How do u save passwords in Firefox 1.5.0.1?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Paul, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hey all,

    I installed Firefox last night. Everything works fine, but
    no matter what site I try, it doesnt save the username/pw
    on any of them (Or whatever its meant to do).

    It didnt work with 1.5 or any other version of Firefox
    I had previously either.

    I went to a Mozilla IRC channel. The ops thought it
    maybe the site thats the prob.

    BUT, why does the same site (the one I'm trying to get to work in Firefox),
    let you save the username/PW in Opera, if this were the case?

    The ops also said, to create a new profile in Firefox,
    which didnt work either. Remember password is ticked.

    So, how exactly does the password option work lol.

    Stuffed if I can figure out, how to get Firefox to save any passwords, no
    matter how hard I try.

    Any info appreciated.

    Thanx

    Paul, Feb 5, 2006

  2. Paul

    gwtc Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I installed Firefox last night. Everything works fine, but
    > no matter what site I try, it doesnt save the username/pw
    > on any of them (Or whatever its meant to do).
    >
    > It didnt work with 1.5 or any other version of Firefox
    > I had previously either.
    >
    > I went to a Mozilla IRC channel. The ops thought it
    > maybe the site thats the prob.
    >
    > BUT, why does the same site (the one I'm trying to get to work in Firefox),
    > let you save the username/PW in Opera, if this were the case?
    >
    > The ops also said, to create a new profile in Firefox,
    > which didnt work either. Remember password is ticked.
    >
    > So, how exactly does the password option work lol.
    >
    > Stuffed if I can figure out, how to get Firefox to save any passwords, no
    > matter how hard I try.
    >
    > Any info appreciated.
    >
    > Thanx

    try the remember password bookmarklet:
    http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html#remember_password

    just drag the bookmarklet to your Personal Toolbar. Go to the login
    site, click the bookmarklet, enter your user name and password and the
    password manager should remember it.

    gwtc, Feb 5, 2006

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanx GW. I'll check it out

    Ta

    "gwtc" <TheNewGWTC-64-110-101-116-115-99-97-112-101-46-110-101-116> wrote in
    message news:...

    Paul, Feb 5, 2006
  4. Paul

    Monty Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote:

    >I installed Firefox last night. Everything works fine, but
    >no matter what site I try, it doesnt save the username/pw
    >on any of them (Or whatever its meant to do).

    Have you tried Tools / Options / Privacy / Passwords / and put a tick
    in the "Remember Passwords" box ?

    Monty, Feb 5, 2006
  5. Paul

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Monty wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I installed Firefox last night. Everything works fine, but
    >> no matter what site I try, it doesnt save the username/pw
    >> on any of them (Or whatever its meant to do).
    >>

    > Have you tried Tools / Options / Privacy / Passwords / and put a tick
    > in the "Remember Passwords" box ?

    Also make sure your password file is not marked read/only. After
    verifying the above option, I'd try renaming the pw file with Firefox
    closed, open FF, go to a site where you want to save a pw/login, and try
    again. It's possible there's something wrong with the file.

    The other possibility is that the particular site is blocking pw/login
    storing. The bookmarklet that gwtc suggested will only work on /some/
    such sites but it's worth a try.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 5, 2006
  6. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Yup remember password is ticked.

    GW, that site didnt work lol.

    I tried a forum (I usually go to) again last night.

    It did bring up my username, (I could select the username), but the password
    wasnt there.

    Thats how its meant to work isnt it?

    If FF does manage to save the username/password, u select the username, and
    the PW is meant to appear for that username?

    Somehow, I doubt I'll ever find out. Coz its never worked in FF lol.

    Ed, umm what PW file lol.

    It doesnt work from what I've tried, so I dont think there is a password
    file, coz nothing happens, and no password file gets created.

    Its just funny that I can go to Gmail, a PC World forum, one of the ASUS
    forums, and can use Opera to login to all of them. BUT none of these work in
    FF.

    Paul, Feb 5, 2006
  7. Paul

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Yup remember password is ticked.
    >
    > GW, that site didnt work lol.

    The site gwtc referenced contains bookmarklets. Do you understand how
    to use them? You drag the bookmarklet and drop it on your Firefox
    bookmarks. Then, visit the site you want to log into, fill in the login
    form fields, click the bookmarklet, dismiss whatever prompt it may
    display, then submit the login info. If the site uses
    autocomplete="off" to prevent saving of passwords Firefox should store
    the login info.

    > I tried a forum (I usually go to) again last night.
    >
    > It did bring up my username, (I could select the username), but the password
    > wasnt there.
    >
    > Thats how its meant to work isnt it?
    >
    > If FF does manage to save the username/password, u select the username, and
    > the PW is meant to appear for that username?

    Yes, IF the password was saved. If you logged into the site previously
    and saved the username, but the site uses autocomplete="off", the
    password was not saved. You need to use the bookmarklet to try to
    defeat autocomplete="off" (assuming that's the problem). It is also why
    I suggested renaming the pw file which is in your profile and called
    signons.txt (or xxxxxxxx.s if your profile came from an older version of
    Mozilla). See these links about profiles:

    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
    http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/

    > Somehow, I doubt I'll ever find out. Coz its never worked in FF lol.
    >
    > Ed, umm what PW file lol.
    >
    > It doesnt work from what I've tried, so I dont think there is a password
    > file, coz nothing happens, and no password file gets created.
    >
    > Its just funny that I can go to Gmail, a PC World forum, one of the ASUS
    > forums, and can use Opera to login to all of them. BUT none of these work in
    > FF.

    Be systematic about troubleshooting this.

    - Post the URL for a page where you are having problems with FF
    passwords so we can test.
    - rename your pw file if one exists
    - Run FF in Safe Mode
    - go to a site that allows saving of login and pw such as:
    http://login.yahoo.com
    http://delta.com
    http://hiltonhhonors.com
    http://hertz.com
    http://www.papajohns.com
    http://comcast.net
    http://home.americanexpress.com

    It doesn't matter if you actually have an account at any of those, just
    fill in the login with any info and FF should prompt to save the info
    when you click the login button.

    - Put the bookmarklet into your bookmarks, visit a problem site, do as
    described above.

    Also, consider whether your installation of FF is in any way
    non-standard. That is, what extensions and themes are installed, have
    you modified the program and/or profile locations in any way, etc.

    What other utility/memory-resident programs are running on your system
    that might be interfering.

    The password function in Firefox most assuredly works. Something about
    your installation is causing this.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 5, 2006
  8. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Ah ok. I'll try that bookmarklet again. I didnt drag it. I'll see what
    happens this time.

    Ta

    Paul, Feb 5, 2006
  9. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Well whatya know, it worked lol.

    Hmm, why have the pw option in FF by default, if u need something else to
    get it to work.

    Thanx for that Ed.

    Paul, Feb 5, 2006
  10. Paul

    gwtc Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Well whatya know, it worked lol.
    >
    > Hmm, why have the pw option in FF by default, if u need something else to
    > get it to work.
    >
    > Thanx for that Ed.
    >
    > "gwtc" <TheNewGWTC-64-110-101-116-115-99-97-112-101-46-110-101-116> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >
    >>Paul wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hey all,
    >>>
    >>>I installed Firefox last night. Everything works fine, but
    >>>no matter what site I try, it doesnt save the username/pw
    >>>on any of them (Or whatever its meant to do).
    >>>
    >>>It didnt work with 1.5 or any other version of Firefox
    >>>I had previously either.
    >>>
    >>>I went to a Mozilla IRC channel. The ops thought it
    >>>maybe the site thats the prob.
    >>>
    >>>BUT, why does the same site (the one I'm trying to get to work in
    >>>Firefox), let you save the username/PW in Opera, if this were the case?
    >>>
    >>>The ops also said, to create a new profile in Firefox,
    >>>which didnt work either. Remember password is ticked.
    >>>
    >>>So, how exactly does the password option work lol.
    >>>
    >>>Stuffed if I can figure out, how to get Firefox to save any passwords, no
    >>>matter how hard I try.
    >>>
    >>>Any info appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Thanx
    >>>

    >>try the remember password bookmarklet:
    >>http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/forms.html#remember_password
    >>
    >>just drag the bookmarklet to your Personal Toolbar. Go to the login site,
    >>click the bookmarklet, enter your user name and password and the password
    >>manager should remember it.

    some sites disable the remembering of passwords function. Thats why,
    the bookmarklet method sometimes works around that problem.

    gwtc, Feb 5, 2006
  11. Paul

    gwtc Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

> [...]

    > http://hiltonhhonors.com
    > http://hertz.com
    > http://www.papajohns.com
    > http://comcast.net
    > http://home.americanexpress.com
    >
    > It doesn't matter if you actually have an account at any of those, just
    > fill in the login with any info and FF should prompt to save the info
    > when you click the login button.
    >
    > - Put the bookmarklet into your bookmarks, visit a problem site, do as
    > described above.
    >
    > Also, consider whether your installation of FF is in any way
    > non-standard. That is, what extensions and themes are installed, have
    > you modified the program and/or profile locations in any way, etc.
    >
    > What other utility/memory-resident programs are running on your system
    > that might be interfering.
    >
    > The password function in Firefox most assuredly works. Something about

    Yahoo provides to log in types. One a standard one and the other
    secure. If I remember correctly, the Password Manager works on the
    secured login, but not the standard one.

    gwtc, Feb 5, 2006
  12. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hmm, I created a new profile in FF last night as said in a previous post.
    There were no plugins/extensions in that.

    And the password thing still didnt work in FF.

    The only thing that maybe screwing it up is Nortons Autoprotect, but Opera's
    password thing works with it on. So, why wouldnt it work with FF?

    FF has only been installed once (just the other day), since I reinstalled XP
    at the start of this year.

    Would using Sun Java, and not having MS Java installed, cause this prob?
    Again everything in Opera works fine, with Sun Java.

    The only programs running on bootup are:

    Poptray (an email notification program).
    ccapp (Part of Nortons)
    BtcMaestro (Config software for the keyboard)
    ZDWlan (For the wireless network)
    CTFMON
    Adobe speedup - For Adobe reader

    And ATIPTA - The ATI Taskbar icon.

    Paul, Feb 5, 2006
  13. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Ok, I uninstalled FF, deleted its folder in Program folder,
    deleted its folders in Documents and settings, and deleted the Mozilla
    entries in the registry. Rebooted.

    Installed FF again with Nortons off, turned Autoprotect off, and tried again
    with a site. The password prompt
    still didnt work lol.

    It looks like the only way to get this thing to work, is to drag that
    bookmarklet thing to FF. And then the PW prompt decides to come to the
    party.

    Paul, Feb 5, 2006
  14. Paul

    Ed Mullen Guest

    gwtc wrote:
> [...]

    >> It doesn't matter if you actually have an account at any of those,
    >> just fill in the login with any info and FF should prompt to save the
    >> info when you click the login button.
    >>
    >> - Put the bookmarklet into your bookmarks, visit a problem site, do as
    >> described above.
    >>
    >> Also, consider whether your installation of FF is in any way
    >> non-standard. That is, what extensions and themes are installed, have
    >> you modified the program and/or profile locations in any way, etc.
    >>
    >> What other utility/memory-resident programs are running on your system
    >> that might be interfering.
    >>
    >> The password function in Firefox most assuredly works. Something
    >> about your installation is causing this.
    >>

    > Yahoo provides to log in types. One a standard one and the other
    > secure. If I remember correctly, the Password Manager works on the
    > secured login, but not the standard one.

    It works on the one I provided. I took all of those urls from my
    passwords file. ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 6, 2006
  15. Paul

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Ok, I uninstalled FF, deleted its folder in Program folder,
    > deleted its folders in Documents and settings, and deleted the Mozilla
    > entries in the registry. Rebooted.
    >
    > Installed FF again with Nortons off, turned Autoprotect off, and tried again
    > with a site. The password prompt
    > still didnt work lol.
    >
    > It looks like the only way to get this thing to work, is to drag that
    > bookmarklet thing to FF. And then the PW prompt decides to come to the
    > party.

    It'd be appreciated if you post your replies below the quoted text.
    Virtually everyone here does that.

    You said you got it to work in another reply of yours. Understand,
    please, what is happening. The Web site may be specifically designed to
    prevent saving of passwords. There is more than one way to do this.
    The bookmarklet solution only circumvents one technique. This is not a
    flaw in Firefox. One other thing to consider, most sites that, for
    security reasons, block pw saving also provide for remembering your
    login info via setting a cookie. Depending on your cookie settings you
    may have to specifically allow cookies on a particular site for this to
    work. So, even if the bookmarklet won't work to save a pw, look at the
    site and see if it has a check mark option to "remember me".

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 6, 2006
  16. Paul

    gwtc Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>>The site gwtc referenced contains bookmarklets. Do you understand how
    >>>to use them? You drag the bookmarklet and drop it on your Firefox
    >>>bookmarks. Then, visit the site you want to log into, fill in the
    >>>login form fields, click the bookmarklet, dismiss whatever prompt it
    >>>may display, then submit the login info. If the site uses
    >>>autocomplete="off" to prevent saving of passwords Firefox should store
    >>>the login info.

    >>>Yes, IF the password was saved. If you logged into the site
    >>>previously and saved the username, but the site uses
    >>>autocomplete="off", the password was not saved. You need to use the
    >>>bookmarklet to try to defeat autocomplete="off" (assuming that's the
    >>>problem). It is also why I suggested renaming the pw file which is in
    >>>your profile and called signons.txt (or xxxxxxxx.s if your profile
    >>>came from an older version of Mozilla). See these links about profiles:
    >>>
    >>>http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    >>>http://www.holgermetzger.de/pdl.html
    >>>http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/

    >>>Be systematic about troubleshooting this.
    >>>
    >>>- Post the URL for a page where you are having problems with FF
    >>>passwords so we can test.
    >>>- rename your pw file if one exists
    >>>- Run FF in Safe Mode
    >>>- go to a site that allows saving of login and pw such as:
    >>> http://login.yahoo.com
    >>> http://delta.com
    >>> http://hiltonhhonors.com
    >>> http://hertz.com
    >>> http://www.papajohns.com
    >>> http://comcast.net
    >>> http://home.americanexpress.com
    >>>
    >>>It doesn't matter if you actually have an account at any of those,
    >>>just fill in the login with any info and FF should prompt to save the
    >>>info when you click the login button.
    >>>
    >>>- Put the bookmarklet into your bookmarks, visit a problem site, do as
    >>>described above.
    >>>
    >>>Also, consider whether your installation of FF is in any way
    >>>non-standard. That is, what extensions and themes are installed, have
    >>>you modified the program and/or profile locations in any way, etc.
    >>>
    >>>What other utility/memory-resident programs are running on your system
    >>>that might be interfering.
    >>>
    >>>The password function in Firefox most assuredly works. Something
    >>>about your installation is causing this.
    >>>

    >>Yahoo provides to log in types. One a standard one and the other
    >>secure. If I remember correctly, the Password Manager works on the
    >>secured login, but not the standard one.

    > It works on the one I provided. I took all of those urls from my
    > passwords file. ;-)

    This is the non-secured login way:
    http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=fpctx&.done=http://www.yahoo.com

    This is the secured login way:
    http://login.yahoo.com/config/login...tner=&pkg=&stepid=&.done=http://www.yahoo.com

    gwtc, Feb 6, 2006
  17. Paul

    Ed Mullen Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> Yahoo provides to log in types. One a standard one and the other
    >>> secure. If I remember correctly, the Password Manager works on the
    >>> secured login, but not the standard one.

    >> It works on the one I provided. I took all of those urls from my
    >> passwords file. ;-)
    >>

    > This is the non-secured login way:
    > http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=fpctx&.done=http://www.yahoo.com
    >
    > This is the secured login way:
    > http://login.yahoo.com/config/login...tner=&pkg=&stepid=&.done=http://www.yahoo.com

    Interesting. Both of those auto-fill my info. Without digging I can't
    be sure if it's SeaMonkey's pw function or a cookie that's doing that.
    Which, of course, speaks to one of my other replies about using the
    "remember me" cookie-based option on Web pages to get around the site's
    prevention of pw saving.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 6, 2006
  18. Paul

    gwtc Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>>It works on the one I provided. I took all of those urls from my
    >>>passwords file. ;-)
    >>>

    >>This is the non-secured login way:
    >>http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=fpctx&.done=http://www.yahoo.com
    >>
    >>This is the secured login way:
    >>http://login.yahoo.com/config/login...tner=&pkg=&stepid=&.done=http://www.yahoo.com
    >>

    > Interesting. Both of those auto-fill my info. Without digging I can't
    > be sure if it's SeaMonkey's pw function or a cookie that's doing that.
    > Which, of course, speaks to one of my other replies about using the
    > "remember me" cookie-based option on Web pages to get around the site's
    > prevention of pw saving.

    Then maybe Yahoo has changed things. I remember when they first
    started out with two logins, one would save and one wouldn't. Maybe
    things have changed since them.

    gwtc, Feb 6, 2006