    I keep getting a window popping up that says my computer is low on
    virtual memory. It has been running slow for quite a while, and I
    don't know how to fix it? Anyone know? TIA
    Russ, Mar 27, 2009

  2. "Russ" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I keep getting a window popping up that says my computer is low on
    > virtual memory. It has been running slow for quite a while, and I
    > don't know how to fix it? Anyone know? TIA

    Generally speaking in order to decrease virtual memory you need to decrease
    available disk space to be used by virtual memory. Usually the fastest and
    easiest way to do that is to set your maximum pagefile size to zero. After
    that you may have to start removing physical memory from the machine.

    Personally, I recommend against decreasing virtual memory -- your computer
    needs it run efficiently.
    J¡m ßéâñ, Mar 27, 2009

  3. Russ

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-03-27, Russ <> wrote:
    > I keep getting a window popping up that says my computer is low on
    > virtual memory. It has been running slow for quite a while, and I
    > don't know how to fix it? Anyone know? TIA

    Your hard disc is probably getting too full for the operating system to
    find enough room for the 'swap space' it needs to run all the programs you
    want to have in use at the same time.

    Do some housekeeping; delete all the files you don't need any more; files
    you want to keep but don't need to got to every day should be moved to
    external media (CDs, DVDs, external hard disc, ...) to free up your
    computer's hard disc. Use the 'system tools' provided with your operating
    system to 'recover disc space' and 'defragment'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 27, 2009
  4. Russ

    1PW Guest

    On 03/26/2009 11:28 PM, Russ sent:
    > I keep getting a window popping up that says my computer is low on
    > virtual memory. It has been running slow for quite a while, and I
    > don't know how to fix it? Anyone know? TIA

    Download, install and run: CCleaner:

    <http://www.ccleaner.com/>

    CCleaner is very reputable. Don't use the registry cleaner unless you
    are an expert.

    Follow with the Windows Disk Defragmenter.

    If you still don't have enough free space, you are very close to needing
    a larger hard disk drive or doing some very serious uninstalls of
    unused applications.

    Pete
    --
    1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]