    back into the photo after I convert it to B/W, is there an easier way?
    I use Paint Ship Pro X,

    SK

    Sken, Nov 14, 2005

  2. Sken

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Sken wrote:

    > I've done some of those B/W pics with a colorful dress, or my daughters
    > eyes but I do it by selecting the area, cutting it out and dropping it
    > back into the photo after I convert it to B/W, is there an easier way?
    > I use Paint Ship Pro X,
    >
    > SK

    Lasso the area you want to keep colour then look in the selection
    section (I think) for 'invert' If all your settings are right this
    should reverse the lasso and surround the rest of the picture, making
    that section workable and the originally lassoed one protected. You
    can then remove colour etc from the rest of the image without touching
    the original section.

    --
    Paul (Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me)
    Stop and Look

    Paul Heslop, Nov 14, 2005

  3. Sken

    peter Guest

    "Sken" <> wrote in message
    > I've done some of those B/W pics with a colorful dress, or my daughters
    > eyes but I do it by selecting the area, cutting it out and dropping it
    > back into the photo after I convert it to B/W, is there an easier way? I
    > use Paint Ship Pro X,

    The two ways I know are
    using lasso to select
    painting on a mask

    I usually use selection to get the first draft, then paint/erase on the mask
    to fine tune the result.

    In photoshop, I do something like this:
    select the area I want color
    invert the selection
    create an adjustment layer that turns the selected area to gray (e.g. use
    saturation and turn it down or use channel mixer)
    then use the erase/paint to add/subtract to the color area

    If there is a black/gray/white area between the color and B/W area then the
    selection doesn't have to be exact.

    peter, Nov 14, 2005