    and nothing changed today. i need an easy way to change ip address. i
    have shaw high speed internet

    , Mar 5, 2008

  2. VanguardLH Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >i have smac2 to change mac address but it only allows you to change
    > one address. for some reason , i can change my ip address by playing
    > with stuff but i have no idea what is happening and i played all day
    > and nothing changed today. i need an easy way to change ip address.
    > have shaw high speed internet

    Explain WHAT you are trying to accomplish rather than rambling on how
    you tried to accomplish the unidentified goal.

    First you ask about changing the MAC address on your host (or maybe a
    router, who knows from the rambling). Then you ask about changing her
    IP address (one what is not identified). Without knowing the goal or
    intent, hard to know what you are trying to do or why you are fudging
    with network settings.

    Unless you have a NAT router, you don't get to assign IP addresses to
    your internal hosts. That won't change what IP address that Shaw
    assigns to you (for the WAN-side of your router).

    That means you will remain blocked at that forum where you violated
    their terms of service while you continue to have that IP address. If
    you have an always-on broadband Internet service, it is likely that
    you will have that same IP address for many months. Even if you
    release an expired IP address, it is likely that you will get
    reassigned the same one from your ISP's IP pool.

    Windows <someversion> for Dummies
    <someOptionalPrefix> Networking for Dummies

    Might be available at your local public library.

    VanguardLH, Mar 5, 2008

  3. why? Guest

    On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 23:19:28 -0800 (PST),
    wrote:

    A bit of a ramble....

    >i have smac2 to change mac address but it only allows you to change to
    >one address. for some reason , i can change my ip address by playing
    >with stuff but i have no idea what is happening and i played all day

    Then don't play.

    >and nothing changed today. i need an easy way to change ip address. i

    What nothing changed? You said you changed the IP.

    Do you have any extra of the stuff you played with?

    >have shaw high speed internet

    Generally you get new IPs by changing the NIC, a new MAC gives you a new
    IP. You may need to register the new MAC with the ISP.

    Some NIC drivers have a field to allow a MAC to be entered manually
    (LAA), however if you guess incorrectly and duplicate another MAC there
    could be issues. So buy 50 NICs to get 50 MACs and enter each new MAC as
    required.

    Me

    why?, Mar 5, 2008
  4. JanB Guest

    <> schreef in bericht
    >i have smac2 to change mac address but it only allows you to change
    > one address. for some reason , i can change my ip address by playing
    > with stuff but i have no idea what is happening and i played all day
    > and nothing changed today. i need an easy way to change ip address.
    > have shaw high speed internet

    It depends on which IP-address you are talking. The high

    JanB, Mar 5, 2008
  5. Guest

    wrote:
    > i have smac2 to change mac address but it only allows you to change to
    > one address. for some reason , i can change my ip address by playing
    > with stuff but i have no idea what is happening and i played all day
    > and nothing changed today. i need an easy way to change ip address. i
    > have shaw high speed internet

    Hi, you probably need to unplug and plug back in your modem from the
    wall, or another way to reset it, to allow
    your new IP address to be assigned to the new MAC

    So merely changing you MAC won't necessarily change your IP, but will
    when the lease for that IP is up, if the MAC address has changed.

    I've had at the same one least for at least a couple of years. But
    some internet providers may have them change weekly. Dialup may change
    every time you connect.

    Your internet providers gives you an IP, likewise your home router
    gives every computer connected to it in your house an IP address. Like
    this 192.0.100.1 192.0.0.2 192.0.0.3

    google IP lease to get a better understanding

    , Mar 6, 2008
  6. why? Guest

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 19:36:51 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> i have smac2 to change mac address but it only allows you to change to
    >> one address. for some reason , i can change my ip address by playing
    >> with stuff but i have no idea what is happening and i played all day
    >> and nothing changed today. i need an easy way to change ip address. i
    >> have shaw high speed internet

    >Hi, you probably need to unplug and plug back in your modem from the
    >wall, or another way to reset it, to allow
    >your new IP address to be assigned to the new MAC

    Fine, new MAC new IP.

    >So merely changing you MAC won't necessarily change your IP, but will
    >when the lease for that IP is up, if the MAC address has changed.

    A new MAC can get a new IP automatically or the existing lease could be
    released (before it expires) , the MAC changed, then manually renew
    lease or leave it to be done automatically.

    As long as it's a dynamic service and not fixed to user account sort of
    thing or the CPE.

    >I've had at the same one least for at least a couple of years. But

    A good benefit of a router on 24x7.

    >some internet providers may have them change weekly. Dialup may change
    >every time you connect.
    >
    >Your internet providers gives you an IP, likewise your home router
    >gives every computer connected to it in your house an IP address. Like
    >this 192.0.100.1 192.0.0.2 192.0.0.3
    >
    >google IP lease to get a better understanding

    Sort of unlike your post :)

    A beginners tutorial link would have been better.

    Me

    why?, Mar 6, 2008
  7. Guest

    Is there anything better than smac2 because the free version only
    allows one mac address. I do unplug the modem and turn computer off
    etc in various ways but only once in awhile does the ip address
    change. Im really not changin the mac with smac2 because there is only
    one mac to choose from. I do manage to change the ip address but only
    after several hours of screwing around.

    , Mar 7, 2008
  8. why? Guest

    On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 00:25:16 -0800 (PST),
    wrote:

    >Is there anything better than smac2 because the free version only

    I have no idea what smac2 is, how about a URL for the place you got it
    from.

    >allows one mac address. I do unplug the modem and turn computer off

    Ah, free... then buy it?

    >etc in various ways but only once in awhile does the ip address
    >change. Im really not changin the mac with smac2 because there is only

    A lot of that is down to the ISP, it may be the case it's a dynamic IP
    and related to the ISP equipment and not your PC settings?

    >one mac to choose from. I do manage to change the ip address but only
    >after several hours of screwing around.

    It's still not clear,

    If it's the IP address of the PC you want to change, not the router or
    modem?

    What you have connected between the pc and the isp connection, just a
    modem.

    Why you need to change the IP address?

    How you are changing it and why it took several hours.

    What operating system.

    What ISP.

    If after you change the IP where you got the new one from.

    If your connection still works after?

    Then again posting a vague question in the subject line...

    ..... and google grouper.

    Me

    why?, Mar 7, 2008