your newsgroup to the
    >> top of a hill, and then try to crank it as you're rolling.

    >Or he could do the bit with the two chickens and the naked dancing
    >on the front lawn...

    Nah, it's probably just out of gas. I've got a 2 1/2 gallon can here, if it'll
    help.

    "I hate to see Usenet motorists stranded like that."

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Dec 31, 2004
  10. D.L. Man

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Mara composed the following ...
    > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 06:15:46 -0600, The Old Sourdough <sameas@above>
    > wrote:

    >>> If it won't start after a few attempts, you may need to
    >>> replace the
    >>> ignition. Or simply have a few buddies push your newsgroup to the
    >>> top of a hill, and then try to crank it as you're rolling.

    >> Or he could do the bit with the two chickens and the naked dancing
    >> on the front lawn...

    > Nah, it's probably just out of gas. I've got a 2 1/2 gallon can here, if
    > it'll help.
    >
    > "I hate to see Usenet motorists stranded like that."

    And even if it doesn't start the newsgroup, it could be used for any general
    conflagration .. or funeral pyre ...

    I'll book a ringside seat now ... ;)

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

    Paul - xxx, Dec 31, 2004
  11. On 31 Dec 2004, Mara scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 06:15:46 -0600, The Old Sourdough
    > <sameas@above> wrote:

    >>> If it won't start after a few attempts, you may need to
    >>> replace the
    >>> ignition. Or simply have a few buddies push your newsgroup to
    >>> the top of a hill, and then try to crank it as you're rolling.

    >>Or he could do the bit with the two chickens and the naked dancing
    >>on the front lawn...

    > Nah, it's probably just out of gas. I've got a 2 1/2 gallon can
    > here, if it'll help.
    >
    > "I hate to see Usenet motorists stranded like that."

    Probably best to just pour the gasoline over his head, flick the ol'
    BIC and indulge in a little self-innolation.

    The Old Sourdough, Dec 31, 2004
  12. D.L. Man

    Gordon Guest

    The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > Probably best to just pour the gasoline over his head, flick the ol'
    > BIC and indulge in a little self-innolation.

    "Innolation" is when you finaly see the pub after a long walk....when you
    set fire to yourself is "IMMolation" ;-)

    Gordon, Dec 31, 2004
  13. On 31 Dec 2004, The Old Sourdough scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On 31 Dec 2004, Mara scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 06:15:46 -0600, The Old Sourdough
    >> <sameas@above> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 31 Dec 2004, trout scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>>Or he could do the bit with the two chickens and the naked dancing
    >>>on the front lawn...

    >> Nah, it's probably just out of gas. I've got a 2 1/2 gallon can
    >> here, if it'll help.
    >>
    >> "I hate to see Usenet motorists stranded like that."
    >>

    > Probably best to just pour the gasoline over his head, flick the ol'
    > BIC and indulge in a little self-innolation.

    Oops! Here are a couple of "m"'s, Gimme back my "n"'s.

    The Old Sourdough, Dec 31, 2004
  14. D.L. Man

    Joel Rubin Guest

    wrote:

    >I want to start a new group but I'm having trouble finding out how to start
    >one.

    In theory, you do the following:

    telnet your_news_server 119
    (authinfo login if necessary)
    post
    From: your_address
    Newsgroups: your_new_newsgroup
    Control: newgroup your_new_newsgroup
    Subject cmsg newgroup your_new_newsgroup

    For your newsgroups file:
    your_new_newsgroup Description
    <dot on a line by itself>
    quit

    In practice, unless you follow the standard routines for starting a
    new newsgroup in the intended hierarchy (e.g. start a discussion in
    dc.config if you want to start a newsgroup dc.nationals about what's
    going to happen to the Montreal Expos baseball team if and when they
    move to Washington, DC) no news servers are likely to pick up your
    newsgroup and someone with more credibility than you may even rmgroup
    it.

    In the original newsgroup hierarchies (e.g. rec or news) they even
    have a vote. (one address one vote - it's easy to stuff the ballot box
    if anyone really wants)

    Joel Rubin, Dec 31, 2004