How do you like your DVDS? Rare?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050724/ENTERTAINMENT0310/50722009/1015

    How do you like your DVDS? Rare?

    Did you know there was once a TV series that starred Jack Black as a
    super-intelligent former astronaut, Owen Wilson as the voice of his
    motorcycle and Ron Silver as a villainous version of himself? Did you
    know it was created by Ben Stiller? It’s true.

    Well, almost true. “Heat Vision and Jack” wasn’t really a TV series.
    It was only a pilot that never got picked up by the programming
    geniuses at Fox. But that pilot, which never aired, is very funny —
    one of the most imaginative comedies I’ve seen in years.

    And now, loyal readers, I’m going to tell you how to get your own
    copy. But to do so, we’re going to have to descend into the twilight
    world of bootleg video.

    Even with the entire Internet at your fingertips, there are certain
    DVDs just you can’t acquire through normal channels. You can get out
    of print discs on eBay, foreign discs (assuming your player can play
    them) at several sites, and all the normal stuff on Amazon or Netflix.

    But just try finding a copy of Otto Preminger’s 1968 psychedelic
    comedy “Skidoo.” Or 1980’s “The Gong Show Movie.” Or “Shock
    Treatment,” the 1981 sequel to “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”
    (Didn’t even know there was a sequel, did you?)

    Or “Heat Vision and Jack.” After all, it was just a half-hour pilot
    that never aired. Who in the heck is going to sell something like
    that?
    The fine folks at www.superhappyfun.com, that’s who.

    SuperHappyfun.com, like several Web sites, deals in DVDs that have
    never been commercially released. Maybe, like “Heat Vision and Jack,”
    it’s a TV show that didn’t air. Maybe, like “Hellzapoppin’,” it’s an
    old movie no one has bothered to release. Or maybe, like “The Gong
    Show Movie,” it’s a a movie so bad no one wants to own up to it.

    Whatever the reason, they’re out there. And, with a little Web
    surfing, you can add them to your collection.

    Right about now, you’re wondering, is this legal? Short answer?
    Probably.

    These sites operate on a part of U.S. Copyright law known as “The
    Berne Act,” which says that “films unreleased in the United States,
    including original version of films altered and/or edited for release
    in the United States, are not protected by American copyright; thus,
    they are considered public domain.” These companies stress that
    they’re only selling to collectors (not dealers or exhibitors) and “no
    rights are given or implied.”

    Will it hold up in court? What am I, a lawyer? All I know is that
    www.superhappyfun.com and similar sites have been around for years,
    and I’ve never heard of one facing any legal problems. I realize that
    argument won’t hold up in court, but it’s the best I can do.

    There are dozens of these sites on the Web, but I’ve only ordered from
    two, so those are the only ones I can vouch for personally:
    www.superhappyfun.com (“Hellzapoppin” and “Heat Vision and Jack”) and
    www.5minutestolive.com (“Skidoo” and “The Gong Show Movie”).

    Both offered prompt, professional service and quality video transfers.
    Each site has a lot of strange, obscure stuff, so check them out for
    yourselves. You might find a movie you’ve been wanting all your life.
    Or you might find “Skidoo.”

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jul 26, 2005

  2. Allan

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in
    message news:
    > The fine folks at www.superhappyfun.com, that's who.

    The site doesn't work at all if, like me, you have javascript turned
    off.

    > www.5minutestolive.com ("Skidoo" and "The Gong Show Movie").

    Found a movie on this site; "The Panic in Needle Park" I'd like to have,
    but they can't claim this one is exempt from copyright law. It was
    released to theatres, it has been released on VHS in the US as well as
    DVD in Britian and elsewhere already and according to Amazon it's going
    to be released in the US in October at $11.23.
    --
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    FAQmeister, Jul 26, 2005

  3. Allan

    Billy Joe Guest

    > "Allan" <>
    > wrote in message
    >> The fine folks at www.superhappyfun.com, that's who.

    > The site doesn't work at all if, like me, you have javascript
    > turned off.

    Well, a bland orange block with a brown border isn't all that bad, for the
    price;-0)

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Jul 27, 2005
  4. Allan

    David Z Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050724/ENTERTAINMENT0310/50722009/1015
    >
    > How do you like your DVDS? Rare?
    >
    > Did you know there was once a TV series that starred Jack Black as a
    > super-intelligent former astronaut, Owen Wilson as the voice of his
    > motorcycle and Ron Silver as a villainous version of himself? Did you
    > know it was created by Ben Stiller? It's true.
    >
    > Well, almost true. "Heat Vision and Jack" wasn't really a TV series.
    > It was only a pilot that never got picked up by the programming
    > geniuses at Fox. But that pilot, which never aired, is very funny -
    > one of the most imaginative comedies I've seen in years.
    >
    > And now, loyal readers, I'm going to tell you how to get your own
    > copy. But to do so, we're going to have to descend into the twilight
    > world of bootleg video.
    >
    > Even with the entire Internet at your fingertips, there are certain
    > DVDs just you can't acquire through normal channels. You can get out
    > of print discs on eBay, foreign discs (assuming your player can play
    > them) at several sites, and all the normal stuff on Amazon or Netflix.
    >
    > But just try finding a copy of Otto Preminger's 1968 psychedelic
    > comedy "Skidoo." Or 1980's "The Gong Show Movie." Or "Shock
    > Treatment," the 1981 sequel to "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."
    > (Didn't even know there was a sequel, did you?)

    Yes, I did, Shock Treatment was on TV a few weeks ago.

    David Z, Jul 27, 2005
  5. Allan

    Mr. Moe Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:19:05 GMT, "David Z" <> wrote:

    >"Allan" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050724/ENTERTAINMENT0310/50722009/1015
    >>
    >> How do you like your DVDS? Rare?
    >>
    >> Did you know there was once a TV series that starred Jack Black as a
    >> super-intelligent former astronaut, Owen Wilson as the voice of his
    >> motorcycle and Ron Silver as a villainous version of himself? Did you
    >> know it was created by Ben Stiller? It's true.
    >>
    >> Well, almost true. "Heat Vision and Jack" wasn't really a TV series.
    >> It was only a pilot that never got picked up by the programming
    >> geniuses at Fox. But that pilot, which never aired, is very funny -
    >> one of the most imaginative comedies I've seen in years.
    >>
    >> And now, loyal readers, I'm going to tell you how to get your own
    >> copy. But to do so, we're going to have to descend into the twilight
    >> world of bootleg video.
    >>
    >> Even with the entire Internet at your fingertips, there are certain
    >> DVDs just you can't acquire through normal channels. You can get out
    >> of print discs on eBay, foreign discs (assuming your player can play
    >> them) at several sites, and all the normal stuff on Amazon or Netflix.
    >>
    >> But just try finding a copy of Otto Preminger's 1968 psychedelic
    >> comedy "Skidoo." Or 1980's "The Gong Show Movie." Or "Shock
    >> Treatment," the 1981 sequel to "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."
    >> (Didn't even know there was a sequel, did you?)

    >Yes, I did, Shock Treatment was on TV a few weeks ago.

    Yep, I did too.

    Mr. Moe, Jul 27, 2005
  6. Allan

    lugnut Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:37:13 GMT, Mr. Moe <> wrote:

    >>>" Or "Shock
    >>> Treatment," the 1981 sequel to "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."
    >>> (Didn't even know there was a sequel, did you?)

    >>Yes, I did, Shock Treatment was on TV a few weeks ago.
    >>

    >Yep, I did too.

    I've only seen it once on a beat-up VHS several years ago, but man,
    talk about your all-time lackluster follow-ups...

    -lugnut

    lugnut, Jul 27, 2005
  7. Allan

    Stan Brown Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:15:31 -0400, Allan
    <> wrote:

    >But just try finding a copy of Otto Preminger’s 1968 psychedelic
    >comedy “Skidoo.” Or 1980’s “The Gong Show Movie.” Or “Shock
    >Treatment,” the 1981 sequel to “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”
    >(Didn’t even know there was a sequel, did you?)

    Or genuine classics (of their time) like /The Boys in the Band/ or
    /Song of the South/.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Jul 27, 2005