    is printed?

    Thanks,
    SW
    Summer Wind, Oct 23, 2007

  2. Summer Wind

    Ken Hart Guest

    "Summer Wind" <> wrote in message
    news:_QnTi.81$...
    > Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the picture,
    > do you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop, or after the
    > photo is printed?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > SW

    I hot-stamp the lower right hand corner in gold leaf. Additionally, since I
    use Kodak's Endura pro paper, the back is printed with a copyright legend.
    Ken Hart, Oct 23, 2007

  3. Summer Wind

    JohnR66 Guest

    > Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the picture,
    > do you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop, or after the
    > photo is printed?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > SW

    I always recommend signing the art medium itself, never the mat since it may
    be separated from the print at some point in its life (reframing job or
    such)
    JohnR66, Oct 23, 2007
  4. Summer Wind

    Pat Guest

    On Oct 23, 10:51 am, "Ken Hart" <> wrote:
    > "Summer Wind" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:_QnTi.81$...> Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the picture,
    > > do you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop, or after the
    > > photo is printed?

    > > Thanks,
    > > SW

    > I hot-stamp the lower right hand corner in gold leaf. Additionally, since I
    > use Kodak's Endura pro paper, the back is printed with a copyright legend.

    I think the Endura paper has the copyright protection built into the
    paper, too, that shuts down most newer printers.
    Pat, Oct 23, 2007
  5. I sign the mount board - and - I dry mount.

    The mount board is an integral part of the
    print.

    --
    Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm
    Nicholas O. Lindan, Oct 23, 2007
  6. Summer Wind

    Guest

    On Oct 23, 10:48 am, "Summer Wind" <> wrote:
    > Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the picture, do
    > you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop, or after the photo
    > is printed?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > SW

    + if you want to sign all your pictures,
    I'd just scan a signature, save it, and then add as a layer in the
    corner of
    your pictures... since its a digital file now, you can also change the
    ink color,
    and of course size.
    , Oct 24, 2007
  7. On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:48:26 -0500, "Summer Wind"
    <> wrote:

    >Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the picture, do
    >you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop, or after the photo
    >is printed?

    I do mine in Photoshop. My handwriting isn't the best; it would be too
    large if I signed them by hand, and it would take forever to do a bach
    of them.

    It is so much easier to do them in photoshop.
    Meghan Noecker, Oct 24, 2007
  8. "Summer Wind" <> wrote in

    > Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the
    > picture, do you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop,
    > or after the photo is printed?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > SW

    If it’s requested I sign the mat. I don't think my signature looks all that
    good on my photos. If I had a cool looking signature like Ansal Adams did,
    then I would sign my prints. I don’t think my signature enhances my photos
    so I only do it by request. I do put a copy right mark on the back of the
    print or if mounted on the mat were it will not show in normal viewing. My
    advice is to look at your prints signed and un-signed and see if ego aside
    does it look better or worse signed.

    John Passaneau
    John Passaneau, Oct 24, 2007
  9. "John Passaneau" <> wrote

    > My advice is to look at your prints signed and
    > un-signed and see if ego aside does it look better
    > or worse signed.

    Maybe a course in penmanship?

    I could certainly use one.

    Nicholas O. Lindan, Oct 24, 2007
  10. "Summer Wind" <> wrote in

    > Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the
    > picture, do you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop,
    > or after the photo is printed?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > SW

    Most of my landscape prints are bought or hired mainly for hanging in
    office foyers and waiting areas. Recently I sold some to a Financial
    advisor who specifically refused to take delivery of any if they had my
    signature on them.
    http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au/portfolio/print1.htm

    There seems to be a need amongst photographer's to have their "name up in
    lights" but I think many people only want to see the picture and believe a
    signature is defacing the work. They do after all buy them to look at.

    Perhaps a better idea is to insert a 6 pixel mark in your photos which
    will only show up when you know where it is and look under a loupe. Then
    you could stamp or sign the back of them with your identity information.
    This gives you copyright protection and advertising without offense.

    My wedding albums have no blatant advertising on them but the protective
    box they get delivered in is clearly marked as is the back of every photo
    and of course, the ID mark.

    Doug

    Aussie, Aussie Aussie, Oct 25, 2007
  11. "Nicholas O. Lindan" <> wrote in news:13huinrai4gskb6
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > "John Passaneau" <> wrote
    >
    >> My advice is to look at your prints signed and
    >> un-signed and see if ego aside does it look better
    >> or worse signed.

    > Maybe a course in penmanship?
    >
    > I could certainly use one.

    Until I took drafting in high school, I couldn't read my own writing if it
    was an hour old. It took hours of learning to print to make my handwriting
    sort of readable. Thank God for printers and computers.

    John Passaneau
    John Passaneau, Oct 25, 2007
  12. Summer Wind

    Summer Wind Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 23, 10:48 am, "Summer Wind" <> wrote:
    >> Do you sign the photograph itself, or the mat? If you sign the picture,
    >> do
    >> you add your name and copyright information in Photoshop, or after the
    >> photo
    >> is printed?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> SW

    > + if you want to sign all your pictures,
    > I'd just scan a signature, save it, and then add as a layer in the
    > corner of
    > your pictures... since its a digital file now, you can also change the
    > ink color,
    > and of course size.

    Thanks to everyone for their advice. Recently, I've been signing my
    pictures after printing with an extra fine Sharpie. The appearance of my
    signature varies and it's not always attractive, and black isn't always the
    best color choice. When I've added my name and copyright info using text in
    PS, the results were a little too formal. Scanning my signature or creating
    a custom brush are good ideas and I'll give them a try.

    Thanks again,
    SW
    Summer Wind, Oct 25, 2007
  13. Summer Wind

    Pudentame Guest

    John Passaneau wrote:
    > "Nicholas O. Lindan" <> wrote in news:13huinrai4gskb6
    > @corp.supernews.com:
    >
    >> "John Passaneau" <> wrote
    >>
    >>> My advice is to look at your prints signed and
    >>> un-signed and see if ego aside does it look better
    >>> or worse signed.

    >> Maybe a course in penmanship?
    >>
    >> I could certainly use one.
    >>

    > Until I took drafting in high school, I couldn't read my own writing if it
    > was an hour old. It took hours of learning to print to make my handwriting
    > sort of readable. Thank God for printers and computers.
    >
    > John Passaneau

    LOL. I still print everything and those drafting classes were 40 years
    or more ago. But I can print block caps faster than most can write in
    cursive.
    Pudentame, Oct 25, 2007