HOw do you call a Betamax VOIP with SIP hardware

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 23, 2006.

  1. How do you call a Betamax VOIP contact that doesn't have an incoming number
    with SIP hardware ?

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 23, 2006

  2. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:27:20 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    <> wrote:

    >How do you call a Betamax VOIP contact that doesn't have an incoming number
    >with SIP hardware ?

    You use a the SIP address of the party you wish to call.
    It will be something like one of :-

    Depending on your SIP hardware you could make the sip address
    correspond to a 'speed dial' number.
    I don't know precisely which VSP to which you are referring. However,
    if the first part of the sip address is a number then you can call
    that number via Sipbroker* by prefixing with the appropriate VSP code.
    If, however, the first part of the sip address is not a number, but a
    name, then you are stuck with having to use the sip address in the way
    I described above.
    *www.sipbroker.com

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 23, 2006

  3. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-23, Brian A <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:27:20 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>How do you call a Betamax VOIP contact that doesn't have an incoming number
    >>with SIP hardware ?

    > You use a the SIP address of the party you wish to call.
    > It will be something like one of :-
    >

    > Depending on your SIP hardware you could make the sip address
    > correspond to a 'speed dial' number.
    > I don't know precisely which VSP to which you are referring. However,
    > if the first part of the sip address is a number then you can call
    > that number via Sipbroker* by prefixing with the appropriate VSP code.
    > If, however, the first part of the sip address is not a number, but a
    > name, then you are stuck with having to use the sip address in the way
    > I described above.
    > *www.sipbroker.com

    Sipbroker has excellent facilities but isn't yet geared up to working
    miracles. The Betamax family is very close knit and has its network
    closed to outsiders.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 23, 2006
  4. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-23, ¬Stephen Hammond <> wrote:

    > How do you call a Betamax VOIP contact that doesn't have an incoming number
    > with SIP hardware ?

    There is a forum at www.voipbuster.com which should help you.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 23, 2006
  5. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 20:49:09 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    wrote:

    >On 2006-11-23, Brian A <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:27:20 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>How do you call a Betamax VOIP contact that doesn't have an incoming number
    >>>with SIP hardware ?

    >> You use a the SIP address of the party you wish to call.
    >> It will be something like one of :-
    >>

    >> Depending on your SIP hardware you could make the sip address
    >> correspond to a 'speed dial' number.
    >> I don't know precisely which VSP to which you are referring. However,
    >> if the first part of the sip address is a number then you can call
    >> that number via Sipbroker* by prefixing with the appropriate VSP code.
    >> If, however, the first part of the sip address is not a number, but a
    >> name, then you are stuck with having to use the sip address in the way
    >> I described above.
    >> *www.sipbroker.com

    >Sipbroker has excellent facilities but isn't yet geared up to working
    >miracles. The Betamax family is very close knit and has its network
    >closed to outsiders.

    Ah, thank you for that useful information. A good reason for not
    choosing Betamax if you want to receive calls from other networks.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 23, 2006
  6. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Martin² Guest

    You should be able to dial the contact's IP~ number using # before and after
    and * instead of dot,
    eg: #123*45*67*89# , regardless of any SIP provider(s).
    (~That's the router's internet IP number, NOT your computers LAN IP number)
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Nov 24, 2006

  7. > You should be able to dial the contact's IP~ number using # before and
    > after and * instead of dot,
    > eg: #123*45*67*89# , regardless of any SIP provider(s).
    > (~That's the router's internet IP number, NOT your computers LAN IP
    > number)
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    So how do I find out the Ip address thingymebobb?? I'm using voipcheap.com
    my username is bananapineapple give me a call if you can ;)

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 24, 2006
  8. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Scope Guest

    ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
    >> You should be able to dial the contact's IP~ number using # before and
    >> after and * instead of dot,
    >> eg: #123*45*67*89# , regardless of any SIP provider(s).
    >> (~That's the router's internet IP number, NOT your computers LAN IP
    >> number)
    >> Regards,
    >> Martin

    > So how do I find out the Ip address thingymebobb?? I'm using voipcheap.com
    > my username is bananapineapple give me a call if you can ;)

    Plus most people have dynamic IP addresses that can change every day..

    Scope, Nov 24, 2006
  9. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Scope" <> wrote in message
    > ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
    > > > You should be able to dial the contact's IP~ number
    > > > using # before and after and * instead of dot,
    > > > eg: #123*45*67*89# , regardless of any SIP
    > > > provider(s). (~That's the router's internet IP
    > > > number, NOT your computers LAN IP number)
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Martin

    > > So how do I find out the Ip address thingymebobb?? I'm
    > > using voipcheap.com my username is bananapineapple give
    > > me a call if you can ;)

    > Plus most people have dynamic IP addresses that can
    > change every day..

    www.dyndns.org

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 24, 2006
  10. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-24, ¬Stephen Hammond <> wrote:

    >> You should be able to dial the contact's IP~ number using # before and
    >> after and * instead of dot,
    >> eg: #123*45*67*89# , regardless of any SIP provider(s).
    >> (~That's the router's internet IP number, NOT your computers LAN IP
    >> number)
    >> Regards,
    >> Martin

    > So how do I find out the Ip address thingymebobb?? I'm using voipcheap.com
    > my username is bananapineapple give me a call if you can ;)

    With great difficulty - if you do not know the callee sufficiently well
    to ask them for it or find it in some other way. You have 80.176.75.189
    at present, but that's only known because of your posting here.

    If the person you wish to call is known to you but on a dynamic IP you
    have the extra problem of finding out what it is at the time you phone.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 24, 2006
  11. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Scope Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > "Scope" <> wrote in message
    >>> So how do I find out the Ip address thingymebobb?? I'm
    >>> using voipcheap.com my username is bananapineapple give
    >>> me a call if you can ;)

    >> Plus most people have dynamic IP addresses that can
    >> change every day..

    > www.dyndns.org
    >
    > Ivor

    Im running something similar, but most people will NOT be bothered or
    interested in setting this up - hence IP calling is pretty useless.

    Scope, Nov 24, 2006
  12. This the product I have http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html (manual
    is there )someone called me using but I'm
    not sure of where or if I can enter this in my device ??
    Not that I want to call myself just other people on the same network ;)

    Stephen

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 24, 2006
  13. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-24, ¬Stephen Hammond <> wrote:

    [The lack of context in your post isn't helpful.]

    > This the product I have http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html (manual
    > is there )someone called me using but I'm
    > not sure of where or if I can enter this in my device ??
    > Not that I want to call myself just other people on the same network ;)

    Try the 'How to use a dial rule?' section. Study the diagram. The third
    line deserves a good look.

    You want to phone username@domain. The domain is put in 'Destination'.
    The username is put in 'Alias'. Not tested and there is probably a bit
    more to do.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 24, 2006
  14. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Rob Guest

    "¬Stephen Hammond" <> wrote in message
    > This the product I have http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html (manual
    > is there )someone called me using but

    I'm
    > not sure of where or if I can enter this in my device ??
    > Not that I want to call myself just other people on the same network ;)

    It was me who called you (I actually used
    ) but as I said when I phoned you, I think
    the BetaMax sip servers are interchangeable.

    I don't think you need to enter those details into your ATA for someone to
    call you. They should be able to call you (SIP call) by entering your
    details into _their_ device, ie into their device providing your
    device/account is registered OK, which it appears to be as I managed to call
    you.

    You will need to enter other peoples details into your device if you wish to
    make SIP calls to them.

    Rob

    Rob, Nov 24, 2006
  15. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:53:34 -0000, "Rob" <>
    wrote:

    >"¬Stephen Hammond" <> wrote in message
    >> This the product I have http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html (manual
    >> is there )someone called me using but

    >I'm
    >> not sure of where or if I can enter this in my device ??
    >> Not that I want to call myself just other people on the same network ;)

    >It was me who called you (I actually used
    > ) but as I said when I phoned you, I think
    >the BetaMax sip servers are interchangeable.
    >
    >I don't think you need to enter those details into your ATA for someone to
    >call you. They should be able to call you (SIP call) by entering your
    >details into _their_ device, ie into their device providing your
    >device/account is registered OK, which it appears to be as I managed to call
    >you.

    Correct, to call just enter the sipo address you wish to call e.g.

    >You will need to enter other peoples details into your device if you wish to
    >make SIP calls to them.

    However, as was pointed out in a previous post, Betamax apprently lock
    out calls that are off-net. A very bad practice I think.
    As I pointed out in a previous post you can call someone on their SIP
    address, such as . To do it you could
    assign it ot a speed dial. If you want to assign a number to it you
    could open an account with Voxalot and forward calls, dialled to your
    Voxalot number, to your sip address. Howver, if Betamax block off-net
    calls then it is all pointless as it won't work.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Nov 24, 2006
  16. On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:31:04 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    <> wrote:

    >So how do I find out the Ip address thingymebobb?? I'm using voipcheap.com
    >my username is bananapineapple give me a call if you can

    can you register it at E164.org or enum.org and tie it to another
    number so that a SIP user dialling the other number picks up the SIP
    address via enum lookups ?

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))

    Phil Thompson, Nov 24, 2006
  17. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-24, Phil Thompson <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:31:04 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>So how do I find out the Ip address thingymebobb?? I'm using voipcheap.com
    >>my username is bananapineapple give me a call if you can

    > can you register it at E164.org or enum.org and tie it to another
    > number so that a SIP user dialling the other number picks up the SIP
    > address via enum lookups ?

    No. Enum maps a telephone number to something else; a SIP address or an
    email address, for example. Whoever he wants to contact doesn't have an
    incoming telephone number for the Betamax service they subscribe to.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 24, 2006
  18. On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 21:52:24 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    wrote:

    >Whoever he wants to contact doesn't have an
    >incoming telephone number for the Betamax service they subscribe to.

    they don't need one surely, put a valid phone number in that they have
    control over and connect it with the Betamax SIP ID and an enum user
    will route to the SIP ID...

    "ENUM with automatic PSTN fallback. People who have a PSTN phone (or a
    DID) can map that phone number to a SIP URI (for free at e164.org) --
    that mapping is called ENUM. Whenever someone calls that PSTN phone
    number from a SIP client or proxy that checks ENUM, the call goes to
    the mapped SIP URI (rather than via PSTN) and is free."

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))

    Phil Thompson, Nov 24, 2006
  19. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-11-24, Phil Thompson <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 21:52:24 +0000 (UTC), Brian <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Whoever he wants to contact doesn't have an
    >>incoming telephone number for the Betamax service they subscribe to.

    > they don't need one surely, put a valid phone number in that they have
    > control over and connect it with the Betamax SIP ID and an enum user
    > will route to the SIP ID...
    >
    > "ENUM with automatic PSTN fallback. People who have a PSTN phone (or a
    > DID) can map that phone number to a SIP URI (for free at e164.org) --
    > that mapping is called ENUM. Whenever someone calls that PSTN phone
    > number from a SIP client or proxy that checks ENUM, the call goes to
    > the mapped SIP URI (rather than via PSTN) and is free."

    You're correct, any phone number would do. Pointing it to the SIP URI
    won't get a connection though, as I believe Betamax don't at present
    accept such requests from outside their network. The SIP URI could be
    <username@IP_number>, which takes us back to posts earlier in this
    thread.

    The OP's best solution is to use a speed dial from a line which uses
    his VoipCheap username and password.

    Brian.

    Brian, Nov 25, 2006
  20. ¬Stephen Hammond