    awful missing of user configurations which spoils this actually good camera
    mostly. Do you found any useful work-arounds to make these worse things a
    little better?
    Thomas Frost, Dec 16, 2003

  2. On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:10:07 +0100, Thomas Frost wrote:

    > the non adjustable flash intensity

    Two ways :
    - Use a flash that has flash exposure compensation built in. The Canon
    Speedlite 550EX has that.
    - Tinker with exposure compensation.

    > the inability to use the AF mode you want or need

    I have not found that to be much of a limitation.

    From http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/print.asp?review=canoneos300d&page=6

    "There has been much musing on our discussion forums about the
    implications of the AF mode being locked to AI Focus for the majority of
    the 'creative' exposure modes. I can honestly say that with careful use it
    is not an issue for 95% of everyday amateur photography. In a still
    shooting situation AI Focus appears to use One Shot AF initially, and thus
    there is no delay or difference in focus speed. Once AF is locked AI Focus
    monitors the scene and will only break to AI Servo mode if it detects
    movement (towards or away from the camera*) at the focus point and exact
    focus distance (thus it is not fooled by panning, background movement or
    movement in front of the focus distance such as people walking across your
    path)."
    Jean-Marc V. Liotier, Dec 16, 2003

  3. Thomas Frost

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Thomas Frost wrote:

    > The EOS300d is a good but ambivalently camera as it has a - for dSLR - very
    > low price, but extremly limitations too, that are discussed here a lot,
    > especially with the users of the competing and much better featured A1.
    >
    > As I am interested in buying a EOS300d, my question is now how you, the
    > EOS300d users, deal with these bad limitations like the non adjustable flash
    > intensity, the inability to use the AF mode you want or need and the mega
    > awful missing of user configurations which spoils this actually good camera
    > mostly. Do you found any useful work-arounds to make these worse things a
    > little better?

    Oh please....

    And how do they manage without a weatherproof body, or the inability to shoot
    10 frames per second, or how do the do anything with less than 10 Megapixels ?

    The 300D is an entry level DSLR.. Flash compensation and AI servo are nice to
    have, but not absolutely necessary. I'd be willing to bet most 300D users
    don't miss these things are, or even care what they are.

    The camera takes great pictures and provides very fast autofocus and low noise
    pictures at high ISO.

    Not everyone needs these things.. If you do *need* these things, get a 10D or a
    Nikon D100..
    Jim Townsend, Dec 16, 2003
  4. Thomas Frost

    Marc Libom Guest

    > Oh please....
    >
    > And how do they manage without a weatherproof body, or the inability to

    shoot
    > 10 frames per second, or how do the do anything with less than 10

    Megapixels ?

    > The 300D is an entry level DSLR.. Flash compensation and AI servo are

    nice to
    > have, but not absolutely necessary. I'd be willing to bet most 300D users
    > don't miss these things are, or even care what they are.
    >
    > The camera takes great pictures and provides very fast autofocus and low

    noise
    > pictures at high ISO.
    >
    > Not everyone needs these things.. If you do *need* these things, get a 10D

    or a
    > Nikon D100..

    Sorry Jim, but that's the arrogance, the interested group doesn't need.
    Thomas was asking a simple question which are absolutely comprehensible. As
    competitors (although you will never a A1 as competitor) has all these
    features and no limitations for a lower price.

    Thomas was just asking simple question. The EOS users should give him honest
    answers and shouldn't tell him, what he has to need, only the EOS has big
    deficits.
    Marc Libom, Dec 16, 2003
  5. Thomas Frost

    Marc Libom Guest

    > Two ways :
    > - Use a flash that has flash exposure compensation built in. The Canon
    > Speedlite 550EX has that.

    Sorry, I thought an integrated flash should act as a simple replacement for
    an expensive accessory, that of course has this features. It's definitely
    hard to understand, why Canon cut this feature and made the flash almost
    senseless.
    Marc Libom, Dec 16, 2003
  6. "Marc Libom" <> wrote in message

    > Sorry Jim, but that's the arrogance, the interested group doesn't need.
    > Thomas was asking a simple question which are absolutely comprehensible.

    As
    > competitors (although you will never a A1 as competitor) has all these
    > features and no limitations for a lower price.
    >
    > Thomas was just asking simple question. The EOS users should give him

    honest
    > answers and shouldn't tell him, what he has to need, only the EOS has big
    > deficits.

    I see whose camp you're not from ;-)

    Now, if you could provide some better alternatives to the Rebel for the same
    price, we'd be all set. TIA.

    Juan
    Juan R. Pollo, Dec 16, 2003
  7. Thomas Frost

    Michael Guest

    I may be a novice here, but I bought the Digital Rebel for it's entry level
    position in the SLR market. If you are a renown photographer, why in the
    hell would you be looking at this model? Whip out the wallet man and buy the
    10d. Don't be cheap!

    Michael, Dec 16, 2003
  8. Thomas Frost

    Dave Oddie Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:22:13 -0600, Jim Townsend <> wrote:

    >Oh please....
    >
    >And how do they manage without a weatherproof body, or the inability to shoot
    >10 frames per second, or how do the do anything with less than 10 Megapixels ?
    >
    >The 300D is an entry level DSLR.. Flash compensation and AI servo are nice to
    >have, but not absolutely necessary. I'd be willing to bet most 300D users
    >don't miss these things are, or even care what they are.
    >
    >The camera takes great pictures and provides very fast autofocus and low noise
    >pictures at high ISO.
    >
    >Not everyone needs these things.. If you do *need* these things, get a 10D or a
    >Nikon D100..

    Perhaps he does need these things and can't afford a 10D or D100?

    His question:

    >>Do you found any useful work-arounds to make these worse things a
    >>little better?

    Is hardly unreasonable and the answers to which might be of interest to others
    so why the aggressive totally unhelpful almost defensive response?

    He is not slagging the camera off but asking for how to get more out of it
    which seems quite reasonable.

    Unlike your response IMO.

    If you don't know the answers, better not to post than post a lecture.

    Dave
    Dave Oddie, Dec 16, 2003
  9. Thomas Frost

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Marc Libom wrote:

    > Sorry Jim, but that's the arrogance, the interested group doesn't need.
    > Thomas was asking a simple question which are absolutely comprehensible. As
    > competitors (although you will never a A1 as competitor) has all these
    > features and no limitations for a lower price.
    >
    > Thomas was just asking simple question. The EOS users should give him honest
    > answers and shouldn't tell him, what he has to need, only the EOS has big
    > deficits.

    I'll agree I was a bit condescending.. I'll agree the group doesn't need more
    of this. But.. I don't feel the OP was asking a simple question.

    If the original poster had simply asked how Rebel owners worked around what he
    felt were limitations, I would have remained quiet.

    He made a point of stating: "How do you deal with these bad limitations" and
    "with mega awful user configurations that spoil the camera"

    I read this as a troll.. And I guess I bit.

    Do you honestly believe he is *seriously* considering purchasing a camera he
    states has "bad limitations" and "mega awful user configurations" ? When was
    the last time you considered buying something with a mega awful feature.

    He was bashing the camera and disguising it as a question. If this isn't true,
    I apologize..
    Jim Townsend, Dec 16, 2003
  10. Thomas Frost

    Tim Puffett Guest

    In article <>, Dave Oddie
    <> writes
    >On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:22:13 -0600, Jim Townsend <> wrote:
    >
    >>Oh please....
    >>
    >>And how do they manage without a weatherproof body, or the inability to shoot
    >>10 frames per second, or how do the do anything with less than 10 Megapixels ?
    >>
    >>The 300D is an entry level DSLR.. Flash compensation and AI servo are nice to
    >>have, but not absolutely necessary. I'd be willing to bet most 300D users
    >>don't miss these things are, or even care what they are.
    >>
    >>The camera takes great pictures and provides very fast autofocus and low noise
    >>pictures at high ISO.
    >>
    >>Not everyone needs these things.. If you do *need* these things, get a 10D or a
    >>Nikon D100..

    >Perhaps he does need these things and can't afford a 10D or D100?

    So he's shit out of luck then!

    I 'need' all kinds of things that I can't afford but don't go moaning
    about it to all and sundry!

    --
    Tim Puffett
    Tim Puffett, Dec 16, 2003
  11. Thomas Frost

    Browntimdc Guest

    Jim Townsend <> wrote in

    > I read this as a troll.. And I guess I bit.
    >

    > He was bashing the camera and disguising it as a question. If this
    > isn't true, I apologize..

    He was a troll. His questions reminded me of Joe Mcarthy's technique.

    Tim

    --

    "The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
    and the second strongest is to resist it."

    Kenneth Graham
    Browntimdc, Dec 16, 2003
  12. Thomas Frost

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    If these are going to be a severe limitation to you -- GET A DIFFERENT
    CAMERA, ACE!

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Dec 16, 2003

  13. > He made a point of stating: "How do you deal with these bad limitations"

    and
    > "with mega awful user configurations that spoil the camera"
    >
    > I read this as a troll.. And I guess I bit.
    >
    > Do you honestly believe he is *seriously* considering purchasing a camera

    he
    > states has "bad limitations" and "mega awful user configurations" ? When

    was
    > the last time you considered buying something with a mega awful feature.
    >
    > He was bashing the camera and disguising it as a question. If this isn't

    true,
    > I apologize..

    No need to apologize, in my opinion. The OP used inflammatory language. It
    bothered me too and I was surprised to see that you got your butt kicked
    when your reaction was justified.
    Charles Schuler, Dec 16, 2003
  14. Thomas Frost

    Samuel Paik Guest

    "Thomas Frost" <> wrote:
    > As I am interested in buying a EOS300d, my question is now how you, the
    > EOS300d users, deal with these bad limitations like the non adjustable flash
    > intensity, the inability to use the AF mode you want or need and the mega
    > awful missing of user configurations which spoils this actually good camera
    > mostly. Do you found any useful work-arounds to make these worse things a
    > little better?

    First, if those features really are important to you, then you should
    be considering a 10D.

    I have never had a camera with any of these features, so while I can
    see their desirability, I don't miss them, per se. Actually, the
    only one I can see an immediate need for is the lack of AF mode
    flexibility, it would be nice for when the camera is on a tripod
    to be able to select the active AF point. The feature you didn't
    mention that I do miss is a lack of mirror lockup, which makes it
    a lot less useful in some special situations. I also wish that the
    focusing screens were interchangeable so I could get one with a
    split-image rangefinder spot.

    As far the lack of a flash exposure compensation, get an external
    flash with that capability
    Samuel Paik, Dec 16, 2003
  15. Thomas Frost

    Marc Libom Guest

    > I'll agree I was a bit condescending.. I'll agree the group doesn't need
    more
    > of this. But.. I don't feel the OP was asking a simple question.
    > He was bashing the camera and disguising it as a question. If this isn't

    true,
    > I apologize..

    I think the OP is undecided. You can read so many things about the Rebel,
    good and sometimes bad also, that it becomes confusing. I guess he is
    interested in buying a cam in this prize range and maybe don't want to spend
    even more money than this, so - it is the Rebel, no 10D or something better
    and more expensive. Frankly, I wouldn't pay a 1000$ for an analog EOS which
    is intentionally that limited also, but in the digital world this should be
    normal? I think the poster just want to know, if the users feel the
    limitation as bad as they seem to him or if they are some little work
    arounds so the limitation won't limit the user in daily use.
    Marc Libom, Dec 16, 2003
  16. Thomas Frost

    MarkH Guest

    "Thomas Frost" <> wrote in

    > The EOS300d is a good but ambivalently camera as it has a - for dSLR -
    > very low price, but extremly limitations too, that are discussed here
    > a lot, especially with the users of the competing and much better
    > featured A1.
    >
    > As I am interested in buying a EOS300d, my question is now how you,
    > the EOS300d users, deal with these bad limitations like the non
    > adjustable flash intensity, the inability to use the AF mode you want
    > or need and the mega awful missing of user configurations which spoils
    > this actually good camera mostly. Do you found any useful work-arounds
    > to make these worse things a little better?

    I bought a 10D, problem solved.

    However:
    The flash intensity IS adjustable, by the camera. It’s the compensation
    you can’t do. On both the 10D and the 300D the built in flash has limited
    usefulness. Attach a real flash and your problem is solved.
    On my 10D I use the same focus mode that the 300D is restricted to, it
    really is useful.

    But:
    If you want all the features that the 10D has then you should buy the 10D.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Dec 16, 2003
  17. Thomas Frost

    MarkH Guest

    Tim Puffett <> wrote in

    > I 'need' all kinds of things that I can't afford but don't go moaning
    > about it to all and sundry!

    Why not? I’d like to complain because I want the speed of the 1D, the res
    of the 1Ds and the price of the 300D, with the build quality and features
    of the 1Ds too.

    Oh well, nothing to do but try to be happy with my 10D for a few years till
    it’s worth buying a camera that can truly blow away what I have now, for a
    similar price.

    MarkH, Dec 16, 2003
  18. Thomas Frost

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Marc Libom wrote:

    >>Oh please....
    >>
    >>And how do they manage without a weatherproof body, or the inability to

    > shoot
    >
    >>10 frames per second, or how do the do anything with less than 10

    > Megapixels ?
    >
    >>The 300D is an entry level DSLR.. Flash compensation and AI servo are

    > nice to
    >
    >>have, but not absolutely necessary. I'd be willing to bet most 300D users
    >>don't miss these things are, or even care what they are.
    >>
    >>The camera takes great pictures and provides very fast autofocus and low

    > noise
    >
    >>pictures at high ISO.
    >>
    >>Not everyone needs these things.. If you do *need* these things, get a 10D

    > or a
    >
    >>Nikon D100..

    > Sorry Jim, but that's the arrogance, the interested group doesn't need.
    > Thomas was asking a simple question which are absolutely comprehensible. As
    > competitors (although you will never a A1 as competitor) has all these
    > features and no limitations for a lower price.
    >
    > Thomas was just asking simple question. The EOS users should give him honest
    > answers and shouldn't tell him, what he has to need, only the EOS has big
    > deficits.

    It provides a nice collection of features, and good flexibility at less
    than most other digital cameras. I suspect that most users are very
    pleased with it for the price. Those who need more can buy the 10D or
    one of the really expensive ones.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 16, 2003
  19. Thomas Frost

    jriegle Guest

    I go out and take pictures with it.
    John
    jriegle, Dec 16, 2003
  20. Thomas Frost

    Jeff Shoaf Guest

    (Samuel Paik) wrote in

    >Actually, the
    > only one I can see an immediate need for is the lack of AF mode
    > flexibility, it would be nice for when the camera is on a tripod
    > to be able to select the active AF point.

    You can select the active AF point on the 300D.
    Jeff Shoaf, Dec 16, 2003