    are available. What other options are there to be connected all the
    time everywhere you go? Also what are the most reasonable cost
    options? Thanks for any info.

    jtees4, Dec 19, 2006

  2. jtees4

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "jtees4" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just curoious as to what options there are outside the home. I bought
    > my son a laptop whiuch he uses at home and at school where networks
    > are available. What other options are there to be connected all the
    > time everywhere you go? Also what are the most reasonable cost
    > options? Thanks for any info.

    WiFi is becoming very popular. The only thing to watch for is "open
    networks" while free, are not secure, so you have to be careful. The big
    cell providers offer wireless which is secure as your cell phone. The offers
    would be on their web sites.
    Moderation is for monks."

    [Lazarus Long]

    Alex Clayton, Dec 19, 2006

  3. jtees4

    jtees4 Guest

    On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:08:11 -0800, "Alex Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    >"jtees4" <> wrote in message
    >> Just curoious as to what options there are outside the home. I bought
    >> my son a laptop whiuch he uses at home and at school where networks
    >> are available. What other options are there to be connected all the
    >> time everywhere you go? Also what are the most reasonable cost
    >> options? Thanks for any info.

    >WiFi is becoming very popular. The only thing to watch for is "open
    >networks" while free, are not secure, so you have to be careful. The big
    >cell providers offer wireless which is secure as your cell phone. The offers
    >would be on their web sites.

    Thanks. Wouldyou know of a listing or a way to find pout where open
    networks are located?

    jtees4, Dec 19, 2006
  4. jtees4

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "jtees4" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks. Wouldyou know of a listing or a way to find pout where open
    > networks are located?

    There are many here's one.
    http://wi-fi.jiwire.com/

    If you type wifi finder into a search engine you find several of these. Now
    how up to date they are I don't know.
    --
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin
    Franklin

    Alex Clayton, Dec 20, 2006
  5. jtees4

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "jtees4" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:08:11 -0800, "Alex Clayton"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"jtees4" <> wrote in message
    >>> Just curoious as to what options there are outside the home. I bought
    >>> my son a laptop whiuch he uses at home and at school where networks
    >>> are available. What other options are there to be connected all the
    >>> time everywhere you go? Also what are the most reasonable cost
    >>> options? Thanks for any info.

    >>WiFi is becoming very popular. The only thing to watch for is "open
    >>networks" while free, are not secure, so you have to be careful. The big
    >>cell providers offer wireless which is secure as your cell phone. The
    >>offers
    >>would be on their web sites.

    > Thanks. Wouldyou know of a listing or a way to find pout where open
    > networks are located?

    You get a computer that's running Windows XP with the Wireless Zero
    Configuration/*roaming* enabled, you roam around your town, and you'll
    connect to all the open wireless networks. They are tons and tons of
    unprotected wireless networks the computer will connect to I would suspect
    in your town.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 20, 2006
  6. jtees4

    jtees4 Guest

    On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 01:06:56 GMT, "Duane Arnold"
    <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote:

    >"jtees4" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:08:11 -0800, "Alex Clayton"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"jtees4" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>WiFi is becoming very popular. The only thing to watch for is "open
    >>>networks" while free, are not secure, so you have to be careful. The big
    >>>cell providers offer wireless which is secure as your cell phone. The
    >>>offers
    >>>would be on their web sites.

    >> Thanks. Wouldyou know of a listing or a way to find pout where open
    >> networks are located?

    >You get a computer that's running Windows XP with the Wireless Zero
    >Configuration/*roaming* enabled, you roam around your town, and you'll
    >connect to all the open wireless networks. They are tons and tons of
    >unprotected wireless networks the computer will connect to I would suspect
    >in your town.
    >
    >Duane :)

    Yes his laptop has xp, so I will check it later today when I see him.
    Maybe you can give me a heads up of exactly where to find this
    setting? Thanks.

    jtees4, Dec 20, 2006
  7. jtees4

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "jtees4" <> wrote in message

    > Yes his laptop has xp, so I will check it later today when I see him.
    > Maybe you can give me a heads up of exactly where to find this
    > setting? Thanks.

    One other thing you should do anyway, but especially hopping on open
    networks is make sure you have a working firewall. The one built into
    Windows is pretty much a joke. Zone Labs offer's a good one for free.

    Moderation is for monks."

    [Lazarus Long]

    Alex Clayton, Dec 20, 2006
  8. jtees4

    jtees4 Guest

    On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:30:31 -0800, "Alex Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    >"jtees4" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> Yes his laptop has xp, so I will check it later today when I see him.
    >> Maybe you can give me a heads up of exactly where to find this
    >> setting? Thanks.

    >One other thing you should do anyway, but especially hopping on open
    >networks is make sure you have a working firewall. The one built into
    >Windows is pretty much a joke. Zone Labs offer's a good one for free.

    Thanks, I usually disable the Windows Firewall. I use ZoneAlarm on one
    computer and Kerio on another.My son's computer is currently under a
    trial of McAfee. He gets Semantic free from his school so he will use
    their virus protection with either ZA or Kerio after that. Thanks
    again.

    jtees4, Dec 20, 2006
  9. jtees4

    Bob Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:

    > > Thanks. Wouldyou know of a listing or a way to find pout where open
    > > networks are located?

    > You get a computer that's running Windows XP with the Wireless Zero
    > Configuration/*roaming* enabled, you roam around your town, and you'll
    > connect to all the open wireless networks. They are tons and tons of
    > unprotected wireless networks the computer will connect to I would suspect
    > in your town.

    Is 200' still a average max range for picking up wifi?

    Bob, Dec 20, 2006
  10. jtees4

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "jtees4" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 01:06:56 GMT, "Duane Arnold"
    > <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote:
    >

    >>"jtees4" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks. Wouldyou know of a listing or a way to find pout where open
    >>> networks are located?

    >>You get a computer that's running Windows XP with the Wireless Zero
    >>Configuration/*roaming* enabled, you roam around your town, and you'll
    >>connect to all the open wireless networks. They are tons and tons of
    >>unprotected wireless networks the computer will connect to I would suspect
    >>in your town.
    >>
    >>Duane :)
    >>

    > Yes his laptop has xp, so I will check it later today when I see him.
    > Maybe you can give me a heads up of exactly where to find this
    > setting? Thanks.

    It most likely is already active. You'll find out when it you put a wireless
    card in the laptop and it shows the list of networks in the area. You just
    walk around in the your area. However, if WZC is not active, then you got to
    Start Button/Control/Panel/Perform and Maint/Admin Tools/Services and you
    see the Wireless Zero Config Listed in the services.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 21, 2006
  11. jtees4

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >
    >> > Thanks. Wouldyou know of a listing or a way to find pout where open
    >> > networks are located?

    >> You get a computer that's running Windows XP with the Wireless Zero
    >> Configuration/*roaming* enabled, you roam around your town, and you'll
    >> connect to all the open wireless networks. They are tons and tons of
    >> unprotected wireless networks the computer will connect to I would
    >> suspect
    >> in your town.
    >>

    > Is 200' still a average max range for picking up wifi?

    I know there was a card for laptops that went out 3,000', supposedly. That
    was a couple of years ago. So, I would suspect 200' in today's wireless
    world maybe average. You can check at alt.internet.wireless. The boys and
    girls there will give you the low-down on your question.

    Duane Arnold, Dec 21, 2006
  12. jtees4

    jtees4 Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 01:43:39 GMT, "Duane Arnold"
    <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote:

    >"jtees4" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 01:06:56 GMT, "Duane Arnold"
    >> <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"jtees4" <> wrote in message

    >>>You get a computer that's running Windows XP with the Wireless Zero
    >>>Configuration/*roaming* enabled, you roam around your town, and you'll
    >>>connect to all the open wireless networks. They are tons and tons of
    >>>unprotected wireless networks the computer will connect to I would suspect
    >>>in your town.
    >>>
    >>>Duane :)
    >>>

    >> Yes his laptop has xp, so I will check it later today when I see him.
    >> Maybe you can give me a heads up of exactly where to find this
    >> setting? Thanks.

    >It most likely is already active. You'll find out when it you put a wireless
    >card in the laptop and it shows the list of networks in the area. You just
    >walk around in the your area. However, if WZC is not active, then you got to
    >Start Button/Control/Panel/Perform and Maint/Admin Tools/Services and you
    >see the Wireless Zero Config Listed in the services.
    >
    >Duane :)

    Thanks, I will check tonight.

    jtees4, Dec 21, 2006
  13. jtees4

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "jtees4" <> wrote in message

    >>It most likely is already active. You'll find out when it you put a
    >>wireless
    >>card in the laptop and it shows the list of networks in the area. You just
    >>walk around in the your area. However, if WZC is not active, then you got
    >>Start Button/Control/Panel/Perform and Maint/Admin Tools/Services and you
    >>see the Wireless Zero Config Listed in the services.
    >>
    >>Duane :)
    >>

    > Thanks, I will check tonight.

    If he has bought it in the last couple years it should be built in. For at
    least a couple years now even the budget Laptops have wireless built in. I
    looked on both of my XP laptops and can't find what the poster is talking
    about here, but if it's built in you should have a wireless symbol in the
    tool bar on the lower right. At any time you can double click it and hit
    "view wireless networks" and it will show what's in range, what strength
    they are hitting you with and whether they are open or locked. Any that are
    open you can hop onto.
    --
    "Little girls, like butterflies, need no excuse".

    Lazarus Long

    Alex Clayton, Dec 21, 2006
  14. jtees4

    jtees4 Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 01:43:39 GMT, "Duane Arnold"
    <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote:

    >"jtees4" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 01:06:56 GMT, "Duane Arnold"
    >> <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"jtees4" <> wrote in message

    >>>You get a computer that's running Windows XP with the Wireless Zero
    >>>Configuration/*roaming* enabled, you roam around your town, and you'll
    >>>connect to all the open wireless networks. They are tons and tons of
    >>>unprotected wireless networks the computer will connect to I would suspect
    >>>in your town.
    >>>
    >>>Duane :)
    >>>

    >> Yes his laptop has xp, so I will check it later today when I see him.
    >> Maybe you can give me a heads up of exactly where to find this
    >> setting? Thanks.

    >It most likely is already active. You'll find out when it you put a wireless
    >card in the laptop and it shows the list of networks in the area. You just
    >walk around in the your area. However, if WZC is not active, then you got to
    >Start Button/Control/Panel/Perform and Maint/Admin Tools/Services and you
    >see the Wireless Zero Config Listed in the services.
    >
    >Duane :)

    His computer is new by the way and it of course has built in
    wireless. Just did it a few minutes ago and it was not turned on...so
    thanks for theinformation.

    jtees4, Dec 23, 2006
  15. jtees4

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    jtees4 wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 01:43:39 GMT, "Duane Arnold"
    > <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote:
    >

    >>"jtees4" <> wrote in message

    >>>Yes his laptop has xp, so I will check it later today when I see him.
    >>>Maybe you can give me a heads up of exactly where to find this
    >>>setting? Thanks.

    >>It most likely is already active. You'll find out when it you put a wireless
    >>card in the laptop and it shows the list of networks in the area. You just
    >>walk around in the your area. However, if WZC is not active, then you got to
    >>Start Button/Control/Panel/Perform and Maint/Admin Tools/Services and you
    >>see the Wireless Zero Config Listed in the services.
    >>
    >>Duane :)
    >>

    > His computer is new by the way and it of course has built in
    > wireless. Just did it a few minutes ago and it was not turned on...so
    > thanks for theinformation.

    You are welcomed. :)

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 23, 2006