    conversion?

    Thanks,
    Prashant.

    PrashantP, Oct 30, 2005

  2. PrashantP

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Prashant writes
    >
    >I know that my viewing/editing application uses the manufacturer
    >supplied .dll for decoding the image - question is does it convert it
    >before displaying it on the screen. In other words, in order to
    >display RAW images, is there some form of conversion taking place
    >before the result is displayed on the screen?

    Usually a small thumbnail sized jpeg is embedded in the RAW and used to
    display the image on the camera LCD.

    Bill Hilton, Oct 30, 2005

  3. PrashantP

    Ray Fischer Guest

    PrashantP <> wrote:
    >I read the other day that the individual pixels in a RAW image only
    >contain information for 1 color each. When an image is converted
    >(either in camera or on the PC) information from nearby pixels is used
    >to interpolate for the other colors.

    Correct.

    >I know that my viewing/editing application uses the manufacturer
    >supplied .dll for decoding the image - question is does it convert it
    >before displaying it on the screen. In other words, in order to
    >display RAW images, is there some form of conversion taking place
    >before the result is displayed on the screen?

    Mostr certainly.

    >And if yes, then do they use some "default" settings for this
    >conversion?

    Either the camera will provide default settings or the RAW conversion
    will provide some. For converting to JPEG the software should provide
    options at least for exposure and color balance.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Oct 30, 2005