    the drive in win 64, but want to make it bootable so i can load vista beta
    2.

    Thanks

    Kue2, Jun 7, 2006

  2. Install Vista. During installation you will be asked what partition to use.
    Select you desired drive. Vista will set up the boot options screen for
    you.

    You do not make a drive "bootable" prior to installing an OS.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006

  3. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Yes want to make drive bootable before installation.

    Kue2, Jun 7, 2006
  4. You can't. Just install Vista Beta 2 to the desired drive. Vista's
    setup.exe will make the drive bootable during the installation. It almost
    sounds as though you have been using cfdisk in Linux to prepare disks for
    Linux. If so, you don't have to do that for Vista.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  5. Kue2

    John John Guest

    Create a primary partition on the disk and mark it as active, the
    partition, hence the disk, is now bootable.

    That is usually done by the setup program when you install an operating
    system. You can only have one active partition on the disk at a time,
    if you want multiple bootable partitions you have to toggle the active
    flags on the partitions as needed, that can be done manually but it's a
    lot easier (A LOT EASIER!) using a third party boot manager if that is
    the type of setup you want. You can also toggle hard drives on and off
    in the BIOS to toggle and boot different hard drives, once again it is
    easier to use a boot manager to accomplish this.

    What is it that you want to do? In real life you don't really need to
    bother with this issue unless you are trying to do special multi-boot
    setups.

    John

    John John, Jun 7, 2006
  6. Kue2

    John Barnes Guest

    A drive is bootable when it has the paths to boot files. A blank drive has
    no boot files. You could copy boot files from a bootable CD or floppy if
    that is what you are trying to do, but why not use Recovery Console or the
    basic bootable floppy.

    John Barnes, Jun 7, 2006
  7. Everybody is right here, I believe.

    Making the drive active will make it bootable, but it will not actually boot
    until there's a system present, so just as well to simply use the normal
    installation.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 7, 2006
  8. what do you mean by win 64? are you already running XP64 Bit and you can see
    the drive from there? if this is the case, just format the disk, reeboot the
    computer making sure you have it set to boot from your cd\dvd drive, make
    sure you put the dvd for Vista in the drive and when prompted select the
    drive to install to!

    =?Utf-8?B?R2Vv?=, Jun 9, 2006
  9. If he is in XP Pro x64 and can see the target drive he does not have to
    format the target or reboot. He can install from the x64 desktop from the
    splash screen that appears after inserting the Vista dvd.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 9, 2006