    No it not mine, just trying to sort out a few things for a friend, being that
    TweakUI lets you have a Auto Logon and remove the Large Shortcut arrows..

    Thanks.

    Karen Parker, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Karen  Parker

    EMB Guest

    Karen Parker wrote:

    > OS Files are on the Hard Drive, but I could not see any thing to use to
    > create a Repair on the XP OS..
    >
    > PC was plagued with Viruses, and was fixed up by a local polytech, but then I
    > still found 12 more, but I can't run TweakUI, it comes up with a error to
    > do with Kernel32.dll but I have replaced it from the 386 folder with no
    > luck.
    >
    > No it not mine, just trying to sort out a few things for a friend, being that
    > TweakUI lets you have a Auto Logon and remove the Large Shortcut arrows..

    Given that you haven't said what model it is, I'll assume it's like the
    last Compaq I fixed - you use the CD that came with the laptop.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Sep 2, 2004

  3. Karen  Parker

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 06:50:23 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >Karen Parker wrote:
    >
    >> OS Files are on the Hard Drive, but I could not see any thing to use to
    >> create a Repair on the XP OS..
    >>
    >> PC was plagued with Viruses, and was fixed up by a local polytech, but then I
    >> still found 12 more, but I can't run TweakUI, it comes up with a error to
    >> do with Kernel32.dll but I have replaced it from the 386 folder with no
    >> luck.
    >>
    >> No it not mine, just trying to sort out a few things for a friend, being that
    >> TweakUI lets you have a Auto Logon and remove the Large Shortcut arrows..

    >Given that you haven't said what model it is, I'll assume it's like the
    >last Compaq I fixed - you use the CD that came with the laptop.

    I never saw one and on the budget models you pay extra for the recovery CD..

    Karen Parker, Sep 3, 2004
  4. Karen  Parker

    Edmond Lo Guest

    I don't know if that is the same but I worked on a few IBM desktops that
    have the receovery software on the first partition of the hard drive, and
    they are simply not possible to do XP repair. I either had to order the
    repair CDs that cost about $80, or just have to do a recovery. You probably
    have the same issue as well.
    The kernel32.dll file is a protected file so you can't replace it by
    overwriting it. But I once managed to replace a system protected file by
    renaming it and then copying the new one over. Check the dllcache folder as
    well as you might need to do that one first.

    Edmond Lo, Sep 3, 2004