    Is the SPYHUNTER download software on this site worth it and
    effective? : http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/ov_Parasite_Category/Trojans/

    Thanks in advance.

    The Sun Tribe, May 9, 2009

  2. The Sun Tribe

    1PW Guest

    Re: How do you remove Trojan Virus? My McAfee program can't seemto get rid of it.

    On 05/09/2009 02:38 AM, The Sun Tribe sent:
    > I keep getting re-directed when I used search engines. I think I have
    > trojan virus. Is that what the trojan virus does? Screws up searches
    > on google and yahoo?
    >
    > I ran McAfee several times, and each time it detected and removed
    > NTOSKRNL-HOOK (Trojan). And, my searches on google and yahoo are back
    > to normal again. But, few days later, I start getting redirected to
    > funny sites when I do searches again. So, I re-run the McAfee scan and
    > it says it detected and removed the Trojan hook again. How can I get
    > rid of it permanently?
    >
    > Is the SPYHUNTER download software on this site worth it and
    > effective? : http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/ov_Parasite_Category/Trojans/
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Hello:

    Download, install, update and run the following freeware:

    MBAM: <http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php>
    SAS: <http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html>

    Please update this thread with your progress. IMO, the above are the
    top two applications of their kind.

    HTH

    Pete
    --
    1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    1PW, May 9, 2009

  3. The Sun Tribe

    Jose Guest

    On May 9, 6:13 am, 1PW <> wrote:
    > On 05/09/2009 02:38 AM, The Sun Tribe sent:
    >
    > > I keep getting re-directed when I used search engines. I think I have
    > > trojan virus. Is that what the trojan virus does? Screws up searches
    > > on google and yahoo?

    > > I ran McAfee several times, and each time it detected and removed
    > > NTOSKRNL-HOOK (Trojan). And, my searches on google and yahoo are back
    > > to normal again. But, few days later, I start getting redirected to
    > > funny sites when I do searches again. So, I re-run the McAfee scan and
    > > it says it detected and removed the Trojan hook again. How can I get
    > > rid of it permanently?

    > > Is the SPYHUNTER download software on this site worth it and
    > > effective? :http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/ov_Parasite_Category/Trojans/

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > Hello:
    >
    > Download, install, update and run the following freeware:
    >
    > MBAM: <http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php>
    >  SAS: <http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html>
    >
    > Please update this thread with your progress.  IMO, the above are the
    > top two applications of their kind.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Pete
    > --
    > 1PW  @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

    If Malwarebytes doesn't fix it, let us know.

    If you or your AV scans can say what trojan was found, that will also
    be good to know.

    Jose, May 9, 2009
  4. The Sun Tribe

    Jose Guest

    On May 9, 5:38 am, The Sun Tribe <> wrote:
    > I keep getting re-directed when I used search engines. I think I have
    > trojan virus. Is that what the trojan virus does? Screws up searches
    > on google and yahoo?
    >
    > I ran McAfee several times, and each time it detected and removed
    > NTOSKRNL-HOOK (Trojan). And, my searches on google and yahoo are back
    > to normal again. But, few days later, I start getting redirected to
    > funny sites when I do searches again. So, I re-run the McAfee scan and
    > it says it detected and removed the Trojan hook again. How can I get
    > rid of it permanently?
    >
    > Is the SPYHUNTER download software on this site worth it and
    > effective? :http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/ov_Parasite_Category/Trojans/
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Oops - you did identify it. Did it give any other clues?

    Try the Malwarebytes and if that doesn't do it, run MBAM again in safe
    mode.

    Does Start, Run, regedit work? How about Start, Run, cmd?

    Please report back.

    Jose, May 9, 2009
  5. The Sun Tribe

    Buffalo Guest

    Jose wrote:
    > On May 9, 5:38 am, The Sun Tribe <> wrote:
    > Try the Malwarebytes and if that doesn't do it, run MBAM again in safe
    > mode.
    >
    > Does Start, Run, regedit work? How about Start, Run, cmd?
    >
    > Please report back.

    I was under the impression that MBAM worked better in Normal mode while SAS
    works better in Safe Mode.

    Buffalo, May 9, 2009
  6. The Sun Tribe

    Jose Guest

    On May 9, 12:58 pm, "Buffalo" <> wrote:
    > Jose wrote:
    > > On May 9, 5:38 am, The Sun Tribe <> wrote:
    > > Try the Malwarebytes and if that doesn't do it, run MBAM again in safe
    > > mode.

    > > Does Start, Run, regedit work?  How about Start, Run, cmd?

    > > Please report back.

    > I was under the impression that MBAM worked better in Normal mode while SAS
    > works better in Safe Mode.

    That could very well be, I sure don't know for sure either way! I
    think I have only booted in safe mode twice in my life.

    Jose, May 9, 2009
  7. The Sun Tribe

    Frank Guest

    The Sun Tribe wrote:
    > I keep getting re-directed when I used search engines. I think I have
    > trojan virus. Is that what the trojan virus does? Screws up searches
    > on google and yahoo?
    >
    > I ran McAfee several times, and each time it detected and removed
    > NTOSKRNL-HOOK (Trojan). And, my searches on google and yahoo are back
    > to normal again. But, few days later, I start getting redirected to
    > funny sites when I do searches again. So, I re-run the McAfee scan and
    > it says it detected and removed the Trojan hook again. How can I get
    > rid of it permanently?
    >
    > Is the SPYHUNTER download software on this site worth it and
    > effective? : http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/ov_Parasite_Category/Trojans/
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I imagine virus can be different but one got past my McAfee and when I
    restored computer to previous date but McAfee would not work and I had
    to remove it. Rather than reinstall I thought I'd try free Avast

    and it found and removed the Trojan virus. Been about 6 trouble free
    weeks now. The virus had reverted my computer to about the day I had
    bought it and none of my files were there including new programs I had
    installed. It was frightening but fortunately Vista restored to a
    previous date and all was OK.

    McAfee is free from Comcast isp but for me has always been a PITA as a
    resource hog.

    Frank, May 9, 2009
  8. Re: How do you remove Trojan Virus? My McAfee program can't seem to get rid of it.

    "The Sun Tribe" <> wrote in message
    >I keep getting re-directed when I used search engines. I think I have
    > trojan virus. Is that what the trojan virus does? Screws up searches
    > on google and yahoo?

    There is no such thing as a "trojan virus" despite what you may have
    heard.

    Mostly, search engine hijacks and browser hijacks are adware/foistware
    related.

    > I ran McAfee several times, and each time it detected and removed
    > NTOSKRNL-HOOK (Trojan). And, my searches on google and yahoo are back
    > to normal again. But, few days later, I start getting redirected to
    > funny sites when I do searches again. So, I re-run the McAfee scan and
    > it says it detected and removed the Trojan hook again. How can I get
    > rid of it permanently?

    You may be getting rid of it just fine, but then re-exposing yourself to
    the foistware by visiting certain sites with your security settings to
    lenient.

    > Is the SPYHUNTER download software on this site worth it and
    > effective? :
    > http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/ov_Parasite_Category/Trojans/

    I don't know too much about that one, but I don't think they will help
    you as much as increased security will. If you really are being only
    partially cleaned by McAfee (or other antimalware), I would suggest
    MalwareBytes Antimalware (MBAM) and SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) because of
    the good recommendations I hear about them in these security related
    newsgroups.

    FromTheRafters, May 9, 2009
  9. The Sun Tribe

    Jose Guest

    On May 9, 6:25 pm, Frank <> wrote:
    > The Sun Tribe wrote:
    > > I keep getting re-directed when I used search engines. I think I have
    > > trojan virus. Is that what the trojan virus does? Screws up searches
    > > on google and yahoo?

    > > I ran McAfee several times, and each time it detected and removed
    > > NTOSKRNL-HOOK (Trojan). And, my searches on google and yahoo are back
    > > to normal again. But, few days later, I start getting redirected to
    > > funny sites when I do searches again. So, I re-run the McAfee scan and
    > > it says it detected and removed the Trojan hook again. How can I get
    > > rid of it permanently?

    > > Is the SPYHUNTER download software on this site worth it and
    > > effective? :http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/ov_Parasite_Category/Trojans/

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > I imagine virus can be different but one got past my McAfee and when I
    > restored computer to previous date but McAfee would not work and I had
    > to remove it.  Rather than reinstall I thought I'd try free Avast

    > and it found and removed the Trojan virus.  Been about 6 trouble free
    > weeks now.  The virus had reverted my computer to about the day I had
    > bought it and none of my files were there including new programs I had
    > installed.  It was frightening but fortunately Vista restored to a
    > previous date and all was OK.
    >
    > McAfee is free from Comcast isp but for me has always been a PITA as a
    > resource hog.

    I agree about McAfee - I have Comcast also. Slow and a resource hog
    like you said, plus it never found a darn thing. Now it is history.

    I am up on MBAM for the moment. Never tried SAS, but might.

    I think he means it like - "the TROJAN virus!", like that is the name
    given to the virus, TROJAN. I'm sticking with "malicious software" to
    be safe.

    Good to know about the safe mode thing...

    Jose, May 10, 2009
  10. Re: How do you remove Trojan Virus? My McAfee program can't seem to get rid of it.

    "Jose" <> wrote in message

    > I think he means it like - "the TROJAN virus!", like that is the name
    > given to the virus, TROJAN.

    That would be an incredibly stupid name for the professionals to use for
    a virus.

    > I'm sticking with "malicious software" to be safe.

    Malware (malicious software) is the correct umbrella term. A virus is a
    particular type of recursively self-replicating malware.

    FromTheRafters, May 10, 2009
  11. The Sun Tribe

    Buffalo Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    >> Saying "trojan virus" ike like saying my car is is a Ford Chrysler.

    I never knew they made them. :)

    Buffalo, May 10, 2009
  12. The Sun Tribe

    Frank Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Frank" <>
    >
    > | The Sun Tribe wrote:
    >>> I keep getting re-directed when I used search engines. I think I have
    >>> trojan virus. Is that what the trojan virus does? Screws up searches
    >>> on google and yahoo?

    >>> I ran McAfee several times, and each time it detected and removed
    >>> NTOSKRNL-HOOK (Trojan). And, my searches on google and yahoo are back
    >>> to normal again. But, few days later, I start getting redirected to
    >>> funny sites when I do searches again. So, I re-run the McAfee scan and
    >>> it says it detected and removed the Trojan hook again. How can I get
    >>> rid of it permanently?

    >>> Is the SPYHUNTER download software on this site worth it and
    >>> effective? : http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/ov_Parasite_Category/Trojans/

    >>> Thanks in advance.

    > | I imagine virus can be different but one got past my McAfee and when I
    > | restored computer to previous date but McAfee would not work and I had
    > | to remove it. Rather than reinstall I thought I'd try free Avast

    > | and it found and removed the Trojan virus. Been about 6 trouble free
    > | weeks now. The virus had reverted my computer to about the day I had
    > | bought it and none of my files were there including new programs I had
    > | installed. It was frightening but fortunately Vista restored to a
    > | previous date and all was OK.
    >

    > | McAfee is free from Comcast isp but for me has always been a PITA as a
    > | resource hog.
    >
    > Either it is a trojan or a virus. Its one or the other (unless you have a case of a
    > trojan infected with a virus).
    >
    > Saying "trojan virus" ike like saying my car is is a Ford Chrysler.

    Can't remember exactly what Avast said, but word "Trojan" was there.
    The way the govmint is mucking up the auto industry, I expect to see a
    Ford Chrysler one day ;)

    Frank, May 15, 2009
  13. The Sun Tribe

    Buffalo Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > Can't remember exactly what Avast said, but word "Trojan" was there.
    > The way the govmint is mucking up the auto industry, I expect to see a
    > Ford Chrysler one day ;)

    Yes, it will be called a Chryord .
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, May 15, 2009
  14. Re: How do you remove Trojan Virus? My McAfee program can't seem to get rid of it.

    "Frank" <> wrote in message
    > David H. Lipman wrote:

    >> Either it is a trojan or a virus. Its one or the other (unless you
    >> have a case of a trojan infected with a virus).
    >>
    >> Saying "trojan virus" ike like saying my car is is a Ford Chrysler.
    >>

    > Can't remember exactly what Avast said, but word "Trojan" was there.

    That wouldn't surprise me - but that doesn't make it correct. :eek:)

    A generally acceptable (but also not entirely correct) hierarchical view
    is that it is a trojan, unless it recursively self-replicates, in which
    case it is a worm, unless it attaches it's replicant to code, in which
    case it is a virus. In actuality the terms are not mutually exclusive.
    Each virally infected file for instance can be considered a trojan.
    Worms often first present themselves to the victim as a trojan as part
    of their lifecycle. Some experts view all replicating code as "virus"
    and place "worm" as a subtype of virus - trojans don't recursively
    self-replicate. So it is a trojan unless it recursively self-replicates,
    in which case it is a virus or worm (which is a type of virus). I think
    David subscribes to this view.

    FromTheRafters, May 15, 2009
  15. Re: How do you remove Trojan Virus? My McAfee program can't seem toget rid of it.

    On May 9, 4:38 am, The Sun Tribe <> wrote:
    > I keep getting re-directed when I used search engines. I think I have
    > trojan virus. Is that what the trojan virus does? Screws up searches
    > on google and yahoo?
    >
    > I ran McAfee several times, and each time it detected and removed
    > NTOSKRNL-HOOK (Trojan). And, my searches on google and yahoo are back
    > to normal again. But, few days later, I start getting redirected to
    > funny sites when I do searches again. So, I re-run the McAfee scan and
    > it says it detected and removed the Trojan hook again. How can I get
    > rid of it permanently?
    >
    > Is the SPYHUNTER download software on this site worth it and
    > effective? :http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/ov_Parasite_Category/Trojans/
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    If you actually are compromised with a virus (different than simply
    catching a virus within a file) the only way to be sure is a wipe and
    reinstall.

    the-changling, May 29, 2009