    Is there any way to sort the results by date?

    resulting list?)

    Mel
    MZB, Aug 25, 2009

  2. MZB

    VanguardLH Guest

    MZB wrote:

    > This has always been annoying. I do a google search and get loads of
    > results, some recent and some 10 years ago.
    >
    > Is there any way to sort the results by date?

    > resulting list?)
    >
    > Mel

    Google Groups results (the archive of Usenet) can be sorted by date
    because the posts have dates. Google News can sort by date because the
    articles have dates. You're saying the "Sort by date" link at the top
    right of the results page doesn't sort by date?

    Web sites don't have dates so you cannot sort them. The content of a
    web site might've been put there a decade ago or ten minutes ago.
    VanguardLH, Aug 25, 2009

  3. MZB

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:h6v6uu$r9k$ VanguardLH <> wrote:

    > Web sites don't have dates so you cannot sort them. The content of a
    > web site might've been put there a decade ago or ten minutes ago.

    Every page exposes the date it was last modified (right-click a page and
    select "Properties" in IE or "View Page Info" in Firefox), which is why
    Google's "advanced search" allows you to filter on "how recent the page
    is", although you can't sort the result on that information.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Aug 25, 2009
  4. MZB

    VanguardLH Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:

    > In news:h6v6uu$r9k$ VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >> Web sites don't have dates so you cannot sort them. The content of a
    >> web site might've been put there a decade ago or ten minutes ago.

    > Every page exposes the date it was last modified (right-click a page and
    > select "Properties" in IE or "View Page Info" in Firefox), which is why
    > Google's "advanced search" allows you to filter on "how recent the page
    > is", although you can't sort the result on that information.

    Every web page? Got to www.intel.com, www.ibm.com, sourceforge.net and
    right-click. No datestamps in the properties info. Besides, the
    modified datestamp is of little value unless you only want to find out
    when the LEAST amount of data on the page got notified. Could be the
    page has news articles linked to somewhere else. That an article
    changed on the page says nothing about when the page itself changed.
    CNN is going to show the current date on every day that you check. The
    page might not have changed for months regarding its code but it
    delivers 3rd party content that changes every few minutes.

    The "publication" datestamp, if present, is of little if any value. The
    Last-Modified HTTP header sent by the server only tells you when the
    *file* datestamp changed. The page could've been touched so its
    modified datestamp changed but nothing on the page got changed. Sites
    don't want their content to look outdated so they might touch their
    pages every few minutes without making any content change. They also
    might want to ensure that you download the latest version of their web
    page instead of grab a copy from your web browser's temporary file
    cache.

    Why do you think Google doesn't bother putting a "Sort by date" link on
    their web search results page? It's of almost not value and often
    either a stagnant value or bogus value.

    Section 14.29, Last-Modified
    VanguardLH, Aug 25, 2009
  5. MZB

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:h709ng$cv3$ VanguardLH <> wrote:

    > Bert Hyman wrote:
    >
    >> In news:h6v6uu$r9k$ VanguardLH <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Web sites don't have dates so you cannot sort them. The content of
    >>> a web site might've been put there a decade ago or ten minutes ago.

    >> Every page exposes the date it was last modified (right-click a page
    >> and select "Properties" in IE or "View Page Info" in Firefox), which
    >> is why Google's "advanced search" allows you to filter on "how recent
    >> the page is", although you can't sort the result on that information.

    > Every web page? Got to www.intel.com, www.ibm.com, sourceforge.net
    > and right-click. No datestamps in the properties info.

    intel.com shows Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:42:18 AM in the Modifed field
    of the Firefox "Page Info"

    ibm.com shows Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:44:14 AM

    sourceforge.net shows Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:44:47 AM

    They're all apparently active pages which are generated on the fly, but
    the info is there.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Aug 25, 2009
  6. MZB

    rd Guest

    "MZB" <> wrote in message
    > This has always been annoying. I do a google search and get loads of
    > results, some recent and some 10 years ago.
    >
    > Is there any way to sort the results by date?

    > resulting list?)
    >
    > Mel

    You asked for it ... you got it !
    Search / show options / pick one
    Seems that this is new. At least new to me.
    rd, Aug 28, 2009
  7. MZB

    VanguardLH Guest

    rd wrote:

    > MZB wrote ...
    >>
    >> This has always been annoying. I do a google search and get loads of
    >> results, some recent and some 10 years ago.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to sort the results by date?

    >> resulting list?)

    > You asked for it ... you got it !
    > Search / show options / pick one
    > Seems that this is new. At least new to me.

    The addition of fixed search ranges on date for web sites still does
    provide meaningful information.

    - Go to Google
    - Search on "Apple to use intel microprocessors beginning in 2006".
    - Click "Show Options" to expand that list.
    - Select "Past year".

    The first article in the results list was (in my search at the time but
    with the default "Sorted by relevance" sorting order):

    http://www.designtaxi.com/news.php?id=537&page=2

    Now look at the datestmap for the article itself. It is dated back in
    2005. An archived copy of Apple's press release on this can be found at
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html. Oh, you thought
    2005 was only 1 year ago? That page was updated back on Aug 12, 2009
    but the datestamp on what you actually searched is 4 years older.

    In the vast majority of cases, the datestamp of a web site is worthless.
    If and only if the web site owner maintains the datestamp does it have
    value but then the web owner decides what value it provides which may
    have nothing to do with the content of their web page. See the other
    replies to understand why. That Google added a date range in their
    search and even an option to "Sort by date" on those results has nothing
    to do with the age of the CONTENT on which you searched.

    The datestamp for a web page is independent of the content on that page.
    You're searching for content, not datestamps on the container. Are
    those muffins that you made today already a decade old because that's
    when you purchased the muffin pan in which the muffins were baked?
    VanguardLH, Aug 29, 2009
  8. MZB

    rd Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > rd wrote:
    >
    >> MZB wrote ...
    >>>
    >>> This has always been annoying. I do a google search and get loads of
    >>> results, some recent and some 10 years ago.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way to sort the results by date?

    >>> resulting list?)

    >> You asked for it ... you got it !
    >> Search / show options / pick one
    >> Seems that this is new. At least new to me.

    > The addition of fixed search ranges on date for web sites still does
    > provide meaningful information.
    >
    > - Go to Google
    > - Search on "Apple to use intel microprocessors beginning in 2006".
    > - Click "Show Options" to expand that list.
    > - Select "Past year".
    >
    > The first article in the results list was (in my search at the time but
    > with the default "Sorted by relevance" sorting order):
    >
    > http://www.designtaxi.com/news.php?id=537&page=2
    >
    > Now look at the datestmap for the article itself. It is dated back in
    > 2005. An archived copy of Apple's press release on this can be found at
    > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html. Oh, you thought
    > 2005 was only 1 year ago? That page was updated back on Aug 12, 2009
    > but the datestamp on what you actually searched is 4 years older.
    >
    > In the vast majority of cases, the datestamp of a web site is worthless.
    > If and only if the web site owner maintains the datestamp does it have
    > value but then the web owner decides what value it provides which may
    > have nothing to do with the content of their web page. See the other
    > replies to understand why. That Google added a date range in their
    > search and even an option to "Sort by date" on those results has nothing
    > to do with the age of the CONTENT on which you searched.
    >
    > The datestamp for a web page is independent of the content on that page.
    > You're searching for content, not datestamps on the container. Are
    > those muffins that you made today already a decade old because that's
    > when you purchased the muffin pan in which the muffins were baked?

    OK maybe not perfect. But it does help. I was searching on info regarding an
    anticipated release of a new piece of hardware. When switching to sort by
    "time" ... the links were what I wanted. Not a wikipedia article. So suit
    yourself and do things to your preference.
    rd, Aug 29, 2009