    paper obviously)

    Anyone want to share their opinion about fax vs e-fax? Anyone use efax?
    Thanks.

    Jim, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Jim

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Jim said:

    > I have to choose between two options: use an online fax collector like
    > e-fax or just get my own fax machine. I'm kind of leaning toward the
    > fax machine right now, but what is involved to set it up? There's a
    > couple of questions I have about the setup too, like do I choose my own
    > number or is it just assigned to me? How is it assigned? Do I call up a
    > number or pick from a list or is the number included in each fax
    > machine? What types of things am I going to have to buy to get the fax
    > machine running? I know about the USB cable, but what else? (besides
    > paper obviously)
    >
    > Anyone want to share their opinion about fax vs e-fax? Anyone use efax?
    > Thanks.

    If you buy a fax machine, you plug it into your phone line, or get your
    telephone company to supply a second telephone line if you want to have 2
    different numbers.
    If you get a dial-up modem, you usually get phone/fax/voice software supplied
    with it. This option allows you to use your printer to print the faxes with.

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware mirror

    Brian H¹©, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Jim

    Mcploppy © Guest

    Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:

    > I have to choose between two options: use an online fax collector
    > like e-fax or just get my own fax machine. I'm kind of leaning
    > toward the fax machine right now, but what is involved to set it up?
    > There's a couple of questions I have about the setup too, like do I
    > choose my own number or is it just assigned to me? How is it
    > assigned? Do I call up a number or pick from a list or is the number
    > included in each fax machine? What types of things am I going to
    > have to buy to get the fax machine running? I know about the USB
    > cable, but what else? (besides paper obviously)
    >
    > Anyone want to share their opinion about fax vs e-fax? Anyone use
    > efax? Thanks.

    Hi Jim

    Microsft fax can be set up on your machine this uses your own phone/PC/Modem
    to receive/send fax's

    More info can be found here:
    http://tinyurl.com/hq0j

    I use YAC to receive faxes www.yac.com

    HTH
    --
    Greg Crawford
    { Remove both MyShoes to email me}

    Mcploppy ©, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Jim

    Mcploppy © Guest

    Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:

    <Snip>

    >> Hi Jim
    >>
    >> Microsft fax can be set up on your machine this uses your own
    >> phone/PC/Modem to receive/send fax's
    >>
    >> More info can be found here:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/hq0j
    >>

    > Hmm. Checked the link out. No mention of price. Do you know how
    > much for the service/software?

    It's Free part of windows software

    >> I use YAC to receive faxes www.yac.com

    > Too bad I can't understand their prices. ;)

    They give you a YAC number, you use this as your fax/voicemail number, they
    then email your fax or voicemail to you free.
    They make their money from the call charge. Look here:
    http://tinyurl.com/huc1

    Mcploppy ©, Jul 23, 2003
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Mcploppy © <> wrote in message

    > Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:
    >
    > <Snip>
    >
    > >> Hi Jim
    > >>
    > >> Microsft fax can be set up on your machine this uses your own
    > >> phone/PC/Modem to receive/send fax's
    > >>
    > >> More info can be found here:
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/hq0j
    > >>

    > > Hmm. Checked the link out. No mention of price. Do you know how
    > > much for the service/software?

    > It's Free part of windows software

    Ok, so my next question would be: Is this any different than efax
    service? Efax charges 9.95 a month I believe to have the service. And
    this is the exact same service through Microsoft and it's free?! If
    so, the choice is obvious. But is there any charge to send faxes? I
    haven't found pricing on that yet if there is.

    > >> I use YAC to receive faxes www.yac.com

    > > Too bad I can't understand their prices. ;)

    > They give you a YAC number, you use this as your fax/voicemail

    number, they
    > then email your fax or voicemail to you free.
    > They make their money from the call charge. Look here:
    > http://tinyurl.com/huc1
    >
    >Not liking the per minute charge, but otherwise seems like a nice

    service.

    Jim, Jul 23, 2003
  6. Jim

    Mcploppy © Guest

    Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:

    > Ok, so my next question would be: Is this any different than efax
    > service? Efax charges 9.95 a month I believe to have the service.
    > And this is the exact same service through Microsoft and it's free?!
    > If so, the choice is obvious. But is there any charge to send faxes?
    > I haven't found pricing on that yet if there is.

    OK ....If you have a dial-up modem, they are usually fax compatible using
    the fax software that is allready built into windows You can send and
    receive faxes on your own home phoneline. You can then print the received
    faxes out using your own printer.

    Cost to send Fax will be the cost of the call as stated by your telephone
    service provider.

    As far as receiving faxes goes, if your phoneline is in use, e.g connected
    to the internet or making a call, you will be unable to receive faxes, this
    is where the YAC number comes in. It costs nothing for you to receive the
    fax to this number. They then email the fax to you. Cost to receive fax
    zero.
    The person that sends the fax dials an 07092 number and will be charged at
    the standard 'K' telecoms rate ...No cost to you

    Mcploppy ©, Jul 23, 2003
  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Mcploppy © <> wrote in message

    > Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:
    >
    > > Ok, so my next question would be: Is this any different than efax
    > > service? Efax charges 9.95 a month I believe to have the service.
    > > And this is the exact same service through Microsoft and it's free?!
    > > If so, the choice is obvious. But is there any charge to send

    faxes?
    > > I haven't found pricing on that yet if there is.
    > >

    > OK ....If you have a dial-up modem, they are usually fax compatible

    using
    > the fax software that is allready built into windows You can send and
    > receive faxes on your own home phoneline. You can then print the

    received
    > faxes out using your own printer.
    >
    > Cost to send Fax will be the cost of the call as stated by your

    telephone
    > service provider.
    >
    > As far as receiving faxes goes, if your phoneline is in use, e.g

    connected
    > to the internet or making a call, you will be unable to receive faxes,

    this
    > is where the YAC number comes in. It costs nothing for you to receive

    the
    > fax to this number. They then email the fax to you. Cost to receive

    fax
    > zero.
    > The person that sends the fax dials an 07092 number and will be

    charged at
    > the standard 'K' telecoms rate ...No cost to you
    >
    > Ok, I like it and I don't like it. You never mentioned anything about

    a monthly fee, and this would be better than efax if this is the case.
    (Is there a monthly fee with YAC?) Sending through efax is I believe
    10 cents/page and with YAC just charging regular phone charge if you
    have the right plan on your phone line i would imagine the price is
    better using YAC there too.

    However, with efax the person sending the fax wouldn't even know the
    user had no fax machine because no access number has to be dialed. Efax
    gives you a set fax number separate from your phone line (I guess that's
    different from Microsoft Fax then) and the user doesn't dial an access
    code. Since this is a large company that would be faxing me on a
    regular basis along with hundreds of other people, I doubt they'd want
    to have to dial access numbers just to send to me. So I'd prefer not to
    go that route.

    Darn so close. If there's a way around it though, please tell. Thanks.

    Jim, Jul 23, 2003
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Jim <> wrote in message

    > Mcploppy © <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:
    > >
    > > > Ok, so my next question would be: Is this any different than efax
    > > > service? Efax charges 9.95 a month I believe to have the service.
    > > > And this is the exact same service through Microsoft and it's

    free?!
    > > > If so, the choice is obvious. But is there any charge to send

    > faxes?
    > > > I haven't found pricing on that yet if there is.
    > > >

    > > OK ....If you have a dial-up modem, they are usually fax compatible

    > using
    > > the fax software that is allready built into windows You can send

    and
    > > receive faxes on your own home phoneline. You can then print the

    > received
    > > faxes out using your own printer.
    > >
    > > Cost to send Fax will be the cost of the call as stated by your

    > telephone
    > > service provider.
    > >
    > > As far as receiving faxes goes, if your phoneline is in use, e.g

    > connected
    > > to the internet or making a call, you will be unable to receive

    faxes,
    > this
    > > is where the YAC number comes in. It costs nothing for you to

    receive
    > the
    > > fax to this number. They then email the fax to you. Cost to receive

    > fax
    > > zero.
    > > The person that sends the fax dials an 07092 number and will be

    > charged at
    > > the standard 'K' telecoms rate ...No cost to you
    > >
    > > Ok, I like it and I don't like it. You never mentioned anything

    about
    > a monthly fee, and this would be better than efax if this is the case.
    > (Is there a monthly fee with YAC?) Sending through efax is I believe
    > 10 cents/page and with YAC just charging regular phone charge if you
    > have the right plan on your phone line i would imagine the price is
    > better using YAC there too.
    >
    > However, with efax the person sending the fax wouldn't even know the
    > user had no fax machine because no access number has to be dialed.

    Efax
    > gives you a set fax number separate from your phone line (I guess

    that's
    > different from Microsoft Fax then) and the user doesn't dial an access
    > code. Since this is a large company that would be faxing me on a
    > regular basis along with hundreds of other people, I doubt they'd want
    > to have to dial access numbers just to send to me. So I'd prefer not

    > go that route.
    >
    > Darn so close. If there's a way around it though, please tell.

    Thanks.

    > >Oh, not to mention, I doubt they'd want to be *charged* to send out

    to me. So I guess if there's no other option with YAC, that service
    just won't work for me. Thanks for the information though. :)

    Jim, Jul 23, 2003
  9. Jim

    Mcploppy © Guest

    Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:

    > Mcploppy © <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:
    >>
    >>> Ok, so my next question would be: Is this any different than efax
    >>> service? Efax charges 9.95 a month I believe to have the service.
    >>> And this is the exact same service through Microsoft and it's free?!
    >>> If so, the choice is obvious. But is there any charge to send
    >>> faxes? I haven't found pricing on that yet if there is.
    >>>

    >> OK ....If you have a dial-up modem, they are usually fax compatible
    >> using the fax software that is allready built into windows You can
    >> send and receive faxes on your own home phoneline. You can then
    >> print the received faxes out using your own printer.
    >>
    >> Cost to send Fax will be the cost of the call as stated by your
    >> telephone service provider.
    >>
    >> As far as receiving faxes goes, if your phoneline is in use, e.g
    >> connected to the internet or making a call, you will be unable to
    >> receive faxes, this is where the YAC number comes in. It costs
    >> nothing for you to receive the fax to this number. They then email
    >> the fax to you. Cost to receive fax zero.
    >> The person that sends the fax dials an 07092 number and will be
    >> charged at the standard 'K' telecoms rate ...No cost to you
    >>

    > Ok, I like it and I don't like it. You never mentioned anything about
    > a monthly fee, and this would be better than efax if this is the case.
    > (Is there a monthly fee with YAC?) Sending through efax is I believe
    > 10 cents/page and with YAC just charging regular phone charge if you
    > have the right plan on your phone line i would imagine the price is
    > better using YAC there too.
    >
    > However, with efax the person sending the fax wouldn't even know the
    > user had no fax machine because no access number has to be dialed.
    > Efax gives you a set fax number separate from your phone line (I
    > guess that's different from Microsoft Fax then) and the user doesn't
    > dial an access code. Since this is a large company that would be
    > faxing me on a regular basis along with hundreds of other people, I
    > doubt they'd want to have to dial access numbers just to send to me.
    > So I'd prefer not to go that route.
    >
    > Darn so close. If there's a way around it though, please tell.
    > Thanks.

    I use my PC to send faxes. YAC to receive

    YAC .......There is no Setup fee or monthly charge to you. Only cost is the
    cost of the call (to the sender)

    The microsoft software is on your PC allready.... and as long as your phone
    line is not in use then you will be able to receive faxes at no cost to you.
    And the cost to the sender is the cost of their call.

    If you use the microsoft fax to send faxes you only pay the cost of the
    call.... No monthly charge or setup fee

    Mcploppy ©, Jul 23, 2003
  10. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Mcploppy © <> wrote in message

    > Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:
    >
    > > Mcploppy © <> wrote in message

    free?!

    > >> OK ....If you have a dial-up modem, they are usually fax compatible
    > >> using the fax software that is allready built into windows You can
    > >> send and receive faxes on your own home phoneline. You can then
    > >> print the received faxes out using your own printer.
    > >>
    > >> Cost to send Fax will be the cost of the call as stated by your
    > >> telephone service provider.
    > >>
    > >> As far as receiving faxes goes, if your phoneline is in use, e.g
    > >> connected to the internet or making a call, you will be unable to
    > >> receive faxes, this is where the YAC number comes in. It costs
    > >> nothing for you to receive the fax to this number. They then email
    > >> the fax to you. Cost to receive fax zero.
    > >> The person that sends the fax dials an 07092 number and will be
    > >> charged at the standard 'K' telecoms rate ...No cost to you
    > >>

    > > Ok, I like it and I don't like it. You never mentioned anything

    about
    > > a monthly fee, and this would be better than efax if this is the

    case.
    > > (Is there a monthly fee with YAC?) Sending through efax is I

    believe
    > > 10 cents/page and with YAC just charging regular phone charge if

    you
    > > have the right plan on your phone line i would imagine the price is
    > > better using YAC there too.
    > >
    > > However, with efax the person sending the fax wouldn't even know the
    > > user had no fax machine because no access number has to be dialed.
    > > Efax gives you a set fax number separate from your phone line (I
    > > guess that's different from Microsoft Fax then) and the user doesn't
    > > dial an access code. Since this is a large company that would be
    > > faxing me on a regular basis along with hundreds of other people, I
    > > doubt they'd want to have to dial access numbers just to send to me.
    > > So I'd prefer not to go that route.
    > >
    > > Darn so close. If there's a way around it though, please tell.
    > > Thanks.

    > I use my PC to send faxes. YAC to receive
    >
    > YAC .......There is no Setup fee or monthly charge to you. Only cost

    is the
    > cost of the call (to the sender)

    Again, that darned access number they have to dial. With hundreds of
    senders they're not going to take the time to single me out. So it's
    not really an option.

    > The microsoft software is on your PC allready.... and as long as your

    phone
    > line is not in use then you will be able to receive faxes at no cost

    to you.
    > And the cost to the sender is the cost of their call.
    >
    > If you use the microsoft fax to send faxes you only pay the cost of

    the
    > call.... No monthly charge or setup fee
    >
    > This would be the same phone charge as sending a regular fax to an

    actual fax machine and vice versa correct?

    Jim, Jul 23, 2003
  11. Jim

    Mcploppy © Guest

    Jim Bashed at the keyboard and said:

    <snip>
    > Again, that darned access number they have to dial. With hundreds of
    > senders they're not going to take the time to single me out. So it's
    > not really an option.
    >>
    >> The microsoft software is on your PC allready.... and as long as
    >> your phone line is not in use then you will be able to receive faxes
    >> at no cost to you. And the cost to the sender is the cost of their
    >> call.
    >>
    >> If you use the microsoft fax to send faxes you only pay the cost of
    >> the call.... No monthly charge or setup fee
    >>
    >> This would be the same phone charge as sending a regular fax to an

    > actual fax machine and vice versa correct?

    Yep

    Mcploppy ©, Jul 24, 2003
  12. Jim

    lindysmith

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    setting up fax machine

    hi
    i have a dell 942 all in printer the printer is working fine the scanner is working fine but i cannot send or receive fax i have it all plugged in and a usb lead going to the pc do i have to have a lead going from the printer to a phone line i didnt think it would be necs as the phone lead goes from the modem to the pc please help
    kind regards
    lindy smith

    lindysmith, Aug 9, 2008