How do I view what is connected to my wireless network?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bill & Debbie, Feb 13, 2007.

  1. Thanks in advance for your help.

    Bill & Debbie, Feb 13, 2007

  2. Bill & Debbie

    David Hettel Guest

    Well you are not really giving us much to work with here. One way is to go
    to your router's home page and look at the connections to the DHCP server,
    it will have all devices listed that are connected to it. This will include
    MAC address and may include names.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Feb 13, 2007

  3. I realize I didn't give much information. I was hoping that there would be
    some general way using Windows to look at a wireless network and see its
    status and what is connected. I guess this is not an option. Based on what
    you have said, I guess the only way to obtain this information is to go to
    the router and look it up.

    The router I am using is the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 and the OS is WinXP Home.

    If you can tell me more, I would appreciate it very much.
    Thanks for your help,
    Bill

    Bill & Debbie, Feb 13, 2007
  4. Bill & Debbie

    David Hettel Guest

    You might try something like http://www.lookatlan.com/ But most wireless
    cards for windows do not support promiscuous mode, and with out that mode it
    doesn't really work. You could also look at software that does a ping sweep,
    but the devices need to respond to a ping for this to work. It depends if
    you are looking for hidden devices or devices trying not to be seen.

    David Hettel, Feb 13, 2007
  5. Hi
    Wireless computers do not connect to your computers (unless it is
    specifically set to do so).
    In common Wireless Networks like the one that you have any Wireless computer
    that its parameters matches can connect to your Wireless Router. Once
    connected to the Router they can use your Internet connection and the
    Network.
    I do not have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 were I am right now, but the Buffalo
    just like any other Wireless Router, as a table that show the devices that
    are connected to it. Log with your Internet Browser to the Router and take a
    look (read the manual for specific instructions).
    If you do not want Unauthorized connection you should use the security
    setting of the Router.
    The Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 is one of the best and offer WPA-AES which is
    excellent Wireless security.
    From the weakest to the Strongest..
    No Security
    MAC
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    The security must be set according to lowest capable Wireless component.
    I.e. even most of you Wireless are capable to do WPA2, but one device is
    only capable to do WEP, the whole system must be configured to WEP.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 13, 2007
  6. I could be wrong but based on Bill & Debbie's actual question, could they not
    just go: Start/ Settings/Control Panel/My Network Places or Network
    Connections (depending on XP Home or XP Pro)? From there they should be able
    to see everything from a virtual standpoint as to what is connected to their
    system. This of course is providing they are talking just about their own
    in-house setup.
    Again, I am just speculating on the nature of the original question.
    Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbWFzUA==?=, Feb 14, 2007
  7. Hi
    The Start/ Settings/Control Panel/My Network Places or Network
    Would show computers that are legally connected to the Network and are set
    to Share resources (File Sharing).
    If someone logs directly to the Wireless Router (like dishonest neighbor) it
    would not show on any of the Networked computers.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 14, 2007