  1. Dear All

                    I would like to know how to customize Windows 98SE user settings.  I have a learner that wants to know how to use a computer and I need a way to uninstal progams on the learners desktop without unistaling progams from the master logon.  any links would be helful or downloads.

    -Travis Nowicki  :)
    Travis Nowicki, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Travis Nowicki

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Travis Nowicki <> wrote in
    news::

    > Dear All
    > bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I would like to know how to customize Windows
    > 98SE user settings.&nbsp; I have a learner that wants to know how to
    > use a computer and I need a way to uninstal progams on the learners
    > desktop without unistaling progams from the master logon.&nbsp; any
    > links would be helful or downloads. <p>-Travis Nowicki&nbsp;
    > :)</html>
    >
    > Attachment decoded: untitled-1.htm

    The last time I look at a Win 9'x O/S, it had no features as that. The O/S
    doesn't have user accounts that can be set for each user that can login and
    provide profiles as to what each user can or cannot do while on the
    computer. If you want that kind of feature, then the machine needs to be
    running a MS NT based O/S with those features.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Travis Nowicki

    Chris B Guest

    Duane Arnold <> wrote in message news:<Xns94979190744E2notmwnotmecom@204.127.204.17>...

    > Travis Nowicki <> wrote in
    >
    > > <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
    > > Dear All
    > > bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I would like to know how to customize Windows
    > > 98SE user settings.&nbsp; I have a learner that wants to know how to
    > > use a computer and I need a way to uninstal progams on the learners
    > > desktop without unistaling progams from the master logon.&nbsp; any
    > > links would be helful or downloads. <p>-Travis Nowicki&nbsp;
    > > :)</html>
    > >
    > > Attachment decoded: untitled-1.htm
    > >

    > The last time I look at a Win 9'x O/S, it had no features as that. The O/S
    > doesn't have user accounts that can be set for each user that can login and
    > provide profiles as to what each user can or cannot do while on the
    > computer. If you want that kind of feature, then the machine needs to be
    > running a MS NT based O/S with those features.
    >
    > Duane :)

    You must not have looked very closely...
    A quick search on Google of "Windows 98 User Profile" returns ~400,000
    results.
    duhh..

    All of the Win 9x's DO have features designed exactly for that
    purpose.
    Why do you think they have a logon/password prompt function at all if
    it doesn't
    DO anything? - obviously the original poster knows about different
    logons and wants them to see different things - Win 9x has always
    supported this. (!)

    * Try Control-Panel --> Users (or Profiles - forget exactly what it's
    called)

    You can configure profiles which specify "User Customisations" - in
    other words - what icons will be seen on the desktop and what entries
    will be shown in the Start Menu for each different user that logs in.

    It is a long way from the "proper" (being generous here) multi-user
    capability in NT/XP - but for the purposes described - customising
    what the desktop/start menu looks like based on which user is logged
    in - it is perfectly adequate.

    You need to enable this first (in the control-panel applet 'Users'),
    but you sure don't need to buy an "NT based" Windows to have more than
    one user and set of preferences. (A Profile in other words). Once you
    have it turned on, you can just login with the learning username - and
    remove the icons from the desktop or start menu that you don't want
    that logon to see. NB do NOT uninstall the application - just drag the
    icons to the recycle bin. The OS will then keep a separate folder for
    each user's desktop (and other cosmetic settings) in the folder
    C:\Windows\Profiles.

    .... C B
    Chris B, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Travis Nowicki

    Duane Arnold Guest

    (Chris B) wrote in

    > Duane Arnold <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Travis Nowicki <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
    >> > Dear All
    >> > ;&n bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I would like to know how to customize
    >> > Windows 98SE user settings.&nbsp; I have a learner that wants to
    >> > know how to use a computer and I need a way to uninstal progams on
    >> > the learners desktop without unistaling progams from the master
    >> > logon.&nbsp; any links would be helful or downloads. <p>-Travis
    >> > Nowicki&nbsp;
    >> > :)</html>
    >> >
    >> > Attachment decoded: untitled-1.htm
    >> >

    >> The last time I look at a Win 9'x O/S, it had no features as that.
    >> The O/S doesn't have user accounts that can be set for each user that
    >> can login and provide profiles as to what each user can or cannot do
    >> while on the computer. If you want that kind of feature, then the
    >> machine needs to be running a MS NT based O/S with those features.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > You must not have looked very closely...
    > A quick search on Google of "Windows 98 User Profile" returns ~400,000
    > results.
    > duhh..
    >
    > All of the Win 9x's DO have features designed exactly for that
    > purpose.
    > Why do you think they have a logon/password prompt function at all if
    > it doesn't
    > DO anything? - obviously the original poster knows about different
    > logons and wants them to see different things - Win 9x has always
    > supported this. (!)
    >
    > * Try Control-Panel --> Users (or Profiles - forget exactly what it's
    > called)
    >
    > You can configure profiles which specify "User Customisations" - in
    > other words - what icons will be seen on the desktop and what entries
    > will be shown in the Start Menu for each different user that logs in.
    >
    > It is a long way from the "proper" (being generous here) multi-user
    > capability in NT/XP - but for the purposes described - customising
    > what the desktop/start menu looks like based on which user is logged
    > in - it is perfectly adequate.
    >
    > You need to enable this first (in the control-panel applet 'Users'),
    > but you sure don't need to buy an "NT based" Windows to have more than
    > one user and set of preferences. (A Profile in other words). Once you
    > have it turned on, you can just login with the learning username - and
    > remove the icons from the desktop or start menu that you don't want
    > that logon to see. NB do NOT uninstall the application - just drag the
    > icons to the recycle bin. The OS will then keep a separate folder for
    > each user's desktop (and other cosmetic settings) in the folder
    > C:\Windows\Profiles.
    >

    > ... C B

    The last time I saw Win 98 was in the late 90's and it didn't last long!
    And to be honest about this, I don't want to know anything about it
    again. <g> That's nothing against you.

    Duane :)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Feb 24, 2004