    TIA.
    --
    Alan F Cross
    Alan F Cross, Jul 10, 2003

  2. In article <uOzBTRGBvdD$>,
    Alan F Cross <> wrote:

    > I've not dealt with RAW yet - but soon to buy my first RAW-option
    > camera.
    >
    > When you run the RAW file into Photoshop, and view with the plug-in,
    > what adjustment options are available? In particular, can you choose to
    > set a particular (calibrated) colour temperature for the derivative, or
    > do you just 'tweak' colour with the usual Photoshop controls?
    >
    > As far as other adjustments are concerned, is it a bit like the limited
    > options available with 48-bit image files? That is, levels, curves,
    > cropping and rotating, but no layering until after conversion to 24-bit?

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/camera-raw.shtml
    has a screenshot showing all the controls, and describing their
    function, for the Adobe Camera Raw plugin.

    The short answer is, yes, you can set the color temperature.
    You get a little more control of other adjustments than photoshop's
    "Levels" command, but less than "Curves", no cropping or layering. The
    rotation is only by 90 degree increments and only affects the preview
    within the plugin.

    David Eppstein, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Alan F Cross

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: Alan F Cross

    >When you run the RAW file into Photoshop, and view with the plug-in,
    >what adjustment options are available?

    There are slider controls for White Balance Setting, Temperature, Tint,
    Exposure, Shadows, Brightness, Contrast, Saturation Sharpness, & Smoothness.

    As you might have guessed, the most useful of these are the WB and the Color
    Temperature controls. When you shoot in RAW mode you don't have to worry so
    much about getting the exact White Balance setting as you can correct it easily
    with the plugin.
    Annika1980, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Alan F Cross

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    On 11-Jul-2003, Alan F Cross <> wrote:

    > This assumes that the RAW converter also knows your starting point - how
    > is it told? Or is everything relative rather than absolute?
    >
    > I really want to set a colour temperature figure in my RAW converter and
    > get exactly the same result as if I had dialled in the same temperature
    > in the camera and saved a JPEG or TIFF. Is this not how it works?

    The RAW file includes the camera's setting for the white balance. If the
    camera was on auto white balance, the color temperature measured by the
    camera will be recorded in the RAW file. The plug-in allows you to use the
    camera's value (i.e. "as shot"), pick a color balance (e.g. "tungsten"),
    enter a color temperature (e.g. 5500), or do it visually with a slider.
    There's an additional 'tint' control, so you can set a color temperature and
    then tweak it.

    --
    Tom Thackrey
    www.creative-light.com
    Tom Thackrey, Jul 11, 2003
  5. "Alan F Cross" <> wrote in message
    SNIP
    > This assumes that the RAW converter also knows your starting point - how
    > is it told?

    The camera settings themselves are stored in the EXIF data header. This
    allows Raw converters to use that as a starting point, but any setting will
    work on the original data.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Jul 11, 2003