    be snapped together somehow.

    Tia.

    B~

    B. Peg, Feb 21, 2005

  2. B. Peg

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "B. Peg" <> wrote in message
    news:datSd.256822$...
    > Brand new polarizer spins way too easily in it's mount. It is used on a
    > movie camera and it slowly revolves while shooting and the outcome is
    > getting annoying real quick.
    >
    > Short of using a rubber band to hold it still, has anyone ever pulled the
    > rings apart and put some thicker silicon grease on them so it would work
    > smoother? If so, how did you separate them?
    >
    > I got the glass and retaining ring out but the thing (Hoyo brand) appears
    > to be snapped together somehow.
    >
    > Tia.
    >
    > B~

    You don't want grease anywhere near your lenses.

    Jim Waggener, Feb 21, 2005

  3. B. Peg

    Guest

    Seconded. There are `non-creep` greases, but even so... Plus, as you
    have discovered, I think you will find it very hard to get apart.
    Frankly, I can't see why it would revolve unless your camera is
    vibrating, which can't be good for image quality...

    I would just cut off a piece of a good quality removable-adhesive
    label, and stick that on the side.

    , Feb 21, 2005
  4. B. Peg

    Gaderian Guest

    B. Peg wrote:
    > Brand new polarizer spins way too easily in it's mount. It is used
    > on a movie camera and it slowly revolves while shooting and the
    > outcome is getting annoying real quick.
    >
    > Short of using a rubber band to hold it still, has anyone ever pulled
    > the rings apart and put some thicker silicon grease on them so it
    > would work smoother? If so, how did you separate them?
    >
    > I got the glass and retaining ring out but the thing (Hoyo brand)
    > appears to be snapped together somehow.

    If it's brand new I'd return it for a new one. If it's not working now you
    might as well get a new one that works and save you all of the bother.

    Gaderian, Feb 22, 2005
  5. B. Peg

    B. Peg Guest

    Thanks anyway. I figured it out under a magnifying hood. The front ring
    that revolves is bent over (beveled) slightly over the rear piece (rolled
    edge or swaged fit??).

    I soaked the thing in silicon oil, found a large socket that just about
    doesn't go through the rings with the glass filter out, sat it on a hardwood
    block, and smacked it with a hammer from the backside. The thing now
    revolves as it should. It was way too loose from the factory and maybe had
    a 0.050" amount of looseness in the front (I could easily stick my
    fingernails in between them. The glass filter itself was loose as well and
    wasn't aligned with the "Sun Dot." It was a rattle trap in two places and
    the revolving polarizer filter glass was making another issue in itself
    (thanks to black silicon it won't do that again!).

    All washed it up with Simple Green and it is better than new, and I don't
    have to Mickey Mouse the thing anymore -- I hope.

    B~

    B. Peg, Feb 22, 2005
  6. B. Peg

    Guest

    I know you said you washed it all up, but be *very* careful with
    silicon compounds as they are notorious for going places you don't want
    them to, and if it gets on/under coatings or between elements of a
    lens...

    , Feb 22, 2005
  7. B. Peg

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:20:18 GMT, "B. Peg" <> wrote:

    > Thanks anyway. I figured it out under a magnifying hood. The front ring
    > that revolves is bent over (beveled) slightly over the rear piece (rolled
    > edge or swaged fit??).
    >
    > I soaked the thing in silicon oil, found a large socket that just about
    > doesn't go through the rings with the glass filter out, sat it on a hardwood
    > block, and smacked it with a hammer from the backside. The thing now
    > revolves as it should. It was way too loose from the factory and maybe had
    > a 0.050" amount of looseness in the front (I could easily stick my
    > fingernails in between them. The glass filter itself was loose as well and
    > wasn't aligned with the "Sun Dot." It was a rattle trap in two places and
    > the revolving polarizer filter glass was making another issue in itself
    > (thanks to black silicon it won't do that again!).
    >
    > All washed it up with Simple Green and it is better than new, and I don't
    > have to Mickey Mouse the thing anymore -- I hope.

    Might I ask what brand the polarizer is?

    Just so I stay clear of that brand!

    Ken Oaf, Feb 22, 2005
  8. B. Peg

    dylan Guest

    > Might I ask what brand the polarizer is?
    >
    > Just so I stay clear of that brand!

    Might I ask what brand and size the hammer was?

    Just in case I ever need some minor adjustment of my photographic equipment
    :eek:)

    dylan, Feb 22, 2005
  9. B. Peg

    Owamanga Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:21:54 -0000, "dylan" <> wrote:

    >> Might I ask what brand the polarizer is?
    >>
    >> Just so I stay clear of that brand!
    >>

    >Might I ask what brand and size the hammer was?

    A Nikon F5.

    >Just in case I ever need some minor adjustment of my photographic equipment
    >:eek:)

    <g>

    --
    Owamanga!

    Owamanga, Feb 22, 2005
  10. B. Peg

    Chip Gallo Guest

    Gaderian wrote:
    > B. Peg wrote:
    >
    >>Brand new polarizer spins way too easily in it's mount. It is used
    >>on a movie camera and it slowly revolves while shooting and the
    >>outcome is getting annoying real quick.
    >>
    >>Short of using a rubber band to hold it still, has anyone ever pulled
    >>the rings apart and put some thicker silicon grease on them so it
    >>would work smoother? If so, how did you separate them?
    >>
    >>I got the glass and retaining ring out but the thing (Hoyo brand)
    >>appears to be snapped together somehow.

    > If it's brand new I'd return it for a new one. If it's not working now you
    > might as well get a new one that works and save you all of the bother.

    My buddies over at Penn Camera (right across from the FBI building in
    DC) steered me away from a $45 polarizer due to fit 'n finish. The price
    difference wasn't too much in a 67mm but it feels tighter.

    http://www.penncamera.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=5911

    Chip Gallo
    www.chipster.biz

    Chip Gallo, Feb 22, 2005