    a wayto connect that to my computer (6 feet away) and store programs on
    the computer's hard drive? then maybe burn a DVD?

    Thanks.

    dr-art, Jul 4, 2006

  2. dr-art

    Demnos Guest

    You can buy asata controll card that has an external port. The get a sata
    cable and plug it in. One Item though your windows OS may not recognize the
    drive that you're trying to access. also I wouldn't know who you'de get the
    drivers from to enable 2 way communication from your system to the dvr.

    It would be easier to get at ATI all in Wonder card. It allows you to watch
    cable tv on your computer. It also allows you to record your Favorite shows
    to a drive. The All in Wonder card has a S-video port that would allow you
    to record video from a Video camera straight to your system

    Demnos, Jul 4, 2006

  3. dr-art wrote:

    > My DVR from my cable company ( Cox Communications provided Scientific
    > Atlantic Explorer 8300 DVR) has the ability to record onto VHS, but I
    > want to record onto DVD. The DVR has a SATA port on the back. Is there
    > a wayto connect that to my computer (6 feet away) and store programs on
    > the computer's hard drive? then maybe burn a DVD?

    If the feature is unlocked on your pvr, you can attach a external SATA drive
    and use it as hd recorder. Then, again if you are lucky and the format of
    the recordings are recognizeable by your pc software, take the external
    SATA drive to your computer (you may need a controller card) and
    decode/burn to dvd.

    Walter Mautner, Jul 4, 2006
  4. "dr-art" <> wrote in message
    > My DVR from my cable company ( Cox Communications provided Scientific
    > Atlantic Explorer 8300 DVR) has the ability to record onto VHS, but I
    > want to record onto DVD. The DVR has a SATA port on the back. Is there
    > a wayto connect that to my computer (6 feet away) and store programs on
    > the computer's hard drive? then maybe burn a DVD?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Your DVR is a HDTV unit, and your cable supplier has enabled
    HDCP encryption, the sata interface will only function as an
    expansion bay for authorized hard drives - from cox!
    The HDCP encryption will not allow transfer of encrypted data
    to your PC.
    http://www.scientificatlanta.com/consumers_new/CableBoxes/8300hd.htm
    http://www.cox.com/digitalcable/dvr/

    Office Junior, Jul 4, 2006
  5. dr-art

    dr-art Guest

    Is this also the case with the non-HDTV DVR?
    My model is www.scientificatlanta.com/consumers_new/CableBoxes/8300.htm

    dr-art, Jul 4, 2006
  6. dr-art

    dr-art Guest

    I suppose I could run an S-Video cable from the DVR to my computer's
    ATI All In Wonder card, eh? Then record onto the computer's hard
    drive. If so, that sounds like a most-workable plan.

    Thanks.

    dr-art, Jul 4, 2006
  7. dr-art

    dr-art, Jul 4, 2006
  8. dr-art

    Alan Guest

    dr-art wrote:
    > Is this also the case with the non-HDTV DVR?
    > My model is www.scientificatlanta.com/consumers_new/CableBoxes/8300.htm
    >

    > Office Junior wrote:
    >> "dr-art" <> wrote in message
    >>> My DVR from my cable company ( Cox Communications provided Scientific
    >>> Atlantic Explorer 8300 DVR) has the ability to record onto VHS, but I
    >>> want to record onto DVD. The DVR has a SATA port on the back. Is there
    >>> a wayto connect that to my computer (6 feet away) and store programs on
    >>> the computer's hard drive? then maybe burn a DVD?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Your DVR is a HDTV unit, and your cable supplier has enabled
    >> HDCP encryption, the sata interface will only function as an
    >> expansion bay for authorized hard drives - from cox!
    >> The HDCP encryption will not allow transfer of encrypted data
    >> to your PC.
    >> http://www.scientificatlanta.com/consumers_new/CableBoxes/8300hd.htm
    >> http://www.cox.com/digitalcable/dvr/

    I'd look at AVSForums.com for the advice. They will be able to help you
    determine what ports are activated on the box and Someone with a
    similiar setup is likely to have tried to record to DVD as well...

    Alan, Jul 4, 2006
  9. dr-art

    dr-art Guest

    Thanks, Alan. I will try there.