    How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM

    I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it doesn't
    have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

    Sam, Nov 5, 2006

  2. Sam

    Mike Easter Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM
    >
    > I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it
    > doesn't have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

    Terminology:

    CD-ROM = cdrom disk which contains the data
    CD-ROM drive = the optical drive which reads the disk, is typically
    built in to a laptop, and/but which may by connected to a computer by
    any one of many interfaces, such as IDE, USB, or even others such as
    firewire, SATA, etc.
    VAIO = Sony sub-brand which now includes laptops, sublaps, desktops,
    etc
    format = [in this context] preparing a hdd medium with an empty file
    system in anticipation of installing an operating system

    Is your statement and question that you have a Sony Vaio laptop which
    has a CD-ROM drive, but you don't have a CD-ROM with an operating system
    and installation capabilities? Or is your question something else?

    Did you purchase this laptop new or used? If so, what cd-rom disks came
    with it? What is its model number?

    Is it your intention to format the laptop's hdd and install a new
    operating system? Which operating system?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 5, 2006

  3. Sam

    philo Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    > How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM
    >
    > I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it doesn't
    > have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

    You DO NOT want to format the drive if you have no cdrom...
    without a cdrom you will have no way to reinstall the operating system!!!!

    philo, Nov 5, 2006
  4. Sam wrote:

    > How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM
    >
    > I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it doesn't
    > have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

    It may be a subnotebook with only external drives, and when the notebook
    got ... erm ... borrowed, someone forgot to take the external cd/dvd drive
    as well? Now, a tough thing to format it for getting rid of traces from the
    previous owner, before putting it on ebay.

    Walter Mautner, Nov 5, 2006
  5. Sam

    MJP Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    > How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM
    >
    > I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it doesn't
    > have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

    Make a bootable USB stick and install DSL, BARTPE or similar.

    MJP

    ..

    MJP, Nov 5, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    "philo" <> wrote:

    > "Sam" <> wrote in message
    > > How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM
    > >
    > > I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it doesn't
    > > have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???
    > >

    > You DO NOT want to format the drive if you have no cdrom...
    > without a cdrom you will have no way to reinstall the operating system!!!!

    There are many ways to install an operating system without a CD-ROM
    drive.

    David Matthew Wood, Nov 5, 2006
  7. Sam

    philo Guest

    > > You DO NOT want to format the drive if you have no cdrom...
    > > without a cdrom you will have no way to reinstall the operating

    system!!!!

    > There are many ways to install an operating system without a CD-ROM
    > drive.

    Yes...
    but the OP probably is not equipped to perform a network install etc

    philo, Nov 5, 2006
  8. Sam

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 19:07:13 -0000, "MJP" <>
    wrote:

    >"Sam" <> wrote in message
    >> How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM
    >>
    >> I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it doesn't
    >> have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

    >Make a bootable USB stick and install DSL, BARTPE or similar.
    >
    >MJP

    Eihter that or get a USB ext CD drive and set the laptop to boot from
    it. Bootable CD with appropriate files reqd.

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Nov 6, 2006
  9. Sam

    DanR Guest

    Gaius Baltar wrote:
    > On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 19:07:13 -0000, "MJP" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> "Sam" <> wrote in message
    >>> How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM
    >>>
    >>> I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it
    >>> doesn't have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

    >> Make a bootable USB stick and install DSL, BARTPE or similar.
    >>
    >> MJP

    > Eihter that or get a USB ext CD drive and set the laptop to boot from
    > it. Bootable CD with appropriate files reqd.
    >
    > gb

    Windows install CD is bootable.

    DanR, Nov 6, 2006