    At the prestsent time i have cable phoneline.
    Thanks.
    Paul

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=, Feb 13, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    DJ Borell Guest

    The best way to do this is to get a wireless router/gateway. Your cable
    modem would connect to the WAN port on the router and your desktop would
    connect to one of the ports. Your laptop would, obviously, connect
    wirelessly to the router. The router/gateway provides the necessary DHCP
    options to connect the systems together and also connect to the internet.

    The other way would be to acquire a PCI wireless card for your desktop. In
    this fashion, you would enable ICS on the desktop (with the cable modem
    connecting to the wired-NIC on the desktop) and connect the laptop to the
    desktop wirelessly.

    DJ Borell, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Or a third option would to buy a Wireless router to connect to your Cable
    Modem. Buy a wireless PCMCIA card for your laptop and Buy a wireless USB or
    PCI adapter for your desktop. This can allow you more freedom if you want to
    place the desktop somewhere there is not a cable connection close by to the
    desktop.

    Robert....

    Robert Jacobs, Feb 13, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    The content of the following links will provide you with a basic tutorial
    about Sharing Interent and using Wireless; it is short and to the point:

    Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -

    Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -

    Wireless Principles - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122
    The page above was written by me ages ago. You might ignore the prices, and
    the specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles are still the
    same.
    Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 13, 2005