    etc etc and have realised I don't know how to say the word, let alone use
    the OS.
    Is it pronounced "line ux" or "linn ux" ?

    The Biker, Jul 26, 2006

  2. The Biker

    Shane Guest

    The Biker wrote:

    > So forgive my ignorance please, but I've just become interested in ubuntu
    > etc etc and have realised I don't know how to say the word, let alone use
    > the OS.
    > Is it pronounced "line ux" or "linn ux" ?

    or leen ox
    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Jul 26, 2006

  3. The Biker

    The Biker Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > The Biker wrote:
    >
    >> So forgive my ignorance please, but I've just become interested in ubuntu
    >> etc etc and have realised I don't know how to say the word, let alone
    >> use
    >> the OS.
    >> Is it pronounced "line ux" or "linn ux" ?

    > or leen ox

    Lunix ?

    The Biker, Jul 26, 2006
  4. The Biker

    Shane Guest

    The Biker wrote:

    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >> The Biker wrote:
    >>
    >>> So forgive my ignorance please, but I've just become interested in
    >>> ubuntu
    >>> etc etc and have realised I don't know how to say the word, let alone
    >>> use
    >>> the OS.
    >>> Is it pronounced "line ux" or "linn ux" ?

    >> or leen ox

    > Lunix ?

    Me personally I couldnt care less if its pronounced weendows
    The creator of the Linux kernel's name is Linus (Possible pronounciation
    hint) and he has given his opinion on its pronunciation
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/saylinux.htm
    "I Personally say Linux rhyming with the English word cynics. That might
    only be because I am so cynical."

    3Meg avi file (from above page)
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/media/saylinux.avi

    I only thank jebus that they dropped the gay looking penguin for the hip new
    penguin :)

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Jul 26, 2006
  5. The Biker

    > The Biker wrote:
    >

    >> "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message

    > Me personally I couldnt care less if its pronounced weendows
    > The creator of the Linux kernel's name is Linus (Possible pronounciation
    > hint) and he has given his opinion on its pronunciation
    > http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/saylinux.htm
    > "I Personally say Linux rhyming with the English word cynics. That might
    > only be because I am so cynical."
    >
    > 3Meg avi file (from above page)
    > http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/media/saylinux.avi
    >

    > I only thank jebus that they dropped the gay looking penguin for the hip
    > new
    > penguin :)

    Thanks for that Shane. Linnnicks.......now I know.
    Yeah the penguin is a cool dude.

    The Biker, Jul 26, 2006
  6. On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:56:45 +1200, The Biker <>
    wrote in <news:44c72043$>:

    > So forgive my ignorance please, but I've just become interested in ubuntu
    > etc etc and have realised I don't know how to say the word, let alone use
    > the OS.
    > Is it pronounced "line ux" or "linn ux" ?

    Look at how it's spelled ... then guess.

    --
    Die dulci fruere,
    Nicolaas.

    .... Oh -- and a bottle of bandersnatch repellent, please.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jul 26, 2006
  7. The Biker

    thingy Guest

    The Biker wrote:
    > So forgive my ignorance please, but I've just become interested in ubuntu
    > etc etc and have realised I don't know how to say the word, let alone use
    > the OS.
    > Is it pronounced "line ux" or "linn ux" ?

    Do a search on google for Linus pronouncing it....straight from the
    horses mouth as it were....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jul 26, 2006
  8. The Biker

    Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:56:45 +1200, "The Biker" <> wrote:

    >So forgive my ignorance please, but I've just become interested in ubuntu
    >etc etc and have realised I don't know how to say the word, let alone use
    >the OS.
    >Is it pronounced "line ux" or "linn ux" ?

    No Its LUNIX..

    , Jul 26, 2006
  9. The Biker

    Guest

    Re: How Do You Say Linux? say LUNIX

    On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:57:50 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    >The Biker wrote:
    >
    >> So forgive my ignorance please, but I've just become interested in ubuntu
    >> etc etc and have realised I don't know how to say the word, let alone use
    >> the OS.
    >> Is it pronounced "line ux" or "linn ux" ?

    >or leen ox

    , Jul 26, 2006
  10. The Biker

    TomC Guest

    wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:56:45 +1200, "The Biker" <> wrote:
    >

    >>So forgive my ignorance please, but I've just become interested in ubuntu
    >>etc etc and have realised I don't know how to say the word, let alone use
    >>the OS.
    >>Is it pronounced "line ux" or "linn ux" ?

    "linn ux" ......my wife is German ...she knows these things

    http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/torvalds-says-linux.wav

    Cheers,
    Tom

    TomC, Jul 27, 2006
  11. The Biker

    The Biker Guest

    "TomC" <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:56:45 +1200, "The Biker" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>So forgive my ignorance please, but I've just become interested in ubuntu
    >>>etc etc and have realised I don't know how to say the word, let alone
    >>>use the OS.
    >>>Is it pronounced "line ux" or "linn ux" ?

    > "linn ux" ......my wife is German ...she knows these things
    >
    > http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/torvalds-says-linux.wav
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Tom

    Thankyou Tom.

    The Biker, Jul 27, 2006
  12. The Biker

    Earl Grey Guest

    TomC wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:56:45 +1200, "The Biker" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> So forgive my ignorance please, but I've just become interested in
    >>> ubuntu
    >>> etc etc and have realised I don't know how to say the word, let
    >>> alone use the OS.
    >>> Is it pronounced "line ux" or "linn ux" ?

    > "linn ux" ......my wife is German ...she knows these things

    WTF has that got to do with a name made up by a Finn ?

    Earl Grey, Jul 27, 2006
  13. The Biker

    TomC Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > TomC wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:

    >> "linn ux" ......my wife is German ...she knows these things

    >> http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/torvalds-says-linux.wav
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Tom

    WTF has that got to do with a name made up by a Finn ?

    The Germans are big developers & users of Linux.
    My wife is teaching herself samba servers & to compile linux
    kernels for firewalls.

    cheers Tom

    TomC, Jul 27, 2006
  14. The Biker

    Earl Grey Guest

    TomC wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> TomC wrote:

    >>> "linn ux" ......my wife is German ...she knows these things

    >>> http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/torvalds-says-linux.wav
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Tom

    > WTF has that got to do with a name made up by a Finn ?
    >
    > The Germans are big developers & users of Linux.
    > My wife is teaching herself samba servers & to compile linux kernels for
    > firewalls.
    >
    > cheers Tom

    Sorry, I still don't get the connection with being German and
    pronunciation of a trade name.

    However I've always wondered why Germans have that shelf bit in their
    toilet bowls, perhaps you could ask her about that ?

    Earl Grey, Jul 27, 2006
  15. The Biker

    Alan Guest

    "The Biker" <> wrote in message
    > So forgive my ignorance please, but I've just become interested in
    > ubuntu
    > etc etc and have realised I don't know how to say the word, let
    > alone use the OS.
    > Is it pronounced "line ux" or "linn ux" ?

    How do you pronounce Linus Torvald's name (excuse an spelling mistake
    in there)?

    If it is Linn-us then I would say Linn-ux.

    If it is Line-us then I would say Line-ux

    Or perhaps you should contact him to ask directly!

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Jul 27, 2006
  16. In message <44c84435$>, Earl Grey wrote:

    > However I've always wondered why Germans have that shelf bit in their
    > toilet bowls, perhaps you could ask her about that ?

    Wild guess: makes it less noisy for the ladies to have a pee?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 27, 2006
  17. The Biker

    Don Stokes Guest

    In article <44c72043$>, The Biker <reply to group> wrote:
    >So forgive my ignorance please, but I've just become interested in ubuntu
    >etc etc and have realised I don't know how to say the word, let alone use
    >the OS.

    Google is your friend.

    >Is it pronounced "line ux" or "linn ux" ?

    Neither.

    http://mostlylinux.ca/pronounce/

    -- don

    Don Stokes, Jul 27, 2006
  18. The Biker

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <44c84435$>, Earl Grey wrote:
    >
    >> However I've always wondered why Germans have that shelf bit in their
    >> toilet bowls, perhaps you could ask her about that ?

    > Wild guess: makes it less noisy for the ladies to have a pee?

    Wow toilet trash talk yey I like the one using a wine bottle cork in the
    dunny during party's stops the blokes missing the toilet pan and makes
    it a little quieter. Now hard to get corks from wine bottles (SIGH)

    Robert Cooze, Jul 27, 2006
  19. The Biker

    The Biker Guest

    "Don Stokes" <> wrote in message
    > In article <44c72043$>, The Biker <reply to group> wrote:
    >>So forgive my ignorance please, but I've just become interested in ubuntu
    >>etc etc and have realised I don't know how to say the word, let alone use
    >>the OS.

    > Google is your friend.
    >
    >>Is it pronounced "line ux" or "linn ux" ?

    > Neither.
    >
    > http://mostlylinux.ca/pronounce/
    >
    > -- don

    Aw heck Don, grin, now I'm thinking of going right back to calling it
    what I did before I started this thread. Line ux.... cool site thanks.

    The Biker, Jul 27, 2006
  20. The Biker

    Mike Dee Guest

    Mike Dee, Jul 28, 2006