    modem, but I want to connect via Ethernet now.Can someone Help eith this

    I using Windows XP

    Please reply asap
    Ling Chung Shum, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Ling Chung Shum

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    You'll need a NIC, a Network Interface Card. It's basically a modem for
    broadband. They're available for around 10 bucks nowadays at your local
    computer shop (Or even Wal-Mart). Install it in a free PCI slot on your
    motherboard, install the drivers (Windows will probably guide you through
    this with a wizard), and set your configuration as your ISP wishes. Some
    cable connections require a static IP, some are DHCP (but change IPs only
    rarely). Consult your ISP on the proper configurations. But to do this,
    you'll want to Right click My Network Places > Properties > Right click the
    new ethernet connection you just made > Properties > Internet Protocol
    TCP/IP > Properties > Set your configuration here. Good luck. Any problems,
    post back.

    KB

    Ken Briscoe, Jun 24, 2003

  3. Ling Chung Shum

    Neo Guest

    > I am a NTL Cable Broadband user and I currently Using USB to connect the
    > modem, but I want to connect via Ethernet now.Can someone Help eith this
    >
    > I using Windows XP
    >
    > Please reply asap

    I recently switched from USB to ethernet connection on my NTL cable modem.
    All you need to do is buy a network adapter , install as per the
    instructions and connect the modem to it via the cable NTL should've given
    you. No further setup is required.

    Neo

    ---
    Neo, Jun 24, 2003
  4. Ling Chung Shum

    ilmc Guest

    Ling Chung Shum typed:
    > I am a NTL Cable Broadband user and I currently Using USB to connect
    > the modem, but I want to connect via Ethernet now.Can someone Help
    > eith this
    >
    > I using Windows XP
    >
    > Please reply asap

    .... and NTL run their own ng heirarchy, including
    ntl.discussion.broadband.cm and ntl. discussion.home-networking
    ilmc, Jun 24, 2003
  5. Hello Thank for the Advise Pls I had a Laptop with Ethernet port but I had
    config the setting and isnt work the NTL didnt help much

    Please reply asap

    Ling Chung Shum, Jun 25, 2003
  6. Ling Chung Shum

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Ling Chung Shum continued:

    > Hello Thank for the Advise Pls I had a Laptop with Ethernet port but
    > I had config the setting and isnt work the NTL didnt help much

    A walrus and three acres of salt, boiled and served on a reasonable source
    of enjoyment.
    --
    slumpy
    no more