    details' the driver is listed. but there's no way to remove it. any
    ideas?

    d.

    MDesigns, May 25, 2004

  2. MDesigns

    Thor Guest

    DirectCD is not the main driver that controls the CD drive. It's a program
    that enables packet writing. The CD drive itself uses a totally different
    driver, which is the one you see in the device manager. DirectCD is simply a
    program that runs at windows startup. You need to uninstall DirectCD, either
    by using the add/remove programs in the control panel, or use MSConfig to
    prevent it from loading at startup.

    Thor, May 25, 2004

  3. MDesigns

    ProfGene Guest

    You could try to find what is causing it to load by running msconfig and
    uncheck it.

    ProfGene, May 26, 2004
  4. On Tue, 25 May 2004 16:44:55 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >DirectCD is not the main driver that controls the CD drive. It's a program
    >that enables packet writing. The CD drive itself uses a totally different
    >driver, which is the one you see in the device manager. DirectCD is simply a
    >program that runs at windows startup. You need to uninstall DirectCD, either
    >by using the add/remove programs in the control panel, or use MSConfig to
    >prevent it from loading at startup.
    >

    >"MDesigns" <> wrote in message
    >> i upgraded from 98se to xp, had an old version of direct cd for my
    >> cdrw drive. i don't use direct cd anymore but the driver still loads
    >> at startup, it says 'windows did not start this device driver because
    >> it can cause your computer to become unstable.' i went into 'device
    >> manager', opened properties for the cdrw and under 'driver file
    >> details' the driver is listed. but there's no way to remove it. any
    >> ideas?

    The quick and dirty, but completely effective method would be to start in safe
    mode and delete the file. That will generate a "failed to load" entry in the
    boot log, but won't slow anything down.

    This is not the "proper and neat" method, but it will solve your issue.

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, May 26, 2004
  5. MDesigns

    MDesigns Guest

    tried that but it wasnt listed anywhere, so i went to the roxio site,
    apparently *everyone* who had that program and then upgraded to xp had
    the same problem so they posted a 'zap' file i could download, and
    that fixed it.

    MDesigns, May 27, 2004
  6. MDesigns

    joemalice