    so how do I get this Legally..?

    Yes updating my old P4 system..

    But I still need XP..
    Possible, Jan 31, 2012

  2. Possible

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , Possible says...

    > Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
    > so how do I get this Legally..?
    >
    > Yes updating my old P4 system..
    >
    > But I still need XP..

    Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you can
    run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jan 31, 2012

  3. On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:35:41 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >On 31/01/2012 7:04 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>

    >> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
    >> so how do I get this Legally..?
    >>
    >> Yes updating my old P4 system..
    >>
    >> But I still need XP..
    >>

    >You're wrong as usual Woger. XP Home supports multiple cores, but not
    >multiple physical CPUs.

    I MAM NOT WRONG ITS FROM INFO POSTED ON THE NET.
    Frank Williams, Jan 31, 2012
  4. On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 00:09:09 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >, Possible says...
    >>
    >> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
    >> so how do I get this Legally..?
    >>
    >> Yes updating my old P4 system..
    >>
    >> But I still need XP..

    >Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you can
    >run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

    From what I have been reading that XP app's in Virtual PC is Very
    limited and you need a CPU that supports it, Plus does this get loaded
    every time I boot up.
    Frank Williams, Jan 31, 2012
  5. On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 08:21:22 +1300, Mutlley <>
    wrote:

    >Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >>, Possible says...
    >>>
    >>> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
    >>> so how do I get this Legally..?
    >>>
    >>> Yes updating my old P4 system..
    >>>
    >>> But I still need XP..

    >>Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you can
    >>run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

    >He said "Old P4" which will have hardware (driver) limitations on
    >Win 7.

    I did state Updating, Win7 works perfectly on the P4. but XP Virtual
    PC, smell to much for me, has some limitations CPU for one..
    Frank Williams, Jan 31, 2012
  6. Possible

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, mutley2000
    @hotmail.com, Mutlley says...

    > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >, Possible says...
    > >>
    > >> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
    > >> so how do I get this Legally..?
    > >>
    > >> Yes updating my old P4 system..
    > >>
    > >> But I still need XP..

    > >Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you can
    > >run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

    > He said "Old P4" which will have hardware (driver) limitations on
    > Win 7.

    He *also* said he's updating it - and above that - I presumed from the
    multicore comment, it's a major update. (Isn't the P4 single-core? I
    think they produced a dual-core "Extreme Edition" release - the last of
    the P4's?).

    And anyway, Windows 7 has *great* hardware driver support!

    Perhaps the OP can clarify on the updating details :)

    PS: I run Win7 on an earlier Pentium, 1.6Gz CPU - an old laptop -
    because it supports the hardware better than XP. It's as slow as, but
    then it's only to provide a wee machine in the kitchen - music and
    internet etc.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 1, 2012
  7. Possible

    David Empson Guest

    Frank Williams <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:35:41 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    > >On 31/01/2012 7:04 p.m., Possible wrote:
    > >>

    > >> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
    > >> so how do I get this Legally..?
    > >>
    > >> Yes updating my old P4 system..
    > >>
    > >> But I still need XP..
    > >>

    > >You're wrong as usual Woger. XP Home supports multiple cores, but not
    > >multiple physical CPUs.

    > I MAM NOT WRONG ITS FROM INFO POSTED ON THE NET.

    You are wrong, Roger.

    Google search for "xp home multiple core" led to several links,
    including this as the third one:

    <http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/mu
    lti-core-processor-and-multiprocessor-limit-for/abd0a0ce-4ac2-484b-88cb-
    fbf93beb54e0>

    "Dual-Core
    Microsoft's licensing policy limits the number of processors Windows
    supports for its Home and Professional versions, as outlined below. It's
    important to understand, however, that this is on a per-processor basis,
    not a per-core basis. This means that, under the licensing policy, a
    dual- or even quad-core processor counts as a single
    processor---something that confused many people in the early days of
    dual-core technology."

    And that's from a Windows support engineer at Microsoft.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Feb 1, 2012
  8. Possible

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1kesfd8.xixus41pac4j0N%>,
    , David Empson says...

    > Frank Williams <> wrote:

    > > >You're wrong as usual Woger. XP Home supports multiple cores, but not
    > > >multiple physical CPUs.

    > > I MAM NOT WRONG ITS FROM INFO POSTED ON THE NET.

    > You are wrong, Roger.
    >
    > Google search for "xp home multiple core" led to several links,
    > including this as the third one:
    >
    > <http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/mu
    > lti-core-processor-and-multiprocessor-limit-for/abd0a0ce-4ac2-484b-88cb-
    > fbf93beb54e0>
    >
    > "Dual-Core
    > Microsoft's licensing policy limits the number of processors Windows
    > supports for its Home and Professional versions, as outlined below. It's
    > important to understand, however, that this is on a per-processor basis,
    > not a per-core basis. This means that, under the licensing policy, a
    > dual- or even quad-core processor counts as a single
    > processor---something that confused many people in the early days of
    > dual-core technology."
    >
    > And that's from a Windows support engineer at Microsoft.

    Dunno what you guys are arguing about - but if it's Woger :) Indeed
    that's correct though, it's a per CPU basis, not what shows up in Task
    Manager - which counts (or shows) cores as CPU's.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 1, 2012
  9. Possible

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, mutley2000
    @hotmail.com, Mutlley says...

    > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >, Possible says...
    > >>
    > >> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
    > >> so how do I get this Legally..?
    > >>
    > >> Yes updating my old P4 system..
    > >>
    > >> But I still need XP..

    > >Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you can
    > >run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

    > He said "Old P4" which will have hardware (driver) limitations on
    > Win 7.

    OK, noted that Woger is using yet another nym, Possible. Added to bozo
    bin - outta here :)

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 1, 2012
  10. Possible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>, mutley2000
    > @hotmail.com, Mutlley says...

    [snip]
    >> He said "Old P4" which will have hardware (driver) limitations on
    >> Win 7.

    > He *also* said he's updating it - and above that - I presumed from the
    > multicore comment, it's a major update. (Isn't the P4 single-core? I
    > think they produced a dual-core "Extreme Edition" release - the last
    > of the P4's?).

    Pretty much. The Pentium D was basically a dual-core Pentium 4 though, a
    NetBurst CPU. A dual-core P4 in all but name. I think that a lot of the
    later P4 Mobos could run it.

    So, it's possible that an "old P4" could be "updated" and become a dual-core
    machine. FWIW.
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Feb 1, 2012
  11. Possible

    JohnO Guest

    On Feb 1, 10:27 am, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:35:41 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    > >On 31/01/2012 7:04 p.m., Possible wrote:

    > >> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU   you need XP Pro to supportit,
    > >> so how do I get this Legally..?

    > >> Yes updating my old P4  system..

    > >> But I still need XP..

    > >You're wrong as usual Woger.  XP Home supports multiple cores, but not
    > >multiple physical CPUs.

    > I MAM NOT WRONG ITS FROM INFO POSTED ON THE NET.

    LOL. You're funny, Woger.
    JohnO, Feb 1, 2012
  12. Possible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>, mutley2000
    > @hotmail.com, Mutlley says...
    >>
    >> Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> , Possible says...

    >>> Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you
    >>> can run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

    >> He said "Old P4" which will have hardware (driver) limitations on
    >> Win 7.

    > OK, noted that Woger is using yet another nym, Possible. Added to
    > bozo bin - outta here :)

    Heh! That one's still in my bin from last time he used it. I've been
    exporting/importing killfiles from one install to another for years and
    Woger's in there many, many times. In fact I think he's well over 50% of my
    killfile / Blocked sender list under various guises.

    ~misfit~, Feb 1, 2012
  13. On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 13:08:39 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>, mutley2000
    >@hotmail.com, Mutlley says...
    >>
    >> Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>,
    >> >, Possible says...

    >> >Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you can
    >> >run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

    >> He said "Old P4" which will have hardware (driver) limitations on
    >> Win 7.

    >He *also* said he's updating it - and above that - I presumed from the
    >multicore comment, it's a major update. (Isn't the P4 single-core? I
    >think they produced a dual-core "Extreme Edition" release - the last of
    >the P4's?).
    >
    >And anyway, Windows 7 has *great* hardware driver support!

    Not for a HP Scanjet 5470c and a Epson R310 has limited support.

    >Perhaps the OP can clarify on the updating details :)

    ASrock Z68 Pro3-M with a i5-2500K 4 megs of ram, Aero cool Qs-200
    case

    I think that's sort of a Major update..

    Frank Williams, Feb 1, 2012
  14. Possible

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 18:42:31 +1300, EMB <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >On 1/02/2012 3:05 p.m., JohnO wrote:

    >>> I MAM NOT WRONG ITS FROM INFO POSTED ON THE NET.

    >> LOL. You're funny, Woger.

    >I'll bet he won't apologise for being wrong though.

    Woger has all the self-awareness of an Act leader on a tax-payer
    funded junket with a girl friend.
    Donchano, Feb 1, 2012
  15. Possible

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 21:32:58 +1300, EMB <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >>> I'll bet he won't apologise for being wrong though.

    >> Woger has all the self-awareness of an Act leader on a tax-payer
    >> funded junket with a girl friend.
    >>

    >Or a Labour MP visiting the Asia-Pacific Interfaith Cooperation for
    >Peace and Harmony Conference with his boyfriend.

    True.
    Donchano, Feb 1, 2012
  16. Possible

    Auld Phostle Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:27:08 +1300, Frank Williams
    <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:35:41 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 31/01/2012 7:04 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
    >>> so how do I get this Legally..?
    >>>
    >>> Yes updating my old P4 system..
    >>>
    >>> But I still need XP..
    >>>

    >> You're wrong as usual Woger. XP Home supports multiple cores, but not
    >> multiple physical CPUs.

    > I MAM NOT WRONG ITS FROM INFO POSTED ON THE NET.

    Why do you not post a link, so we can all see if your info is more
    reliable than Microsoft Answers.

    Microsoft Answers says you are wrong.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ome/76ca34df-c428-4b56-bb58-2132d45cec8a#last

    XP Home does indeed support a dual core processor. Also, it is
    considerably less expensive than XP Pro and is very similar. Unless
    you must join a domain, you might as well go for the more affordable
    XP Home.

    AFAIK, the only way to purchase XP these days is from a reputable
    business that is selling old stock. You might want to try Ebay and
    only look at vendors with very high ratings.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...imit-for/abd0a0ce-4ac2-484b-88cb-fbf93beb54e0

    Auld Phostle, Feb 1, 2012
  17. Possible

    Auld Phostle Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:30:22 +1300, Frank Williams
    <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 00:09:09 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> , Possible says...
    >>>
    >>> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
    >>> so how do I get this Legally..?
    >>>
    >>> Yes updating my old P4 system..
    >>>
    >>> But I still need XP..

    >> Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you can
    >> run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

    > From what I have been reading that XP app's in Virtual PC is Very
    > limited and you need a CPU that supports it, Plus does this get loaded
    > every time I boot up.

    Virtual PC does not need a CPU that supports it. Virtual PC has not
    needed this for nearly 2 years.

    Methinks you are out of date and not keeping up. You info is past its
    use by date.
    Auld Phostle, Feb 1, 2012
  18. On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 22:19:41 +1300, Auld Phostle
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 10:27:08 +1300, Frank Williams
    ><> wrote:

    >>> You're wrong as usual Woger. XP Home supports multiple cores, but not
    >>> multiple physical CPUs.

    >> I MAM NOT WRONG ITS FROM INFO POSTED ON THE NET.

    >Why do you not post a link, so we can all see if your info is more
    >reliable than Microsoft Answers.

    I visited some 50 forums or more on a variety of subjects so do you
    think I would remember the link, lets get real.

    >Microsoft Answers says you are wrong.

    No I posted what I had READ..

    And don't get off the real reason that I posted was how to I upgrade XP
    to Pro..
    Frank Williams, Feb 1, 2012
  19. Possible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 21:32:58 +1300, EMB <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:

    >>> Woger has all the self-awareness of an Act leader on a tax-payer
    >>> funded junket with a girl friend.
    >>>

    >> Or a Labour MP visiting the Asia-Pacific Interfaith Cooperation for
    >> Peace and Harmony Conference with his boyfriend.

    > True.

    Oi! I stopped reading nz.gen to get away from all of the political shite.
    Please don't drag it into nz.comp as well. As I used to point out when I
    *was* an inmate of the looney bin, there's actually an nz.politics
    newsfroup....

    TYVMIA. :)

    ~misfit~, Feb 2, 2012
  20. Possible

    Donchano Guest

    On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 15:23:25 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    >> On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 21:32:58 +1300, EMB <> shouted
    >> from the highest rooftop:

    >>> Or a Labour MP visiting the Asia-Pacific Interfaith Cooperation for
    >>> Peace and Harmony Conference with his boyfriend.

    >> True.

    >Oi! I stopped reading nz.gen to get away from all of the political shite.
    >Please don't drag it into nz.comp as well. As I used to point out when I
    >*was* an inmate of the looney bin, there's actually an nz.politics
    >newsfroup....
    >
    >TYVMIA. :)

    Fair enough.
    Donchano, Feb 2, 2012