How do you defrag a hard drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SiKing, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. SiKing

    SiKing Guest

    I am having problems with defrag on my compy.

    It's a Win98SE Dell Latitude. When I run defrag, it gets through only
    about 4% of the disk and then complains that there are errors on the drive
    that must be corrected first. Here is what I tried:
    1. Run scandisk in standard mode, as suggested by the attached help file.
    Came up with nothing!
    2. Run scandisk in through mode. Came up also with nothing.
    3. Go through the systems tasks (the Ctrl-Alt-Delete screen) and kill
    everything except Explorer and Systray.
    4. Run Disk Cleanup.
    5. Update my virus patterns and check the entire system for viruses.
    6. Close all windows and reboot. :)
    None of these fixed the problem. Anyone have any other suggestions?

    TIA, SiKing.

    --
    It may be that your sole purpose in life
    is simply to serve as a warning to others.

    SiKing, Aug 17, 2003

  2. SiKing

    Charlie Guest

    Hi,
    Try the defrag in safe mode. All the extra stuff that causes conflicts
    would be turne off. Good luck.

    Charlie

    Charlie, Aug 17, 2003

  3. SiKing

    philo Guest

    SiKing wrote:
    > I am having problems with defrag on my compy.
    >
    > It's a Win98SE Dell Latitude. When I run defrag, it gets through only
    > about 4% of the disk and then complains that there are errors on the drive
    > that must be corrected first. Here is what I tried:
    > 1. Run scandisk in standard mode, as suggested by the attached help file.
    > Came up with nothing!
    > 2. Run scandisk in through mode. Came up also with nothing.
    > 3. Go through the systems tasks (the Ctrl-Alt-Delete screen) and kill
    > everything except Explorer and Systray.
    > 4. Run Disk Cleanup.
    > 5. Update my virus patterns and check the entire system for viruses.
    > 6. Close all windows and reboot. :)
    > None of these fixed the problem. Anyone have any other suggestions?
    >
    > TIA, SiKing.

    other things to try;
    empty your internet cache and tmp files

    or else try running defrag in safe mode

    philo, Aug 17, 2003
  4. SiKing

    °Mike° Guest

    Follow the instruction here:

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:35:35 -0600, in
    <>
    SiKing scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Aug 17, 2003
  5. SiKing

    les.watson Guest

    Use Cont Alt Delete and close all programmes except defrag and Explorer
    "SiKing" <> wrote in message
    > SiKing wrote:
    > >
    > > I am having problems with defrag on my compy.
    > >
    > > It's a Win98SE Dell Latitude. When I run defrag, it gets through only
    > > about 4% of the disk and then complains that there are errors on the

    drive
    > > that must be corrected first. Here is what I tried:
    > > 1. Run scandisk in standard mode, as suggested by the attached help

    file.
    > > Came up with nothing!
    > > 2. Run scandisk in through mode. Came up also with nothing.
    > > 3. Go through the systems tasks (the Ctrl-Alt-Delete screen) and kill
    > > everything except Explorer and Systray.
    > > 4. Run Disk Cleanup.
    > > 5. Update my virus patterns and check the entire system for viruses.
    > > 6. Close all windows and reboot. :)
    > > None of these fixed the problem. Anyone have any other suggestions?
    > >

    > So I have tried the suggestions:
    > 7. 'chkdsk /f' refuses to run insisting that I must use scandisk.
    > 8. Ran defrag in safe mode; still same results.
    > 9. Emptied everything that I could think of (Trash, Internet temp folders,
    > Windows temp files, etc.) same results from defrag.
    > 10. Updated defrag to the 32-bit version, as per Mike's page
    > <http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/defrag.html>; same results.
    > 11. Also ran the manufacturer's diagnostics (as per Dell tech support),

    the

    les.watson, Aug 20, 2003
  6. SiKing

    Boomer Guest

    les.watson said:

    > Use Cont Alt Delete and close all programmes except defrag and
    > Explorer

    It's Explorer and Systray. Also see his item #3.
    He's done that.

    "SiKing" <> wrote in message
    >> SiKing wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I am having problems with defrag on my compy.
    >> >
    >> > It's a Win98SE Dell Latitude. When I run defrag, it gets
    >> > through only about 4% of the disk and then complains that there
    >> > are errors on the

    > drive
    >> > that must be corrected first. Here is what I tried:
    >> > 1. Run scandisk in standard mode, as suggested by the attached
    >> > help

    > file.
    >> > Came up with nothing!
    >> > 2. Run scandisk in through mode. Came up also with nothing.
    >> > 3. Go through the systems tasks (the Ctrl-Alt-Delete screen)
    >> > and kill everything except Explorer and Systray.

    Above.

    Boomer, Aug 20, 2003
  7. SiKing

    Kraftee Guest

    Boomer wrote:
    > les.watson said:
    >
    >> Use Cont Alt Delete and close all programmes except defrag and
    >> Explorer

    > It's Explorer and Systray. Also see his item #3.
    > He's done that.

    Don't need Systray for Defrag to work......
    --
    B-)
    Life is pain.....

    Kraftee, Aug 20, 2003
  8. SiKing

    michaelplaw Guest

    If you want to de-frag your hard drive then I suggest you go here and
    download VOPT for windows.

    http://www.goldenbow.com/index.html

    You can defrag a 10 gigabyte hard drive in about 10 mins whilst you're
    actually in windows. Dead easy to use too.

    michaelplaw, Aug 20, 2003