    Would I need to connect a router via the LAN and then connect a second PC to
    this?
    There is insufficient signal to use a laptop 3g card around the house. TIA.

    tony p, Mar 19, 2006

  2. tony p wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have have a 3g modem and external antenna installed for broadband as I
    > have no landline. This connects via USB to my desktop. The installer could
    > throw no light as to how to make this set-up wireless. There is no other
    > rj45 style modem available.
    > Would I need to connect a router via the LAN and then connect a second PC to
    > this?

    Yes. Just get a wireless router and run the line coming into the house
    into the wireless modem, then run a Cat5 cable to the desktop, hook up
    the notebook via wireless. That would be the normal way. But here's your
    problem, your line coming in is USB instead of ethernet and your
    notebook is also 3G instead of WIFI, but they are supposed to
    interoperate. So you need to find a wireless router that accepts a USB
    input. That may be tough.

    Another possibility is to leave it set up as is, then do Internet
    connection sharing. Get a simple 3G adapter for your desktop. That way,
    you'd be connecting the laptop directly to the desktop and get the
    connection to the net through that.

    If you don't get a better answer in this group, repost in
    alt.internet.wireless and hope that Jeff Lieberman posts a reply. I've
    not seen anybody that knows more about wireless stuff.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 19, 2006

  3. tony p

    Duane Arnold Guest

    tony p wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have have a 3g modem and external antenna installed for broadband as I
    > have no landline. This connects via USB to my desktop. The installer could
    > throw no light as to how to make this set-up wireless. There is no other
    > rj45 style modem available.

    So who said you got to use the USB modem that the ISP provides. You can
    always go buy your own RJ45 modem that has been approved to run on the
    ISP's network. The ISP should have a list of approved modem brand names.

    > Would I need to connect a router via the LAN and then connect a second PC to
    > this?

    That's what you'll need to do is get a second RJ45 NIC and if the O/S
    can do ICS off of the USB, then you will plug a wire/wireless AP router
    to the RJ45 NIC or you could plug a standalone WAP Wireless Access Point
    into the RJ45 NIC.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 19, 2006