    What's the most efficient (cost and space) storage strategy for a growing
    dvd collection >400.

    Thanks.

    Brad Demrow, Oct 28, 2004

  2. Brad Demrow

    Stuffin Guest

    2 popular techniques are 1) bookshelf, 2) Sony DVP-CX985V 400 DVD player
    allow you to keep 400 DVDs "online" for use. $399 but seen as low as $340 at
    Amazon.

    Stuffin, Oct 28, 2004

  3. On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:45:22 -0500, "Brad Demrow" <>
    wrote:

    >What's the most efficient (cost and space) storage strategy for a growing
    >dvd collection >400.
    >
    >Thanks.

    I've got an IKEA bookcase model "billy" with 2 extra shelves. The
    shelves were purchased at Karwei.

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Oct 28, 2004
  4. Brad Demrow wrote:

    > What's the most efficient (cost and space) storage strategy for a growing
    > dvd collection >400.

    For movies, bought or home made, animation, anime, and
    bought tv shows I use the nice white 6' book cases from
    Home Depot and after I do a wee bit of drilling I add
    two shelves so it holds a total of 400 standard size dvd
    cases.

    For my endless tv shows I'm archiving from tape or have
    traded for I get the lined discs sleeves that hold 4
    discs on each side and place those in a standard 3-ring
    notebook.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Oct 28, 2004
  5. Brad Demrow

    TSKO Guest

    Bookshelves all the way baby! Cheap..and they hold a hold a hot

    TSKO, Oct 29, 2004
  6. Brad Demrow

    TSKO Guest

    or....they hold a LOT

    I cant type tonight

    TSKO, Oct 29, 2004
  7. Brad Demrow

    awknod Guest

    Cheapest way, takes hardly any space. 400 DVD`s in a 1 foot box, put each
    DVD in a paper sleeve or binder.

    awknod, Oct 29, 2004
  8. Brad Demrow

    Keith Guest

    >Subject: How do you store your large dvd collection?
    >From: "Brad Demrow"
    >Date: 10/28/2004 1:45 pm Eastern Daylight Time
    >
    >What's the most efficient (cost and space) storage strategy for a growing
    >dvd collection >400.
    >
    >Thanks.

    I used to use bookcases, but found they never had the right amount of shelving
    and too deep.

    Now I buy unfinished shelves from a craft store for about $10 each. They are
    4', which hold about 70 DVDs, and an inch deeper than the cases themselves. I
    started with three, and as my collection grew I'd buy another shelf. I'm about
    out of space on my wall now with 6, but I've got another empty space to start a
    new section.

    An added bonus is I hang them starting 4 feet off the floor... unlike a
    bookcase which you have them at floor level and I've never liked the look of
    that.

    Keith

    Keith, Oct 29, 2004
  9. "Brad Demrow" <> wrote in

    > What's the most efficient (cost and space) storage strategy for a
    > growing dvd collection >400.

    You know what they say: big collection, big... bookcase. I like
    bookcases, and you can get darn cheap ones at Wal-Mart and other such
    stores, or less if you're handy with lumber and nails.

    The only thing cheaper (but certainly not as eye-pleasing) is a
    CD wallet.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Oct 29, 2004
  10. Brad Demrow

    TB Guest

    "awknod" wrote:

    > Cheapest way, takes hardly any space. 400 DVD`s in a 1 foot box, put each
    > DVD in a paper sleeve or binder.

    I stick single discs in slim plastic cases like what are used for CD
    singles. Double disc sets use a traditional double cd plastic case that's
    the same thickness as a traditional single cd case and I have even found up
    to 4,5 and 6 cd cases for most of my box sets. I made a label template for
    the spines and when I get up to about 20 - 30 new titles, I just type in the
    titles on the lable template and print it out on 8 1/2 x 11 avery label
    paper and cut them out and stick 'em on the spines of the cd cases.

    I've been able to store a tremendous amount of dvds with this method. The
    only drawback is that I don't have access to the booklets which is no big
    deal for me anyway and the type on the slim single disc cases can be tough
    to read when ZI'm fishing for something to watch late at night.

    All the original slip cases and boxes are in a couple large boxes in the
    garage in case I decide I need to sell a few dvds on eBay or wherever.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 29, 2004
  11. Brad Demrow

    Wild Coyote Guest

    wrote:

    >What's the most efficient (cost and space) storage strategy for a growing
    >dvd collection >400.
    >
    >Thanks.

    Bookshelves. I have 2,260 on 2 walls and plenty of room for
    expansion. 10 rows to a wall and they are 8 feet long.

    You put the metal strips up the wall and then get the hangers. I have
    about $700 invested in this method. It works.

    --
    Still Howlin' at the Moon!

    Wild Coyote
    wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

    Wild Coyote, Oct 29, 2004
  12. Brad Demrow

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <41813041$0$3644$>,
    says...
    > What's the most efficient (cost and space) storage strategy for a growing
    > dvd collection >400.

    Thinline jewel cases stored in a half-height CD "bookshelf", with the
    original flyers held in a few binders.

    Looks like it'll hold around 1000 discs stored in this way.

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

    Dale Hicks, Oct 29, 2004
  13. Brad Demrow

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <YJhgd.27840$>,
    says...
    > "awknod" wrote:
    >
    > > Cheapest way, takes hardly any space. 400 DVD`s in a 1 foot box, put each
    > > DVD in a paper sleeve or binder.

    > I stick single discs in slim plastic cases like what are used for CD
    > singles. Double disc sets use a traditional double cd plastic case that's
    > the same thickness as a traditional single cd case and I have even found up
    > to 4,5 and 6 cd cases for most of my box sets. I made a label template for
    > the spines and when I get up to about 20 - 30 new titles, I just type in the
    > titles on the lable template and print it out on 8 1/2 x 11 avery label
    > paper and cut them out and stick 'em on the spines of the cd cases.
    >
    > I've been able to store a tremendous amount of dvds with this method. The
    > only drawback is that I don't have access to the booklets which is no big
    > deal for me anyway and the type on the slim single disc cases can be tough
    > to read when ZI'm fishing for something to watch late at night.

    My answer to that (although I haven't implemented it) is to color code
    the letters and put these colored bars on the spine, allowing you to get
    in the right neighborhood really quickly.

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

    Dale Hicks, Oct 29, 2004
  14. Brad Demrow

    idlethinker Guest

    idlethinker, Oct 31, 2004
  15. "Brad Demrow" <> wrote in message
    > What's the most efficient (cost and space) storage strategy for a growing
    > dvd collection >400.

    I use the binder-style zipper cases. I have 3 that hold 120 each, though
    I'll double-up the slots sometimes. Only $25 each a couple of years ago.

    I bought a new one recently ... hold 200 disks, only $20.

    Given this amount of storage in so little space, you could put about 8 of
    these on each shelf of a more-or-less "standard" bookcase. With 4 shelves,
    you could store 6400 disks! (I doubt I'll ever get close to that, though.)

    Lester Horwinkle, Oct 31, 2004
  16. "Stuffin" <> wrote in message
    > 2 popular techniques are 1) bookshelf, 2) Sony DVP-CX985V 400 DVD player
    > allow you to keep 400 DVDs "online" for use. $399 but seen as low as $340

    at
    > Amazon.
    >
    > "Brad Demrow" <> wrote in message
    > > What's the most efficient (cost and space) storage strategy for a

    growing
    > > dvd collection >400.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    The sony might be convenient, however, the Pioneer 275S will woop it's ass
    for pic and sound quality. This machine sells for $90.00 US for shits sake
    It's a bargain quality machine. I store my dvd collection, over 470 titles
    in a ravine behind my house-kidding. No, I useda converter curio cabinet
    with curved glass front sliding doors that protect the disc sitting on
    shelves. You want to store them vertically in a dust free, temperature
    consistant (room) environment. You don't want to store them on a free
    standing holder that faces the window so that intense sunlight can heat up
    the discs causeing damage.

    Those slip case holders used for mobile purposes almost always scratch the
    disc as you remove and reinsert the disc. I like to sleep with my collection
    fu&#ing the spindle hole.

    Tad Bitt§ï£, Oct 31, 2004
  17. "TSKO" <> wrote in message
    > Bookshelves all the way baby! Cheap..and they hold a hold a hot
    >

    > "Brad Demrow" <> wrote in message
    > > What's the most efficient (cost and space) storage strategy for a

    growing
    > > dvd collection >400.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    A walk in closet with shelves at eye level around the inner perimetter of
    the closet area is the best way to store dvd's. Damn, I would like to have
    one of the those.

    Tad Bitt§ï£, Oct 31, 2004
  18. Brad Demrow

    Brad D Guest

    Where did you find a binder-style zipper case that holds 200 for $20? Also,
    does it hold the paper dvd insert too?

    Brad

    Brad D, Oct 31, 2004
  19. Brad Demrow

    Tabernacle Guest

    (Keith) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >Subject: How do you store your large dvd collection?
    > >From: "Brad Demrow"
    > >Date: 10/28/2004 1:45 pm Eastern Daylight Time
    > >
    > >What's the most efficient (cost and space) storage strategy for a growing
    > >dvd collection >400.
    > >
    > >Thanks.

    > I used to use bookcases, but found they never had the right amount of shelving
    > and too deep.
    >
    > Now I buy unfinished shelves from a craft store for about $10 each. They are
    > 4', which hold about 70 DVDs, and an inch deeper than the cases themselves. I
    > started with three, and as my collection grew I'd buy another shelf. I'm about
    > out of space on my wall now with 6, but I've got another empty space to start a
    > new section.
    >
    > An added bonus is I hang them starting 4 feet off the floor... unlike a
    > bookcase which you have them at floor level and I've never liked the look of
    > that.
    >
    > Keith

    I like bookcases! admittedly because I already had three of them left
    over when my kid got married and went to live with her husband!

    Waste not want not (and all that).

    Anyway I found that per 5 shelf bookcase I can get in 188 dvd cases
    per bookcase!Figure times three and that makes room for around 550
    titles give or take before I have to start being concerned about
    space.

    Tabernacle, Nov 1, 2004
  20. Brad Demrow

    Kevin Guest

    Mischa van Dinter <> wrote:
    > I've got an IKEA bookcase model "billy" with 2 extra shelves. The
    > shelves were purchased at Karwei.

    Me too. I use Billy bookshelves... though they're a bit deep for DVDs,
    it feels kind of odd. I also have "Benno", the companion shelving for CD's,
    beside... and a Billy corner unit actually serves as my A/V rack. The
    whole thing is in the back corner of my room, finished in brown/black.. I
    think it looks pretty good.

    Kevin, Nov 1, 2004