    --
    Chris Green
    , Oct 6, 2012

  2. Chris Davies Guest

    wrote:
    > As per the subject, how do ISPs and/or 3-G internet providers block
    > VOIP (if they do)?

    They could trivially block traffic to port 5061 or traffic to known
    SIP end points. Or they could do packet inspection and drop packets
    containing VoIP traffic.

    > I want to use VOIP on an orange.fr 3G connection, the conditions of
    > use explicitly say that you *can* use VOIP but that to do this you
    > have to ask them to enable it on your connection. The problem is that
    > there is no clue as to how to ask for it to be enabled and no one that
    > I have spoken to at Orange has any idea about this either.

    Make a note of the date/time you called about this matter, who you spoke
    you, and the outcome. Then go ahead any try VoIP anyway.

    > Alternatively I guess one might be able to set up an ssh tunnel for
    > the VOIP ports but I'm not quite sure of the details of how one might
    > do this, does anyone have any ideas/pointers?

    You really do not want to be tunnelling time-sensitive UDP traffic over
    a TCP connection if you can possibly help it. If you get really stuck,
    take a look at the VPN capability of pbxes.org. I've not used it myself
    but ISTM that it's intended to help get around ISP port blocks.

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Oct 6, 2012

  3. On 2012-10-06, wrote:
    >Alternatively I guess one might be able to set up an ssh tunnel for
    >the VOIP ports but I'm not quite sure of the details of how one might
    >do this, does anyone have any ideas/pointers?

    As Chris says, this isn't a great idea - you'd do a lot better to use
    an individual-packet-based VPN, such as OpenVPN. For any VPN solution
    to work, you'll need an endpoint outside the network you're trying to
    tunnel out of - a server you run, or a public or commercial server if
    such are available.
    Roger Burton West, Oct 7, 2012
  4. Guest

    Roger Burton West <> wrote:
    > On 2012-10-06, wrote:
    > >Alternatively I guess one might be able to set up an ssh tunnel for
    > >the VOIP ports but I'm not quite sure of the details of how one might
    > >do this, does anyone have any ideas/pointers?

    > As Chris says, this isn't a great idea - you'd do a lot better to use
    > an individual-packet-based VPN, such as OpenVPN. For any VPN solution
    > to work, you'll need an endpoint outside the network you're trying to
    > tunnel out of - a server you run, or a public or commercial server if
    > such are available.

    OK, thanks for the feedback and ideas. I can run OpenVPN (on my home
    Linux system) but it feels like overkill for the requirements I have.
    I'll explore the alternative ports approach first.

    --
    Chris Green
    , Oct 8, 2012