    I had some files I needed to rename but they came from a stream and the name
    of the files are long, so whenever I right click and try to rename, it won't
    let me. Any ideas?

    murphdrag, Feb 13, 2005

  2. murphdrag

    Ben Myers Guest

    Try moving the files to the root folder of the drive and renaming them there.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Feb 13, 2005

  3. murphdrag wrote:

    > I had some files I needed to rename but they came from a stream and the name
    > of the files are long, so whenever I right click and try to rename, it won't
    > let me. Any ideas?

    To group: why would long names not be editable, even in Windows?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Now killing all posts made with User-Agent G2 (Google Groups)

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 13, 2005
  4. murphdrag

    dadiOH Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > murphdrag wrote:
    >
    >> I had some files I needed to rename but they came from a stream and
    >> the name of the files are long, so whenever I right click and try to
    >> rename, it won't let me. Any ideas?

    > To group: why would long names not be editable, even in Windows?

    Should be. Maybe the pointer (or however Windows manages the
    relationship short<>long) to the DOS name got boloxed up. Scandisk
    might/should fix that.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Feb 13, 2005
  5. murphdrag

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    | murphdrag wrote:
    |
    | > I had some files I needed to rename but they came from a stream and the
    name
    | > of the files are long, so whenever I right click and try to rename, it
    won't
    | > let me. Any ideas?
    |
    | To group: why would long names not be editable, even in Windows?

    1) file in use
    2) duplicate file name
    3) user error

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2005
  6. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >| murphdrag wrote:
    >|
    >| > I had some files I needed to rename but they came from a stream and the
    > name
    >| > of the files are long, so whenever I right click and try to rename, it
    > won't
    >| > let me. Any ideas?
    >|
    >| To group: why would long names not be editable, even in Windows?
    >|
    > 1) file in use
    > 2) duplicate file name
    > 3) user error

    That's Windows' response to trying to edit a long filename (or, in this
    case, I guess a filename with a long path)?

    Can you move/copy/whatever with a new name at the prompt?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Now killing all posts made from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 13, 2005
  7. murphdrag

    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    |
    | > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    | >| murphdrag wrote:
    | >|
    | > name
    | > won't
    | >|
    | >| To group: why would long names not be editable, even in Windows?
    | >|
    | > 1) file in use
    | > 2) duplicate file name
    | > 3) user error
    |
    | That's Windows' response to trying to edit a long filename (or, in this
    | case, I guess a filename with a long path)?
    |
    | Can you move/copy/whatever with a new name at the prompt?

    Yes, unless the file is "in use". This has been discussed here before - the
    "file can't be deleted" threads - AVI files, particularly, i.e, Windows
    trying to create a thumbnail, even though no other program is "using" the
    file. Moving, copying, deleting, renaming, they all get the same response:
    Windows won't do it.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2005