    I don't know how to open it.

    It's an all black plastic case. no screws that i can see.

    Any clues?

    Paul in Australia, Feb 5, 2006

  2. Paul in Australia

    Adam Leinss Guest

    "Paul in Australia" <> wrote in news:43e62075$0
    $28715$:

    > I've got an IBM Aptiva here only trouble is...
    >
    > I don't know how to open it.
    >
    > It's an all black plastic case. no screws that i can see.
    >
    > Any clues?

    On most Aptivas there is a release level under the front bezel. Try
    sticking your fingers under the bezel and pull it toward yourself.

    Adam
    --
    Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

    Adam Leinss, Feb 5, 2006

  3. "Adam Leinss" <> wrote in message
    > "Paul in Australia" <> wrote in news:43e62075$0
    > $28715$:
    >
    > > I've got an IBM Aptiva here only trouble is...
    > >
    > > I don't know how to open it.
    > >
    > > It's an all black plastic case. no screws that i can see.
    > >
    > > Any clues?

    > On most Aptivas there is a release level under the front bezel. Try
    > sticking your fingers under the bezel and pull it toward yourself.
    >
    > Adam
    > --
    > Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

    Got any more info? I can't figure it out.
    Where exactly do you mean and what exactly am I looking for?

    Paul in Australia, Feb 5, 2006
  4. Paul in Australia

    smackedass Guest

    smackedass, Feb 5, 2006
  5. "smackedass" <> wrote in message

    > > Got any more info? I can't figure it out.
    > > Where exactly do you mean and what exactly am I looking for?

    > When in doubt, Google

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndo
    cid=MIGR-4HDMCV

    **** me how did you find that?

    what exactly did you google to get that page?

    Paul in Australia, Feb 5, 2006
  6. "Paul in Australia" <> wrote in message

    > "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > Got any more info? I can't figure it out.
    > > > Where exactly do you mean and what exactly am I looking for?

    > > When in doubt, Google

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndo
    > cid=MIGR-4HDMCV
    > >

    > **** me how did you find that?
    >
    > what exactly did you google to get that page?

    or ignore me. either way. suit yourself

    Paul in Australia, Feb 5, 2006
  7. Paul in Australia

    smackedass Guest

    >> **** me how did you find that?
    >>
    >> what exactly did you google to get that page?
    >>

    > or ignore me. either way. suit yourself

    Ignore you, why would I do that?

    This is what I Googled:

    A-P-T-I-V-A

    This was, I believe, the third result, and the exact model numbers may or
    may not be the same ones that you're looking for.

    Don't sweat it, dude, I've been there. Let me know how you make out!

    smackedass

    smackedass, Feb 5, 2006
  8. >>On most Aptivas there is a release level under the front bezel. Try
    >>sticking your fingers under the bezel and pull it toward yourself.

    >>Adam

    > This is what I Googled:
    >
    > A-P-T-I-V-A
    >
    > This was, I believe, the third result, and the exact model numbers may or
    > may not be the same ones that you're looking for.
    >
    > Don't sweat it, dude, I've been there. Let me know how you make out!
    >
    > smackedass

    Well I tried "Aptiva" and after 10 pages of results, I still didn't find the
    page you found.

    I was trying "opening ibm lq6" and getting nowhere. Being too specific i
    guess.

    The IBM site seams to have forgotten they ever made an LQ6, so that was
    useless.

    That's why I tried here.

    I found something that looked vaguely like this model and it gave me the
    clue i needed.

    No "level under the bezel" though. Just a hidden button on the side of the
    case.

    Funny thing is there's a Hard Drive dangling around the inside of the
    machine. Not screwed in at all. Bashing up against the Motherboard and the
    side of the case.

    This could be a fun job.

    Paul in Australia, Feb 5, 2006
  9. Paul in Australia

    smackedass Guest

    > Funny thing is there's a Hard Drive dangling around the inside of the
    > machine. Not screwed in at all. Bashing up against the Motherboard and the
    > side of the case.
    >
    > This could be a fun job.

    So you got it open, and found that it's already been worked upon by an
    incompetent technician. You'll have that...

    Best wishes...and now a little bit about Boolean searching...

    http://library.albany.edu/internet/boolean.html

    smackedass

    smackedass, Feb 5, 2006
  10. Paul in Australia

    Glenn Guest

    when searching for an IBM or now Lenxo machine use the 4 digit machine
    type (8311). Aptiva is a family, not a specific computer. If you want
    to narrow the search use the type and model (83114DU).

    Glenn, Feb 6, 2006

  11. > >>

    > >Golly, is this on the A+ syllabus now?

    > Gee whiz, I hope not!!!
    >
    > You have a few options for opening that case. One being, a hack saw.
    > The other two are probably better.
    >
    > This was taken from a 1999 forum post.
    > A) Put it on it's back, with the backpanel facing the ground. Take the
    > handle and pull up while somehow holding the non-black part down.
    >
    > B) Hold the backpanel by the little indentation and pull on the
    > handle.
    >
    > The whole thing is supposed to come off, side/top/bezel, in 1 piece.
    > Do look how it fits on the 'railing' before though (underside of the
    > case) as you can mess up when putting it back, and it can become stuck
    > that way. Well, stuck enough to require a screwdriver to pry it open.

    Hacksaw worked great. Thanks!

    Paul in Australia, Mar 8, 2006