    How do sites/pop-ups do this? (I don't *think* I clicked on anything but
    the 'X' in the corner.)

    Marilee

    Marilee, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Marilee

    Harrison Guest

    http://www.ntlworld.com/help/aup/internetannoyances.html

    Also see http://www.nevadapcs.com/scripts.htm

    Harrison, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Marilee

    Kráftéé Guest

    Marilee wrote:
    > I was looking for some music lyrics today and one of those pesky
    > pop-ups popped up. This particular one was notifying me that I was
    > being tracked, that my IP address was such-and-such (wrong, at
    > that), that my location was such-and-such (extremely far off), and
    > my cd drive 'spontaneously' opened.
    >
    > I tried to close that browser window, but the site kept reloading
    > and the cd drive tray kept opening.
    >
    > I closed ~all~ browser windows and re-opened IE. Instead of my
    > previously selected home page, that pesky site had made itself my
    > home page. (I have re-set it back to where it was before.)
    >
    > How do sites/pop-ups do this? (I don't *think* I clicked on
    > anything but the 'X' in the corner.)

    It's just one of the many built in features that MS knows about but are
    loath to actually do anything about.

    I would suggest you download & use one or more of these programs... Ad
    aware, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search & Destroy & possibly Hijack this (the
    last one being particularly good for finding out exactly what is running in
    the background)...

    Kráftéé, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Marilee wrote:

    > How do sites/pop-ups do this?  (I don't think I clicked on anything but
    > the 'X' in the corner.)

    I'd say the best way to avoid problems like this is to ditch IE and use a
    better browser. Mozilla Firebird is a damn fine browser
    (http://www.mozilla.org/)

    HTH

    Dave P

    --
    David Precious
    http://www.preshweb.co.uk/

    David Precious, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Kráftéé wrote:
    > Marilee wrote:
    >> I was looking for some music lyrics today and one of those pesky
    >> pop-ups popped up. This particular one was notifying me that I was
    >> being tracked, that my IP address was such-and-such (wrong, at
    >> that), that my location was such-and-such (extremely far off), and
    >> my cd drive 'spontaneously' opened.

    >> I tried to close that browser window, but the site kept reloading
    >> and the cd drive tray kept opening.

    >> I closed ~all~ browser windows and re-opened IE. Instead of my
    >> previously selected home page, that pesky site had made itself my
    >> home page. (I have re-set it back to where it was before.)

    >> How do sites/pop-ups do this? (I don't *think* I clicked on
    >> anything but the 'X' in the corner.)

    > It's just one of the many built in features that MS knows about but are
    > loath to actually do anything about.

    > I would suggest you download & use one or more of these programs... Ad
    > aware, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search & Destroy & possibly Hijack this (the
    > last one being particularly good for finding out exactly what is running in
    > the background)...

    You forgot to put Mozilla on the list.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    Happily slrning again.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Marilee

    Marilee Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Kráftéé wrote:
    > > Marilee wrote:
    > >> I was looking for some music lyrics today and one of those pesky
    > >> pop-ups popped up. This particular one was notifying me that I was
    > >> being tracked, that my IP address was such-and-such (wrong, at
    > >> that), that my location was such-and-such (extremely far off), and
    > >> my cd drive 'spontaneously' opened.

    > >> I tried to close that browser window, but the site kept reloading
    > >> and the cd drive tray kept opening.

    > >> I closed ~all~ browser windows and re-opened IE. Instead of my
    > >> previously selected home page, that pesky site had made itself my
    > >> home page. (I have re-set it back to where it was before.)

    > >> How do sites/pop-ups do this? (I don't *think* I clicked on
    > >> anything but the 'X' in the corner.)

    > > It's just one of the many built in features that MS knows about but are
    > > loath to actually do anything about.

    > > I would suggest you download & use one or more of these programs... Ad
    > > aware, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search & Destroy & possibly Hijack this

    (the
    > > last one being particularly good for finding out exactly what is running

    in
    > > the background)...

    > You forgot to put Mozilla on the list.

    Unfortunately, this is my work computer. I am not allowed to download and
    install ~anything~ without express permission. Otherwise I'd use Mozilla,
    Google toolbar, etc., etc.

    Marilee

    Marilee, Jan 23, 2004
  7. Marilee

    trout Guest

    Marilee wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Kráftéé wrote:

    >>> It's just one of the many built in features that MS knows about but
    >>> are loath to actually do anything about.

    >>> I would suggest you download & use one or more of these programs...
    >>> Ad aware, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search & Destroy & possibly
    >>> Hijack this (the last one being particularly good for finding out
    >>> exactly what is running in the background)...

    >> You forgot to put Mozilla on the list.

    > Unfortunately, this is my work computer. I am not allowed to
    > download and install ~anything~ without express permission.
    > Otherwise I'd use Mozilla, Google toolbar, etc., etc.
    >
    > Marilee

    Are you allowed to alter the browser settings? If so; you could go
    to the Security tab in Internet Options. Click the "Custom" button
    there, and look over the options. You may want to choose a custom
    setting for
    ActiveX controls and plug-ins.
    Needless to say, never click *anywhere* on a pop-up. Try the 'Esc'
    key, first. Sometimes, the name of the pop-up is on the taskbar, and you
    can right-click and 'Close'. But if you're otherwise defenseless; better
    to just leave the site.
    Note also; that sometimes a home-page change is just a *symptom* of
    something that you've accidentally downloaded, and will recur if the
    real problem isn't fixed.
    I'd ask the boss for permission for, at *least*, the Google toolbar.
    --
    "Isn't 'searching for things' work-related?"

    trout, Jan 24, 2004