    'google' my name and they fid these embarrassing postings?

    HELP HELP!
    Derek
    MegaC, Dec 30, 2006

  2. MegaC

    Mike Easter Guest

    MegaC wrote:

    > I have a question. How does a person REMOVE their postings from a
    > newsgroup? I have some (ahem) embarrassing postings from up to 10
    > years ago that I want to remove.

    Conditionally, you can remove posts from google's archive
    http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=8380 How do I
    remove my own posts?

    That doesn't solve any other non-google archiving which might have
    occurred which is less accessible and it doesn't easily solve any posts
    made with an email address you no longer access or is/was invalid, but
    google is the archive that is most likely to be used.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 30, 2006

  3. MegaC

    Vanguard Guest

    "MegaC" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I have a question. How does a person REMOVE their postings from a
    > newsgroup? I have some (ahem) embarrassing postings from up to 10
    > years ago that I want to remove. It is killing my dating life as
    > girls
    > 'google' my name and they fid these embarrassing postings?

    If you could remove your postings then you could remove postings from
    other users and other users could remove yours. Some NNTP servers may
    still support cancel posts but then spoofed cancel messages can also be
    used to cancel your posts or anyone elses. This method of eliminating
    someone else's posts has been used and abused and why few NNTP server
    bother with the cancels anymore. At one point, Google was still
    accepting cancels until Hipcrime decided to wipe out their contents and
    forced Google to reload from backups, so Google learned why cancels can
    be abused and shouldn't be honored.

    The NNTP server may still carry the control.cancel group. That doesn't
    mean they bother to actually process those cancels. Since you've chosen
    to use Google Groups, and since Google Groups discontinued honoring
    cancel posts, your old posts will remain to embarass you.

    It is better to remain silent and let others ponder your ignorance
    rather than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Everything on the
    Net lives forever somewhere.
    Vanguard, Dec 30, 2006
  4. MegaC

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-12-30, Vanguard <> wrote:
    > "MegaC" <> wrote in message
    >> Greetings all,
    >>
    >> I have a question. How does a person REMOVE their postings from a
    >> newsgroup? I have some (ahem) embarrassing postings from up to 10
    >> years ago that I want to remove. It is killing my dating life as
    >> girls
    >> 'google' my name and they fid these embarrassing postings?

    > If you could remove your postings then you could remove postings from
    > other users and other users could remove yours. Some NNTP servers may
    > still support cancel posts but then spoofed cancel messages can also be
    > used to cancel your posts or anyone elses.

    snip

    Apart from which, a 'Cancel' message only works at all for articles that
    still exist on the NNTP servers - which they don't after a few months at
    most. The OP is really looking for help to remove their own posts from
    the Google Groups archive, and Mike Easter has pointed them in the right
    direction for that.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Dec 31, 2006
  5. MegaC

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I have a question. How does a person REMOVE their postings from a
    > newsgroup? I have some (ahem) embarrassing postings from up to 10
    > years ago that I want to remove. It is killing my dating life as girls
    > 'google' my name and they fid these embarrassing postings?

    Tell them it isn't you.

    There are thousands of sites that archive Usenet posts, there is no way
    you are going to remove all traces of your posts...

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Jan 1, 2007
  6. MegaC

    Frosty Guest

    On 30 Dec 2006 15:11:45 -0800 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk a thought sat
    on "MegaC" <>'s chest like a vulture, I said "Pluck
    It! And with the feather I'll tickle your throat and you can throw it
    up to me" Said he "I shall" & thus puked:
    >Greetings all,
    >
    >I have a question. How does a person REMOVE their postings from a
    >newsgroup? I have some (ahem) embarrassing postings from up to 10
    >years ago that I want to remove. It is killing my dating life as girls
    >'google' my name and they fid these embarrassing postings?
    >
    >HELP HELP!
    >Derek

    Try googling your name.
    Are you the only person on earth with that name??
    Frosty, Jan 1, 2007
  7. MegaC

    Lookout Guest

    On 30 Dec 2006 15:11:45 -0800, "MegaC" <> wrote:

    >Greetings all,
    >
    >I have a question. How does a person REMOVE their postings from a
    >newsgroup? I have some (ahem) embarrassing postings from up to 10
    >years ago that I want to remove. It is killing my dating life as girls
    >'google' my name and they fid these embarrassing postings?
    >
    >HELP HELP!
    >Derek

    Get a new email addy! That way when the Google the new one you are
    clean. No reason to tell them about the old one.
    Lookout, Jan 2, 2007