    o Prints?

    Do digital projector and HD TV give enough resolution?

    KS
    King Sardon, Feb 6, 2007

  2. King Sardon wrote:
    > How do you guys view your digital photos?
    >
    > Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    > show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.
    >
    > o Digital projector?
    > o HD TV?
    > o Prints?

    Computer monitor. Most often on other peoples' monitors when I'm
    visiting. I keep them on my web site.

    > Do digital projector and HD TV give enough resolution?

    Yes. Well, a 1080p monitor gives more pixels than I normally put in my
    web versions of the photos. "Enough" is kind of a subjective concept.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 7, 2007

  3. King Sardon

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:53:54 +0000, King Sardon wrote:

    > How do you guys view your digital photos?
    >
    > Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    > show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.
    >
    > o Digital projector?
    > o HD TV?
    > o Prints?
    >
    > Do digital projector and HD TV give enough resolution?
    >
    > KS

    Just got my wife a 'digital picture frame' for Christmas - that's fairly
    cool. I print a few now and again, and post some on my web site.
    ray, Feb 7, 2007
  4. King Sardon

    KenJr Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > How do you guys view your digital photos?
    >
    > Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    > show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.
    >
    > o Digital projector?
    > o HD TV?
    > o Prints?

    A portable digital photo viewer. It also hooks up to your TV to display
    pictures on the screen.

    My wife got this for me for my birthday. It is the Photoco PhotoShare7
    with optional lithium ion mattery.

    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/KennyJr/IMGP2687.jpg
    KenJr, Feb 7, 2007
  5. King Sardon

    Ron Hunter Guest

    King Sardon wrote:
    > How do you guys view your digital photos?
    >
    > Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    > show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.
    >
    > o Digital projector?
    > o HD TV?
    > o Prints?
    >
    > Do digital projector and HD TV give enough resolution?
    >
    > KS

    I use my laptop. TV just doesn't come close.
    Ron Hunter, Feb 7, 2007
  6. King Sardon

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:53:54 GMT, King Sardon <>
    wrote:

    >How do you guys view your digital photos?
    >
    >Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    >show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.
    >
    >o Digital projector?
    >o HD TV?
    >o Prints?
    >
    >Do digital projector and HD TV give enough resolution?

    A good projector or HDTV should be fine unless you're doing something
    specialized. You can get 1600x1200 projectors for 50 grand or so, or
    there's a 2048x1536 model availble for a quarter mil.
    J. Clarke, Feb 7, 2007
  7. King Sardon

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:37:20 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >King Sardon wrote:
    >> How do you guys view your digital photos?
    >>
    >> Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    >> show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.
    >>
    >> o Digital projector?
    >> o HD TV?
    >> o Prints?
    >>
    >> Do digital projector and HD TV give enough resolution?
    >>
    >> KS
    >>

    >I use my laptop. TV just doesn't come close.

    Uh, HDTV isn't "TV". A good one will have higher resolution than most
    laptops.
    J. Clarke, Feb 7, 2007
  8. King Sardon

    Bucky Guest

    > Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    > show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.

    Any of them are fine. Even a NTSC TV is fine for showing photos
    (although not for text on the computer).

    How many people are you showing it to though? I think it basically
    comes down to the size of the image, resolution doesn't matter that
    much for photos. So projector would be best.
    Bucky, Feb 7, 2007
  9. King Sardon

    Bob Williams Guest

    King Sardon wrote:
    > How do you guys view your digital photos?
    >
    > Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    > show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.
    >
    > o Digital projector?
    > o HD TV?
    > o Prints?
    >
    > Do digital projector and HD TV give enough resolution?
    >
    > KS

    It is interesting to note how few people PRINT their images.
    If people are primarily going to view their work on a TV, HD TV,
    Laptops, Portable viewers, Desktop monitors or even 4x6 prints, why on
    earth do they buy 6-8+ MP cameras.
    The finest resolution HD TVs and Desktop Monitors top out at 2 MP.
    If camera manufacturers realize this, they should concentrate on making
    a killer 3-4 MP camera (to allow ample cropping) with great glass and a
    5 micron pixel pitch rather than accellerating this crazy MP race with
    1/2.7" sensors.

    For my top 10% of my keepers, I am primarily an 8x10 person. For my top
    1%, I go 11x14
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Feb 7, 2007
  10. King Sardon

    Ron Hunter Guest

    J. Clarke wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:37:20 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> King Sardon wrote:
    >>> How do you guys view your digital photos?
    >>>
    >>> Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    >>> show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.
    >>>
    >>> o Digital projector?
    >>> o HD TV?
    >>> o Prints?
    >>>
    >>> Do digital projector and HD TV give enough resolution?
    >>>
    >>> KS
    >>>

    >> I use my laptop. TV just doesn't come close.

    > Uh, HDTV isn't "TV". A good one will have higher resolution than most
    > laptops.

    Yes, BUT, the display spreads the image across a much larger area
    resulting in a picture which doesn't look as good, and the aspect ratio
    of the widescreen (16:9) is much different from the usual 4:3 or 3:2.
    The results in a display that is either distorted, or doesn't use all
    the display's available pixels.
    A plasma monitor with 1080i will probably look pretty good, but a
    standard analog display TV looks terrible for displaying static images,
    and the image resolution is terrible.
    Ron Hunter, Feb 7, 2007
  11. King Sardon

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:

    > King Sardon wrote:
    >> How do you guys view your digital photos?
    >> Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    >> show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.
    >> o Digital projector?
    >> o HD TV? o Prints?
    >> Do digital projector and HD TV give enough resolution?
    >> KS
    >>

    > It is interesting to note how few people PRINT their images.
    > If people are primarily going to view their work on a TV, HD TV,
    > Laptops, Portable viewers, Desktop monitors or even 4x6 prints, why on
    > earth do they buy 6-8+ MP cameras.
    > The finest resolution HD TVs and Desktop Monitors top out at 2 MP.
    > If camera manufacturers realize this, they should concentrate on making
    > a killer 3-4 MP camera (to allow ample cropping) with great glass and a
    > 5 micron pixel pitch rather than accellerating this crazy MP race with
    > 1/2.7" sensors.
    >
    > For my top 10% of my keepers, I am primarily an 8x10 person. For my top
    > 1%, I go 11x14
    > Bob Williams

    I rarely print an image. The only reason I do so is if someone requests
    a print. More pixels is usually a waste of money, but I find the extra
    pixels to be quite valuable when I go to cropping.
    Ron Hunter, Feb 7, 2007
  12. Ron Hunter wrote:
    > King Sardon wrote:
    >> How do you guys view your digital photos?
    >>
    >> Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    >> show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.
    >>
    >> o Digital projector?
    >> o HD TV?
    >> o Prints?
    >>
    >> Do digital projector and HD TV give enough resolution?
    >>
    >> KS
    >>

    > I use my laptop. TV just doesn't come close.

    A modern LCD widescreen TV may be 1366 x 768 pixels, and provide quite a
    good viewing experience. Worth a try, and easier for group viewing than a
    laptop.

    We also use an Epson P-2000 for just one or two folk sitting together.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 7, 2007
  13. >>How do you guys view your digital photos?

    >>Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    >>show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.
    >>
    >>o Digital projector?
    >>o HD TV?
    >>o Prints?
    >>
    >>Do digital projector and HD TV give enough resolution?
    >>
    >>KS

    If I'm visiting someone who I know is going to be interested I'll take my
    laptop. I'm sure the purists will throw up their arms in horror and say a
    laptop screen image is rubbish but "enough resolution" is rather a
    subjective thing. I'm usually only showing holiday snaps or family photos,
    not trying to win any awards. A laptop screen image, to my mind, is more
    than a match for a 6x4 print. The only disadvantage is the audience is
    limited to one or two people at a time because of the limited screen viewing
    angle so folks just have to take turns.

    I also tend to carry my latest pictures around on a memory stick on my key
    ring so I can easily give out copies, or show them on a friend's computer,
    if I don't happen to have my laptop with me.

    I tend only use a TV when staying in hotels and the like. There's a group
    of us who frequently go on short walking breaks and we'll often gather round
    the TV in someone's hotel room in the evening to view the day's pictures.
    Hotel TVs tend to be decidedly Low D but it's horses for courses.

    In the longer term, once the holiday or family occasion is no longer the
    latest news, I'll print a selection of the best ones and store them in the
    family album.

    From another KS
    Keith.
    Keith Sheppard, Feb 7, 2007
  14. >>Uh, HDTV isn't "TV". A good one will have higher
    >>resolution than most laptops.

    I obviously mix in different circles from the rest of you guys. I don't
    actually know anyone who owns an HDTV and I've certainly no intention of
    buying one myself in the foreseeable future.

    It seems a rather expensive investment for showing your photos when there
    are other options available. As for the TV side of things I've never felt
    dissatisfied with the picture on my current equipment - that's on those rare
    occasions when the TV broadcasters actually put out something that's worth
    watching in the first place.

    I think we are becoming terribly fussy these days. When I was a child we
    were more than happy to watch a 405 line monochrome telly. When colour
    finally came along it was truly amazing. Digital TV gave us wide screen as
    the norm and suddenly we realised that you didn't have to watch stuff
    through a snow storm. Yet still we aren't satisfied. We have to have high
    definition TV. What are we going to lust after when that becomes last
    year's toy?

    I might be a little more enthusiastic over all this burgeoning technology if
    I didn't have the distinct feeling that all the while the quality of the
    programmes (on an ever increasing number of channels) has been steadily
    declining. I often look through the Radio Times of an evening and fail to
    discover one single program across the whole of the Freeview network that is
    of even the slightest interest. I then go on to check what I would be able
    to watch if I had Sky only to discover the answer is still zilch. At least
    I can then feel satisfied that I've not wasted my money on a subscription
    service.

    Thank heavens for PVRs (yes, I know, yet more technology but at least that
    bit does something useful). Mind you, the backlog of programmes on my hard
    disk seems to be going down at the moment because there's not much worth
    recording. If this carries on, I might be forced to remember how to read!

    Keith
    Keith Sheppard, Feb 7, 2007
  15. >>It is interesting to note how few people PRINT their images.
    I always print a selection for long term use. OK, I also archive to DVD.
    That's useful to have when you want to look at something in particular. For
    just browsing, though, it's still easier to pull some albums of the shelf
    and leaf through them than to power up the computer and keep changing disks
    to browse through the years.

    Keith
    Keith Sheppard, Feb 7, 2007
  16. King Sardon wrote:
    > How do you guys view your digital photos?
    >
    > Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    > show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.
    >
    > o Digital projector?
    > o HD TV?
    > o Prints?
    >
    > Do digital projector and HD TV give enough resolution?
    >
    > KS

    My TV/DVD player has a facility for showing Jpegs on a Cd-Rom. I usually
    copy the files to a CD and use this facility. Not perfect, but more than
    adequate for showing friends and neighbours your stuff.

    Dennis.
    Dennis Pogson, Feb 7, 2007
  17. King Sardon

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 03:24:40 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >J. Clarke wrote:
    >> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:37:20 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> I use my laptop. TV just doesn't come close.

    >> Uh, HDTV isn't "TV". A good one will have higher resolution than most
    >> laptops.

    >Yes, BUT, the display spreads the image across a much larger area
    >resulting in a picture which doesn't look as good,

    If the apparent image size is the same then it looks as good. He's
    talking about showing to a group, which isn't going to be two inches
    from the screen.

    >and the aspect ratio
    >of the widescreen (16:9) is much different from the usual 4:3 or 3:2.

    Vertical res is still higher than a 1280x1024 monitor.

    >The results in a display that is either distorted, or doesn't use all
    >the display's available pixels.

    And not using all the available pixels is a problem because?

    >A plasma monitor with 1080i will probably look pretty good, but a
    >standard analog display TV looks terrible for displaying static images,
    >and the image resolution is terrible.

    And where can one buy a "standard analog display TV" that is capable
    of 1080i? Not of accepting the signal and transcoding it to standard
    definition but one which can really display 1080?

    You've never actually seen an HDTV, have you?
    J. Clarke, Feb 7, 2007
  18. King Sardon

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 11:28:17 GMT, "Keith Sheppard"
    <> wrote:

    >>>Uh, HDTV isn't "TV". A good one will have higher
    >>>resolution than most laptops.

    >I obviously mix in different circles from the rest of you guys. I don't
    >actually know anyone who owns an HDTV and I've certainly no intention of
    >buying one myself in the foreseeable future.

    Friend of mine has a 37 inch that he uses for a computer monitor--his
    eyes are shot and he really needs the large size. The thing is as
    sharp as any I've seen. The only TV that he watches is the news.

    Personally I don't have a 1920x1080 display yet--my 1368x768 projector
    that I used to use in the classroom does a fine job though--one of the
    new 1080 projectors that costs the same should be really, really nice.

    >It seems a rather expensive investment for showing your photos when there
    >are other options available.

    The guy was asking about displaying to a group. I'm assuming that
    he's talking about in a conference room or auditorium, not in his
    living room. What would _you_ use?

    >As for the TV side of things I've never felt
    >dissatisfied with the picture on my current equipment - that's on those rare
    >occasions when the TV broadcasters actually put out something that's worth
    >watching in the first place.

    You've not seen HD then.

    >I think we are becoming terribly fussy these days. When I was a child we
    >were more than happy to watch a 405 line monochrome telly. When colour
    >finally came along it was truly amazing. Digital TV gave us wide screen as
    >the norm and suddenly we realised that you didn't have to watch stuff
    >through a snow storm. Yet still we aren't satisfied. We have to have high
    >definition TV. What are we going to lust after when that becomes last
    >year's toy?

    Uh, nobody I know ever displayed their photos on a TV (well, not
    unless they put them in frames and stood them on top of it). For
    presentations to a group we used slide or overhead projectors. The
    projection monitor is the digital equivalent.

    >I might be a little more enthusiastic over all this burgeoning technology if
    >I didn't have the distinct feeling that all the while the quality of the
    >programmes (on an ever increasing number of channels) has been steadily
    >declining. I often look through the Radio Times of an evening and fail to
    >discover one single program across the whole of the Freeview network that is
    >of even the slightest interest. I then go on to check what I would be able
    >to watch if I had Sky only to discover the answer is still zilch. At least
    >I can then feel satisfied that I've not wasted my money on a subscription
    >service.
    >
    >Thank heavens for PVRs (yes, I know, yet more technology but at least that
    >bit does something useful). Mind you, the backlog of programmes on my hard
    >disk seems to be going down at the moment because there's not much worth
    >recording. If this carries on, I might be forced to remember how to read!

    All of this discussion of TV content is a bit afield--what was under
    discussion was a device for displaying photographs.

    J. Clarke, Feb 7, 2007
  19. King Sardon

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:33:07 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

    >Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> King Sardon wrote:
    >>> How do you guys view your digital photos?
    >>>
    >>> Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    >>> show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.
    >>>
    >>> o Digital projector?
    >>> o HD TV?
    >>> o Prints?
    >>>
    >>> Do digital projector and HD TV give enough resolution?
    >>>
    >>> KS
    >>>

    >> I use my laptop. TV just doesn't come close.

    >A modern LCD widescreen TV may be 1366 x 768 pixels, and provide quite a
    >good viewing experience. Worth a try, and easier for group viewing than a
    >laptop.

    One of the first major successes of the Chinese electronics industry
    was a family of inexpensive 1920x1080 LCD panels. They are used in
    monitors by Westinghouse, Benq, and Sceptre that I can think of off
    the top of my head that can be had for less than most other
    manufacturers' 1366x768 displays.

    J. Clarke, Feb 7, 2007
  20. King Sardon

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 00:41:05 -0800, Bob Williams
    <> wrote:

    >King Sardon wrote:
    >> How do you guys view your digital photos?
    >>
    >> Computer monitor obviously, but I mean after that. Say you want to
    >> show a bunch of people a few dozen shots.
    >>
    >> o Digital projector?
    >> o HD TV?
    >> o Prints?
    >>
    >> Do digital projector and HD TV give enough resolution?
    >>
    >> KS
    >>

    >It is interesting to note how few people PRINT their images.
    >If people are primarily going to view their work on a TV, HD TV,
    >Laptops, Portable viewers, Desktop monitors or even 4x6 prints, why on
    >earth do they buy 6-8+ MP cameras.

    Because (a) we don't always use the whole image and (b) it's always
    nice to have some headroom.

    >The finest resolution HD TVs and Desktop Monitors top out at 2 MP.

    Actually you can get both that go 3 MP. You'll pay but you can get
    them.

    J. Clarke, Feb 7, 2007