    OS windows98 SE.

    Thanks in advance
    Denny B

    Denny B, May 5, 2006

  2. Denny B

    Plato Guest

    Denny B wrote:

    > I am in the process of changing internet service providers
    > and up to now, in fact for the last seven years I have had the
    > same email address which is my first name initial and my full
    > family name. I feel I want to eliminate using my full family name
    > and whatever else I need to do before providing the new internet
    > service provider with a username.
    >
    > What is the way to go when it comes to email address
    > and using your name, is this good or bad. Is it good for
    > the spammers?

    WEll, in general, one can sign up with your personal info. But, one can
    set your email addresses to whatever you want.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 5, 2006

  3. Denny B

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-05-05, Denny B <> wrote:
    > I am in the process of changing internet service providers
    > and up to now, in fact for the last seven years I have had the
    > same email address which is my first name initial and my full
    > family name. I feel I want to eliminate using my full family name
    > and whatever else I need to do before providing the new internet
    > service provider with a username.

    You might want to check with your new ISP regarding how many email accounts
    you can create...You might want one that has your name. You might not want
    to do online business with a strange name.

    > What is the way to go when it comes to email address
    > and using your name, is this good or bad. Is it good for
    > the spammers?

    It all depends on where you end up sending email.

    > OS windows98 SE.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Denny B

    ISPs generally let you create more than one mailbox for a single account. If
    you want to receive email then you simply make a name up for your email
    address and create the mailbox with your ISP...probably through a web
    interface.

    You also don't have to use any valid name for postings to USENET for
    example. And you might want to be clever if you put up a web page- Don't put
    a "mailto" directly on the page in clear text.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_munging
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/munging-address/preamble.html

    --
    Or just be no name like a Clint Eastwood character...

    Jimchip, May 5, 2006
  4. Denny B

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 05:56:23 -0000, Jimchip
    <> wrote:

    >On 2006-05-05, Denny B <> wrote:
    >> I am in the process of changing internet service providers
    >> and up to now, in fact for the last seven years I have had the
    >> same email address which is my first name initial and my full
    >> family name. I feel I want to eliminate using my full family name
    >> and whatever else I need to do before providing the new internet
    >> service provider with a username.

    >You might want to check with your new ISP regarding how many email accounts
    >you can create...You might want one that has your name. You might not want
    >to do online business with a strange name.

    I find a tagged or specific throwaway address a necessity if I'm doing business
    online. That way, if one of those spamtrap addresses starts getting spammed, I
    know right where it came from.

    There are only two businesses online, and one website, that have my private
    address, and that's because I studied their track record before I gave it out.
    They don't spam.

    <snip>

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, May 5, 2006
  5. Denny B

    Lookout Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 07:38:34 -0500, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 05 May 2006 05:56:23 -0000, Jimchip
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2006-05-05, Denny B <> wrote:
    >>> I am in the process of changing internet service providers
    >>> and up to now, in fact for the last seven years I have had the
    >>> same email address which is my first name initial and my full
    >>> family name. I feel I want to eliminate using my full family name
    >>> and whatever else I need to do before providing the new internet
    >>> service provider with a username.

    >>You might want to check with your new ISP regarding how many email accounts
    >>you can create...You might want one that has your name. You might not want
    >>to do online business with a strange name.

    >I find a tagged or specific throwaway address a necessity if I'm doing business
    >online. That way, if one of those spamtrap addresses starts getting spammed, I
    >know right where it came from.
    >
    >There are only two businesses online, and one website, that have my private
    >address, and that's because I studied their track record before I gave it out.
    >They don't spam.

    And if they get hit and all customer info is stolen?

    Lookout, May 5, 2006
  6. Denny B

    Dr. Memory Guest

    On Thu, 4 May 2006 22:49:16 -0600, "Denny B" <>
    wrote:

    >I am in the process of changing internet service providers
    >and up to now, in fact for the last seven years I have had the
    >same email address which is my first name initial and my full
    >family name. I feel I want to eliminate using my full family name
    >and whatever else I need to do before providing the new internet
    >service provider with a username.
    >
    >What is the way to go when it comes to email address
    >and using your name, is this good or bad. Is it good for
    >the spammers?
    >
    >OS windows98 SE.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >Denny B

    If you're really paranoid, have your credit card company send you a
    credit card in another name, then use that card to start your new ISP
    account.
    Note: this method will NOT stop LEO's from knowing your real ID if you
    do illegal stuff online.

    Dr. Memory, May 5, 2006
  7. Denny B

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-05, Denny B <> wrote:
    > I am in the process of changing internet service providers
    > and up to now, in fact for the last seven years I have had the
    > same email address which is my first name initial and my full
    > family name. I feel I want to eliminate using my full family name
    > and whatever else I need to do before providing the new internet
    > service provider with a username.

    Others have suggested some ideas; I'll add a mention of the various free
    and paid-for email services that you can use independently of any ISP. I
    didn't have to use my 'real' name at all when setting up the email address
    I use for newsgroups ;))

    > What is the way to go when it comes to email address
    > and using your name, is this good or bad. Is it good for
    > the spammers?

    It makes no difference to spammers. If you want to block spammers from
    getting into your inbox at all, use an invalid email address for your
    newsgroup posts - eg

    "nicname" <>

    (the .invalid part means that no email service will try to deliver any
    messages sent to that address; even the spammers won't try). Don't just
    invent an email address that looks 'a bit real' - chances are it /is/ real
    or will be someone's real address sooner or later.

    Or use an address that you keep for newsgroups only - you don't have to
    actually read anything sent to that address if you don't want to ;)) (I
    do, if it gets past the spam filters).

    > OS windows98 SE.

    Hmmm. Not relevant to your question, but Microsoft aren't 'supporting'
    that any more, nor making any further 'updates' for it - although you may
    still be able to get updates for more recent programs you have installed.

    > Thanks in advance
    > Denny B

    Have fun :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 5, 2006
  8. Denny B

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-05-05, Lookout <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 May 2006 07:38:34 -0500, Mara
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 05 May 2006 05:56:23 -0000, Jimchip
    >><> wrote:

    >>>You might want to check with your new ISP regarding how many email accounts
    >>>you can create...You might want one that has your name. You might not want
    >>>to do online business with a strange name.

    >>I find a tagged or specific throwaway address a necessity if I'm doing business
    >>online. That way, if one of those spamtrap addresses starts getting spammed, I
    >>know right where it came from.
    >>
    >>There are only two businesses online, and one website, that have my private
    >>address, and that's because I studied their track record before I gave it out.
    >>They don't spam.

    > And if they get hit and all customer info is stolen?

    or if your bank gets robbed or you get your wallet stolen or that sexy
    waitress is copying all the credit card receipts at the restaurant or (this
    just recently happened), a state agency publishes all of your information
    that they have including SS#...

    --
    Or you get a trojan, or ...

    Jimchip, May 5, 2006
  9. Denny B

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 14:52:14 -0000, Jimchip
    <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >or if your bank gets robbed or you get your wallet stolen or that sexy
    >waitress is copying all the credit card receipts at the restaurant or (this
    >just recently happened),

    I don't carry a wallet and don't use CCs. A bank robbery? Never happened in the
    history of the town. I seriously doubt it ever will.

    >a state agency publishes all of your information
    >that they have including SS#...

    Not likely.

    I do my homework. So do they. That's why they have the address.

    FWIW, "Lookout" has been in my bin for quite some time, so why he continues to
    reply to me is anyone's guess - unless, of course, he's just baiting.

    Relevant thread:

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?A2FD1201D

    I think you'll see why.

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?H22E5201D

    "And guess what? "Lookout" had done his very own share of
    swearing, not to mention advocating theft, in this very group."

    "'Nuff said. There sh/h/it sits, and there sh/h/it will stay."

    Mara, May 5, 2006
  10. Denny B

    Lookout Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On 2006-05-05, Lookout <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 05 May 2006 07:38:34 -0500, Mara
    >><> wrote:

    >>>I find a tagged or specific throwaway address a necessity if I'm doing business
    >>>online. That way, if one of those spamtrap addresses starts getting spammed, I
    >>>know right where it came from.
    >>>
    >>>There are only two businesses online, and one website, that have my private
    >>>address, and that's because I studied their track record before I gave it out.
    >>>They don't spam.

    >> And if they get hit and all customer info is stolen?

    >or if your bank gets robbed or you get your wallet stolen or that sexy
    >waitress is copying all the credit card receipts at the restaurant or (this
    >just recently happened), a state agency publishes all of your information
    >that they have including SS#...

    Makes sense to eliminate one.

    Lookout, May 5, 2006
  11. Denny B

    Lookout Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 11:07:05 -0500, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 05 May 2006 14:52:14 -0000, Jimchip
    ><> wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >>or if your bank gets robbed or you get your wallet stolen or that sexy
    >>waitress is copying all the credit card receipts at the restaurant or (this
    >>just recently happened),

    > I don't carry a wallet and don't use CCs. A bank robbery? Never happened in the
    >history of the town. I seriously doubt it ever will.
    >
    >>a state agency publishes all of your information
    >>that they have including SS#...

    >Not likely.
    >
    >I do my homework. So do they. That's why they have the address.
    >
    >FWIW, "Lookout" has been in my bin for quite some time, so why he continues to
    >reply to me is anyone's guess - unless, of course, he's just baiting.
    >
    >Relevant thread:
    >
    >http://makeashorterlink.com/?A2FD1201D
    >
    >I think you'll see why.
    >
    >http://makeashorterlink.com/?H22E5201D
    >
    >"And guess what? "Lookout" had done his very own share of
    >swearing, not to mention advocating theft, in this very group."
    >
    >"'Nuff said. There sh/h/it sits, and there sh/h/it will stay."

    I'm sure that means something to him..whoever he is. But I guess he
    thinks I'm important.

    Lookout, May 5, 2006
  12. Denny B

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-05-05, Mara <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 May 2006 14:52:14 -0000, Jimchip
    ><> wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >>or if your bank gets robbed or you get your wallet stolen or that sexy
    >>waitress is copying all the credit card receipts at the restaurant or (this
    >>just recently happened),

    > I don't carry a wallet and don't use CCs. A bank robbery? Never happened in the
    > history of the town. I seriously doubt it ever will.
    >
    >>a state agency publishes all of your information
    >>that they have including SS#...

    > Not likely.

    It used to be a lot worse:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?X1354211D

    > I do my homework. So do they. That's why they have the address.
    >
    > FWIW, "Lookout" has been in my bin for quite some time, so why he continues to
    > reply to me is anyone's guess - unless, of course, he's just baiting.
    >
    > Relevant thread:
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?A2FD1201D

    °Mike° was in that thread...(I finally got his ears right so it does look
    like him :)

    > I think you'll see why.
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?H22E5201D
    >
    > "And guess what? "Lookout" had done his very own share of
    > swearing, not to mention advocating theft, in this very group."
    >
    > "'Nuff said. There sh/h/it sits, and there sh/h/it will stay."

    It looked like a troll move. My point was that there are zillion other
    things people can worry about besides s/h/it's comment about some web
    hacking.

    --
    I always like it when some big name CC company has to notify clients that
    one of their bozos lost the laptop with 500,000 names, accounts, etc.

    Jimchip, May 6, 2006
  13. Denny B

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 23:03:11 -0000, Jimchip
    <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >It used to be a lot worse:
    >http://makeashorterlink.com/?X1354211D

    Yes, it did. Times change. That's a good thing, I hear.

    >> I do my homework. So do they. That's why they have the address.
    >>
    >> FWIW, "Lookout" has been in my bin for quite some time, so why he continues to
    >> reply to me is anyone's guess - unless, of course, he's just baiting.
    >>
    >> Relevant thread:
    >>
    >> http://makeashorterlink.com/?A2FD1201D

    >°Mike° was in that thread...(I finally got his ears right so it does look
    >like him :)

    Yes, he was. And he was right on the money, too.:)

    >> I think you'll see why.
    >>
    >> http://makeashorterlink.com/?H22E5201D
    >>
    >> "And guess what? "Lookout" had done his very own share of
    >> swearing, not to mention advocating theft, in this very group."
    >>
    >> "'Nuff said. There sh/h/it sits, and there sh/h/it will stay."

    >It looked like a troll move. My point was that there are zillion other
    >things people can worry about besides s/h/it's comment about some web
    >hacking.

    It more than likely was, but no matter. :) I just hope sh/h/it remembers that
    it's supposed to be shiny side *out.*

    http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

    As for the rest, that's "Due Diligence" and "Due Care."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Due_diligence
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?C1962111D

    "I follow those principles as best I can - at work, *and* at home."

    Mara, May 6, 2006