    thnx, hj

    --
    ______________________

    hugh jass, Sep 26, 2003

  2. hugh jass

    °Mike° Guest

    You should have stayed in the same thread.

    You do *not* want that ActiveX control repaired - it's a sex dialer.
    If you check the properties, you will (should) see:
    http://66.230.220.3/dialerhost/download/yCltJYeu/sexsoftware.cab

    Remove it.

    Install HijackThis and post the contents of you log here.
    And if you start another new thread, I will ignore you!

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    Anti-spyware:
    ---------------------
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:49:34 -0400, in
    <G2Mcb.6602$>
    hugh jass scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 26, 2003

  3. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Ok, so I had a bright idea that if I removed this damaged control, then any
    application/site that needed it would download it again in a better state.
    Then I restarted my machine.
    So, now I am back on and the same pages are still not loading (eg.
    theweathernetwork.com when I select a location for detailed weather
    information, nothing loads)
    hj

    --
    ______________________
    "hugh jass" <> wrote in message
    : {2C38A62E-D257-40E8-8BB7-5624E38FEB0A} is the ID of the control and it is
    in
    : my WINNT directory. When i right-click, I can update, delete or get
    : properties.
    : Can anyone tell me how to fix the damage?
    : thnx, hj
    : PS I am trying to fix this as a suggestion from Mike, as I am experiencing
    : some odd behaviour in browsers (page contents not loading properly) and
    : right-click menus.
    : thnx, hj
    :
    : --
    : ______________________
    : please remove the obvious from my email...
    :
    :

    hugh jass, Sep 26, 2003
  4. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    I thought that the previous thread was getting off topic from "antivirus
    software suggestions," therefore the new thread. Apologies if you were
    offended (ahem!).
    Anywho, I will try the HijackThis thingy.
    I do use and did run Ad-Aware a couple of days ago and it quarantined some
    stuff - doesn't that fix it?
    thnx, hj

    --
    ______________________
    : ---------------------
    : Spybot Search & Destroy
    : http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    : http://www.safer-networking.org/
    :
    : Ad-Aware
    : http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    :
    : Spyware Blaster
    : http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
    :
    :
    : http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

    hugh jass, Sep 26, 2003
  5. hugh jass

    JabberSmith Guest

    "hugh jass" <> wrote in message
    > {2C38A62E-D257-40E8-8BB7-5624E38FEB0A} is the ID of the control and it is

    in
    > my WINNT directory. When i right-click, I can update, delete or get
    > properties.
    > Can anyone tell me how to fix the damage?
    > thnx, hj
    > PS I am trying to fix this as a suggestion from Mike, as I am experiencing
    > some odd behaviour in browsers (page contents not loading properly) and
    > right-click menus.
    > thnx, hj
    >
    > --
    > ______________________
    > please remove the obvious from my email...

    You might be able to fix that with an update to IE. Try using windows
    update to see if there is a patch or SP or something for IE available.

    JabberSmith, Sep 26, 2003
  6. hugh jass

    °Mike° Guest

    I was talking about *this* thread being started, when my
    advice about the ActiveX controls was in "ping mike" (in which
    you failed to answer a question I asked, incidentally).

    I just find it extremely irritating when people start new threads
    about the same problem - it only serves to complicated matters.

    SpyBot is *much* better at identifying dialers, and SpywareBlaster
    places 'kill bits' in known ActiveX nasties, so that they will never
    get installed - and no, neither need to be running in the background.

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:35:50 -0400, in
    <4KMcb.6611$>
    hugh jass scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 26, 2003
  7. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Funny, I was using Avant, which is an add-on to IE. It has some extra
    functions and such.
    Anyway, some pages weren't loading and I couldn't open IE. So I tried
    uninstalling Avant and now IE opens and those pages are working!
    I guess Avant was vulnerable to spyware or maybe it was the spyware!
    So long Avant!!
    hj

    --
    ______________________
    "JabberSmith" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "hugh jass" <> wrote in message
    : news:G2Mcb.6602$...
    : > {2C38A62E-D257-40E8-8BB7-5624E38FEB0A} is the ID of the control and it
    is
    : in
    : > my WINNT directory. When i right-click, I can update, delete or get
    : > properties.
    : > Can anyone tell me how to fix the damage?
    : > thnx, hj
    : > PS I am trying to fix this as a suggestion from Mike, as I am
    experiencing
    : > some odd behaviour in browsers (page contents not loading properly) and
    : > right-click menus.
    : > thnx, hj
    : >
    : > --
    : > ______________________

    hugh jass, Sep 26, 2003
  8. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    apologies Mike for not finishing business on the previous post.
    Yes, it seems that my AV query is now complete. I am happy with
    EZAntivirus, though I'm still not sure why it didn't catch nobhfne.exe on
    the first two passes, but did so on it's own later. Thanks for leading me
    to what seems like a good piece of software that won't chew up all my system
    resources and won't cost me an arm and a leg.
    I was also quite impressed with spywareblaster. light on the resources and
    VERY fast!
    thanks again.
    hj

    --