How do you stop AVG?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jun 30, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mother of God, Grisoft seem to think that, if you install AVG, you give them
    the right to do what they like with your PC.

    I'm trying to re-apply a patch that raises the limit on half-open
    connections (from 10 to 50) in XP after installing SP3. It's something I've
    been using for years that speeds up torrenting.

    http://www.lvllord.de/

    However, after having it sitting ignored in my downloads folder for a long
    time, one day AVG decided that it's a virus, or malware*. Now I can't run
    the programme. Why you ask? I can't kill AVG!!! I can click the icon in
    systray and hit exit. However, when I open taskmanager there are still
    several processes running that start with avg. When I highlight those and
    try to stop them they instantly start again. I just spent 10 minutes trying
    to exit all AVG processes and then, when going to AVG in the start menu it
    seems I was only able to stop the "Resident Shield". "Anti Virus" is still
    active!

    I don't want to have to uninstall the whole programme, then re-install and
    update just to do this one thing, I just want to turn it off for a couple
    minutes.

    <tearing what's left of my hair out here>

    Any ideas how I can stop AVG? I've killed off (or attempted to) everything
    that starts with 'avg' in Task manager and yet there are still 5 processes
    that re-started the second I stopped them (and one that wouldn't stop). I
    have two 'avgrsx.exe's running at the moment, (both belonging to "SYSTEM",)
    one using 6 MB RAM, the other 7. I also have avgwdsvc.exe, avgemc.exe and
    avgui.exe running. Even as administrator I can't stop these processes.

    *Malware? I'm getting increasingly annoyed at software companies using "AV"
    software as a policing tool for their products. I've had 'cracks' or tools
    for tweaking the innards of XP or other programmes on my HDD, for a long
    time in some cases, suddenly be classed as a virus or a trojan and deleted
    or not allowed to run by 'AV' software. It's like (and probably is) the
    software companies involved are getting these applets included in global
    definitions files that AV companies use, often to protect their own products
    rather than protect the user from malware.

    When does an AV programme stop being a tool to protect YOU and start being
    am extension of DRM or a policing programme, to protect software companies?
    Do software companies pay AV companies to have patches or cracks listed as
    'trojans' or malware? Why can't I use this little applet to change the
    half-open connections limit on my machine rather than have to learn how to
    edit the registry?

    <shakes head>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 30, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
    > In article <48682115$>,
    > says...
    >> Mother of God, Grisoft seem to think that, if you install AVG, you
    >> give them the right to do what they like with your PC.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to re-apply a patch that raises the limit on half-open
    >> connections (from 10 to 50) in XP after installing SP3. It's
    >> something I've been using for years that speeds up torrenting.
    >>
    >> http://www.lvllord.de/
    >>
    >> However, after having it sitting ignored in my downloads folder for
    >> a long time, one day AVG decided that it's a virus, or malware*. Now
    >> I can't run the programme. Why you ask? I can't kill AVG!!! I can
    >> click the icon in systray and hit exit. However, when I open
    >> taskmanager there are still several processes running that start
    >> with avg. When I highlight those and try to stop them they instantly
    >> start again. I just spent 10 minutes trying to exit all AVG
    >> processes and then, when going to AVG in the start menu it seems I
    >> was only able to stop the "Resident Shield". "Anti Virus" is still
    >> active!

    > It's probably the AVG service that you need to stop.

    It re-starts instantly.

    > But anyway, why not just wait a day - the new definitions out
    > 'tomorrow' will probably let your program run (again).
    >
    > (That's what I've found for most false positives. You can report it
    > to AVG if you want too - just in case you're the first to do so.)

    Ye Gods!!

    After nearly on hour registering, waiting for the confirmation email (they
    tell you to whitelist a different address than the one the confirmation ends
    up coming from) and searching the site I've been unable to find out how to
    report false positives.

    Anyway, I'll go back to the forums as I saw a thread about stopping AVG
    somewhere there... (If I can only find it again..)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 30, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:48:00 +1200
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
    > > In article <48682115$>,
    > > says...
    > >> Mother of God, Grisoft seem to think that, if you install AVG, you
    > >> give them the right to do what they like with your PC.
    > >>
    > >> I'm trying to re-apply a patch that raises the limit on half-open
    > >> connections (from 10 to 50) in XP after installing SP3. It's
    > >> something I've been using for years that speeds up torrenting.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.lvllord.de/
    > >>
    > >> However, after having it sitting ignored in my downloads folder for
    > >> a long time, one day AVG decided that it's a virus, or malware*.
    > >> Now I can't run the programme. Why you ask? I can't kill AVG!!! I
    > >> can click the icon in systray and hit exit. However, when I open
    > >> taskmanager there are still several processes running that start
    > >> with avg. When I highlight those and try to stop them they
    > >> instantly start again. I just spent 10 minutes trying to exit all
    > >> AVG processes and then, when going to AVG in the start menu it
    > >> seems I was only able to stop the "Resident Shield". "Anti Virus"
    > >> is still active!

    > > It's probably the AVG service that you need to stop.

    > It re-starts instantly.
    >
    > > But anyway, why not just wait a day - the new definitions out
    > > 'tomorrow' will probably let your program run (again).
    > >
    > > (That's what I've found for most false positives. You can report it
    > > to AVG if you want too - just in case you're the first to do so.)

    > Ye Gods!!
    >
    > After nearly on hour registering, waiting for the confirmation email
    > (they tell you to whitelist a different address than the one the
    > confirmation ends up coming from) and searching the site I've been
    > unable to find out how to report false positives.
    >
    > Anyway, I'll go back to the forums as I saw a thread about stopping
    > AVG somewhere there... (If I can only find it again..)
    >
    > Cheers,

    Hi Shaun
    Running msconfig should give you the ability to disable them all, you
    will need to restart though...

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 173.14.09

    Malcolm, Jun 30, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Malcolm" typed:
    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:48:00 +1200
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
    >>> In article <48682115$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> It's probably the AVG service that you need to stop.

    >> It re-starts instantly.
    >>
    >>> But anyway, why not just wait a day - the new definitions out
    >>> 'tomorrow' will probably let your program run (again).
    >>>
    >>> (That's what I've found for most false positives. You can report it
    >>> to AVG if you want too - just in case you're the first to do so.)

    >> Ye Gods!!
    >>
    >> After nearly on hour registering, waiting for the confirmation email
    >> (they tell you to whitelist a different address than the one the
    >> confirmation ends up coming from) and searching the site I've been
    >> unable to find out how to report false positives.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'll go back to the forums as I saw a thread about stopping
    >> AVG somewhere there... (If I can only find it again..)
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Hi Shaun
    > Running msconfig should give you the ability to disable them all, you
    > will need to restart though...

    Hi Malcolm,

    Thanks, I may give it a try. FFS it shouldn't be this hard though should it?

    Hope you're well,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 30, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:56:04 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mother of God, Grisoft seem to think that, if you install AVG, you
    >> give them the right to do what they like with your PC.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to re-apply a patch that raises the limit on half-open
    >> connections (from 10 to 50) in XP after installing SP3. It's
    >> something I've been using for years that speeds up torrenting.
    >>
    >> http://www.lvllord.de/
    >>
    >> However, after having it sitting ignored in my downloads folder for
    >> a long time, one day AVG decided that it's a virus, or malware*. Now
    >> I can't run the programme. Why you ask? I can't kill AVG!!! I can
    >> click the icon in systray and hit exit. However, when I open
    >> taskmanager there are still several processes running that start
    >> with avg. When I highlight those and try to stop them they instantly
    >> start again. I just spent 10 minutes trying to exit all AVG
    >> processes and then, when going to AVG in the start menu it seems I
    >> was only able to stop the "Resident Shield". "Anti Virus" is still
    >> active!
    >>
    >> I don't want to have to uninstall the whole programme, then
    >> re-install and update just to do this one thing, I just want to turn
    >> it off for a couple minutes.
    >>
    >> <tearing what's left of my hair out here>
    >>
    >> Any ideas how I can stop AVG? I've killed off (or attempted to)
    >> everything that starts with 'avg' in Task manager and yet there are
    >> still 5 processes that re-started the second I stopped them (and one
    >> that wouldn't stop). I have two 'avgrsx.exe's running at the moment,
    >> (both belonging to "SYSTEM",) one using 6 MB RAM, the other 7. I
    >> also have avgwdsvc.exe, avgemc.exe and avgui.exe running. Even as
    >> administrator I can't stop these processes.
    >>
    >> *Malware? I'm getting increasingly annoyed at software companies
    >> using "AV" software as a policing tool for their products. I've had
    >> 'cracks' or tools for tweaking the innards of XP or other programmes
    >> on my HDD, for a long time in some cases, suddenly be classed as a
    >> virus or a trojan and deleted or not allowed to run by 'AV'
    >> software. It's like (and probably is) the software companies
    >> involved are getting these applets included in global definitions
    >> files that AV companies use, often to protect their own products
    >> rather than protect the user from malware.
    >>
    >> When does an AV programme stop being a tool to protect YOU and start
    >> being am extension of DRM or a policing programme, to protect
    >> software companies? Do software companies pay AV companies to have
    >> patches or cracks listed as 'trojans' or malware? Why can't I use
    >> this little applet to change the half-open connections limit on my
    >> machine rather than have to learn how to edit the registry?
    >>
    >> <shakes head>
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > See if this sucker will kill it, if AVG will let you run it, that is!
    > http://www.diamondcs.com.au/advancedseries/apt.php

    Hehee! I'll give it a try later, thanks. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 30, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

> [...]

    >> virus or a trojan and deleted or not allowed to run by 'AV'
    >> software. It's like (and probably is) the software companies
    >> involved are getting these applets included in global definitions
    >> files that AV companies use, often to protect their own products
    >> rather than protect the user from malware.
    >>
    >> When does an AV programme stop being a tool to protect YOU and start
    >> being am extension of DRM or a policing programme, to protect
    >> software companies? Do software companies pay AV companies to have
    >> patches or cracks listed as 'trojans' or malware? Why can't I use
    >> this little applet to change the half-open connections limit on my
    >> machine rather than have to learn how to edit the registry?
    >>
    >> <shakes head>
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > See if this sucker will kill it, if AVG will let you run it, that is!

    LOL, that proggy has 12 different levels of killing a process, 2 more for
    'kernel kill' and another 2 for 'crash'. I tried them all, none of them are
    able to stop avgrsx.exe!

    Thanks for that, certainly an education. AVG really take control of the
    computer away from the user.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 30, 2008
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
    > In article <48682d40$>,
    > says...
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
    >>> In article <48682115$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> It's probably the AVG service that you need to stop.

    >> It re-starts instantly.

    > CAn you set it to disabled?

    Hi there. I don't seem to have that option. I guess there are ways of
    stopping it that involve re-starting the PC. I'm just amazed that I can't
    simply kill the process' for a time, then re-start them.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 30, 2008
  8. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:09:21 +1200
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    <snip>
    > > Running msconfig should give you the ability to disable them all,
    > > you will need to restart though...

    > Hi Malcolm,
    >
    > Thanks, I may give it a try. FFS it shouldn't be this hard though
    > should it?
    >
    > Hope you're well,

    Nope it shouldn't. I've never had that sort of an issue with AVG
    yet....

    Always hot here... averages around 32C every day at the moment and all
    the wet weather seems to avoid this area. They always promise rain, but
    it never happens...lol

    Malcolm, Jun 30, 2008
  9. In article <>,
    says...

    > LOL, that proggy has 12 different levels of killing a process, 2 more for
    > 'kernel kill' and another 2 for 'crash'. I tried them all, none of them are
    > able to stop avgrsx.exe!
    >
    > Thanks for that, certainly an education. AVG really take control of the
    > computer away from the user.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Certainly a bloody nuissance that you can't turn it off
    manually. At least it should give you the option to make an
    exception for [that] program in question.

    Certainly also a *good* sign that you can't do it with 3rd
    party software, seeing as so much malware these days targets
    virus scanners and the more popular firewalls, trying to
    incapacitate them. I'd consider that side of it to be a job
    well done.

    my $00.02's worth :p

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jun 30, 2008
  10. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Malcolm" typed:
    >> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:48:00 +1200
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:

    >>> It re-starts instantly.

    >>> Ye Gods!!
    >>>
    >>> After nearly on hour registering, waiting for the confirmation email
    >>> (they tell you to whitelist a different address than the one the
    >>> confirmation ends up coming from) and searching the site I've been
    >>> unable to find out how to report false positives.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I'll go back to the forums as I saw a thread about stopping
    >>> AVG somewhere there... (If I can only find it again..)
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,

    >> Hi Shaun
    >> Running msconfig should give you the ability to disable them all, you
    >> will need to restart though...

    > Hi Malcolm,
    >
    > Thanks, I may give it a try. FFS it shouldn't be this hard though should it?
    >
    > Hope you're well,

    You should stop the *service*, not the processes!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 30, 2008
  11. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
    >> In article <48682d40$>,
    >> says...
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:

    >>> It re-starts instantly.

    >> CAn you set it to disabled?

    > Hi there. I don't seem to have that option. I guess there are ways of
    > stopping it that involve re-starting the PC. I'm just amazed that I
    > can't simply kill the process' for a time, then re-start them.

    Stop the goddamn service!!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 30, 2008
  12. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
    >> In article <48682d40$>,
    >> says...
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:

    >>> It re-starts instantly.

    >> CAn you set it to disabled?

    > Hi there. I don't seem to have that option. I guess there are ways of
    > stopping it that involve re-starting the PC. I'm just amazed that I
    > can't simply kill the process' for a time, then re-start them.

    The service is restarting the processes every time you kill them. Stop
    the services. On my XP there are three of them.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 30, 2008
  13. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
> [...]
    >>>
    >>> When does an AV programme stop being a tool to protect YOU and
    >>> start being am extension of DRM or a policing programme, to
    >>> protect software companies? Do software companies pay AV
    >>> companies to have patches or cracks listed as 'trojans' or
    >>> malware? Why can't I use this little applet to change the
    >>> half-open connections limit on my machine rather than have to
    >>> learn how to edit the registry?
    >>>
    >>> <shakes head>
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,

    >> See if this sucker will kill it, if AVG will let you run it, that
    >> is! http://www.diamondcs.com.au/advancedseries/apt.php

    > LOL, that proggy has 12 different levels of killing a process, 2 more
    > for 'kernel kill' and another 2 for 'crash'. I tried them all, none
    > of them are able to stop avgrsx.exe!
    >
    > Thanks for that, certainly an education. AVG really take control of

    Not if they know to stop the services that are keeping the processes
    running!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jun 30, 2008
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
    >>> In article <48682d40$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> CAn you set it to disabled?

    >> Hi there. I don't seem to have that option. I guess there are ways of
    >> stopping it that involve re-starting the PC. I'm just amazed that I
    >> can't simply kill the process' for a time, then re-start them.

    > I'm not sure how you're stopping it, are you using the services
    > manager? - services.msc (in the Start, Run dialog).

    I wasn't but I've tried setting it to manual and stopping it but the
    controls for stopping etc. are greyed out. :-(

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 30, 2008
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Enkidu" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Dave Doe" typed:
    >>> In article <48682d40$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> CAn you set it to disabled?

    >> Hi there. I don't seem to have that option. I guess there are ways of
    >> stopping it that involve re-starting the PC. I'm just amazed that I
    >> can't simply kill the process' for a time, then re-start them.
    >>

    > The service is restarting the processes every time you kill them. Stop
    > the services. On my XP there are three of them.

    And can you stop them Cliff? If so, pray tell how exactly?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 30, 2008
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Malcolm" typed:
    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:09:21 +1200
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >>> Running msconfig should give you the ability to disable them all,
    >>> you will need to restart though...

    >> Hi Malcolm,
    >>
    >> Thanks, I may give it a try. FFS it shouldn't be this hard though
    >> should it?
    >>
    >> Hope you're well,

    > Nope it shouldn't. I've never had that sort of an issue with AVG
    > yet....

    Me either. <shrug>

    > Always hot here... averages around 32C every day at the moment and all
    > the wet weather seems to avoid this area. They always promise rain,
    > but it never happens...lol

    That'd be nice. Been bloody wet here, today was the first relatively fine
    day for ages. I managed to get the towels dry. :)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 30, 2008
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Collector€NZ" typed:
> [...]
    >> files that AV companies use, often to protect their own products
    >> rather than protect the user from malware. When does an AV programme stop
    >> being a tool to protect YOU and start
    >> being am extension of DRM or a policing programme, to protect
    >> software companies? Do software companies pay AV companies to have
    >> patches or cracks listed as 'trojans' or malware? Why can't I use
    >> this little applet to change the half-open connections limit on my
    >> machine rather than have to learn how to edit the registry?
    >>
    >> <shakes head>
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Turn off the service (set to manual) then stop the sub processes but
    > then again you could go into the AVG control panel select tools
    > advanced and then go ito the PUP section (potentially unwanted
    > programs) and set an exception for the item giving you a hard time

    Thanks Collector, that worked just fine.

    > Incidentally this is also where you can diasable Link scanning and do
    > a whole lot of other things.
    > I have found AVG (including free) to be quite comprehensive in what it
    > will allow you to configure

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 30, 2008
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Peter Huebner" typed:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> LOL, that proggy has 12 different levels of killing a process, 2
    >> more for 'kernel kill' and another 2 for 'crash'. I tried them all,
    >> none of them are able to stop avgrsx.exe!
    >>
    >> Thanks for that, certainly an education. AVG really take control of
    >> the computer away from the user.

    > Certainly a bloody nuissance that you can't turn it off
    > manually. At least it should give you the option to make an
    > exception for [that] program in question.

    Errrr.....

    > Certainly also a *good* sign that you can't do it with 3rd
    > party software, seeing as so much malware these days targets
    > virus scanners and the more popular firewalls, trying to
    > incapacitate them. I'd consider that side of it to be a job
    > well done.

    I would normally agree with you except this took me too much of my precious
    time to get around. Collector's suggestion worked fine. (Exception.)

    > my $00.02's worth :p

    You got change? I've only got this $0.10 coin...
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 30, 2008
  19. In article <4868b1fc$>,
    says...

    > I would normally agree with you except this took me too much of my precious
    > time to get around. Collector's suggestion worked fine. (Exception.)

    Funny, that post hasn't shown up here yet.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 30, 2008
  20. In article <>,
    ess says...
    > In article <4868b1fc$>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > I would normally agree with you except this took me too much of my precious
    > > time to get around. Collector's suggestion worked fine. (Exception.)
    > >

    > Funny, that post hasn't shown up here yet.
    >
    > -P.

    Belay that, he's now showing up as

    =?windows-1252?Q?Collector=80NZ?

    right. I wonder which part of his newsreader, or mine, is
    responsible for that.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 30, 2008