    Assume we have two Core switches, and 10 edge switches.
    Al edge switches are connected through fiber with both core switches.

    Let me here your proposal's

    Joris Deschacht, Oct 29, 2004

  2. Joris Deschacht

    stephen Guest

    "Joris Deschacht" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just wondering how other ppl handle the design of a fully redundant
    > LAN network.
    > With fully redundant, I mean full use of both uplinks.

    why bother? - unless it is a server farm the limiting factor is usually
    downlink speed

    > Formerly redundant design where achieved by using STP, but the
    > disadvantage of that kind of design was you only could have one active
    > uplink.

    1 stack / chassis switch with 1 subnet and 2 uplinks. VRRP / HSRP on 2
    distribution switches.

    single active default gateway, but both distribution switches sending into
    the subnet.

    --
    Regards

    stephen, Oct 29, 2004

  3. Today the customer like to have there both fiberlinks up.

    Joris Deschacht, Nov 3, 2004
  4. Joris Deschacht

    zher Guest

    If your switch can support dynamic routing protocols like OSPF, OSPF
    probably is the easiest way to load share your 2 links through 2 core
    switches.

    Also, if your switches support cross platform etherchannel, that would
    be another Layer 2 approach.

    And 2 HSRP/VRRP groups on your core swtches help as well.

    zher, Nov 3, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    (Joris Deschacht) wrote:

    > Just wondering how other ppl handle the design of a fully redundant
    > LAN network.

    Get the book "High-Availabilityy Networking with Cisco", by Vincent
    Jones.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Nov 4, 2004
  6. Joris Deschacht

    > Today the customer like to have there both fiberlinks up.

    yes - a good idea. BUT - it only makes sense to complicate the network
    design to get useful throughput increases.

    An edge switch with users and printers connected has most traffic flow going
    to the users, not away from them.

    So - put your effort into making the traffic flowing from the core to the
    users load share - traffic going the other way is often only 10% of the
    total.

    > How to you design the network?
    >
    > Assume we have two Core switches, and 10 edge switches.
    > Al edge switches are connected through fiber with both core switches.

    layer 3 core switches. separate subnet per edge switch. HSRP / VRRP on each
    subnet, with 1 default gateway address.

    make some servers send their traffic to each core, then different servers
    will send their traffic down different downlinks to the edge switches.

    --
    Regards

    stephen, Nov 4, 2004
  7. Will you have a 2GB link to your core using OSPF or HSRP/VRRP??
    Will it not be like spanning tree, that the other link is inactive or standby??

    Joris Deschacht, Nov 4, 2004
  8. Joris Deschacht

    zher Guest

    yeah, I do have 2 GE links running at load sharing mode.

    It's not like a STP, since the STP would always block one of those 2 links

    zher, Nov 4, 2004